rllmuk
JohnC

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Netflix

Finished now and I'm surprised I didn't get a ton of negs for what I said before, I was so wrong. The female characters have so many strong moments in the last few episodes. Incredible finish and the making of documentary was well worth a watch too!

And because - controversial opinion klaxon - it's not the masterpiece some of the hype in here is making it out to be. 

It's visually lovely, the musical score is majestic, and the voice acting is good. The plot and writing, however, are not on the same level; very predictable, and the dialogue is just one clunky cliché after another. The good voice acting goes a long way to saving what is otherwise really bad, George Lucas level dialogue. 

It is an enjoyable fantasy show, however  I'm only halfway through it (literally, finished ep 5 last night). I'm looking forward to the quality improving based on recent posts. 

Spoiler

The peeper beetle is the stuff of nightmares. The scene itself was brilliantly, horrifyingly done. 

The gobbles, less so. Their later scene wasn't just foreshadowed, it was slapped in your face. Wasn't expecting the baddie to escape though. 

Edit: Actually I've only finished Episode 4. 

• Upvote 1

I’m on episode 7 and have just met the 

Spoiler

Heretic. Is it explained later why he has the same red furry hands as the scientist, whose hands turned like that when he was drained by the Crystal. Intrigued  me..

This series is gorgeous and so well done. 

I stopped watching this at episode 7, it was starting to drag for me.

Spoiler

I always find puppets putting on puppet shows fun to watch, and episode 7 was no exception. Everything looked so amazing. But I think it was maybe a little too self indulgent and I felt as though the plot was starting to grind its gears. Even with what happened at the end of the episode, I didn't feel the immediate need to watch the next episode as I had before.

I've actually binge watched the first two seasons of Mr Robot in the meantime, and should really get back to Dark Crystal, if opinions in here are anything to go by.

Very surprised to read that some people thought the plot was treading water.

One of the things I loved about it was how tight and focused the plot was compared to most shows these days - so much happened in such a brief number of episodes and it never left us hanging on something unnecessarily.

• Upvote 6

I did have similar feelings to @Thor, but when I was staying up late to watch the next episode I realised any reservations I had were irrelevant, this is a brilliantly realised fantasy series and I think there's a whole generation who will absolutely treasure this. And have nightmares.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I did have similar feelings to @Thor, but when I was staying up late to watch the next episode I realised any reservations I had were irrelevant, this is a brilliantly realised fantasy series and I think there's a whole generation who will absolutely treasure this. And have nightmares.

I am not convinced the next generation will take it on. I loved it, remembering the original and how it made me feel.  But I grew up with Fraggle Rock, the Muppets and all the other amazing creations from JH.  Speaking to a few millenials at work about it and they aren't really interested.  Why I ask, because it's all puppets they say. FFS, they would rather watch some crap CGI than something that looks real and has been performed.  No one is watching it where I work though, which is odd as we are a childcare organisation but maybe it's more appealing to geeks like me.

My 8 year old nephew never got past the first episode. "This looks old, it's rubbish." 

It's not rubbish, but I can see why he thinks it is when he's used to Marvel's output. 

2 hours ago, macosx said:

Some of the pupper faces are good and really expressive , especially Brea and Deet but Rian and Gurjin look too puppety for me.

Spoiler: Some CGI was used to help make them more expressive and added blinks.

14 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Spoiler: Some CGI was used to help make them more expressive and added blinks.

Its not that, it’s just some are more less doll like . Are all of the Skiksis tongues cgi; loads of work if so.

The film spoils the series sadly.

Spoiler

You know Mother Aughra will not stay dead for long, as she's in the film. You also know the Emperor will live along with most of the other Skeksis, and that the General will kick the bucket, as its a different Skeksis in the film, etc.

Shame really, but I'd rather the sequel have been made (the graphic novels pictured above) into a series, along with a shorter version of this.

Maybe a sequel series will follow?

Also, knowing where we end up and how we get there are very different things. By your logic Breaking Bad ruins Better Call Saul. Which of course it doesn’t.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

The film spoils the series sadly.

Reveal hidden contents

You know Mother Aughra will not stay dead for long, as she's in the film. You also know the Emperor will live along with most of the other Skeksis, and that the General will kick the bucket, as its a different Skeksis in the film, etc.

Shame really, but I'd rather the sequel have been made (the graphic novels pictured above) into a series, along with a shorter version of this.

It's a prequel and it has more gravitas knowing what happens in the film first