rllmuk
JohnC

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Netflix

Despite being a big Henson fan, I was always lukewarm on The Dark Crystal. This marvellous series has now changed all that though. I watched the film again last night, straight after finishing the series, and realised what a fool I’ve been all these years. It’s a bleeding masterpiece.

The show has done what so many prequels fail to do, it fleshes out the world in a way that actually enhances the film. I’d recommend people watch (or re watch) the film after seeing the series. You feel so much more investment into the world, and a real sense of sorrow at how everything has changed.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Noticed this in the credits:

C55E69DD-3912-4773-BD01-3F8909A3F601.thumb.png.c97fbac0726987b69dd147de710dd42f.png

:D “Podling Linguist”

Actually a real job according to the documentary.

BIG FUCK OFF SPOILER FOR THE END

Spoiler

When the Scientist was beating that poor creature to death it made me feel physically sick.

Watched the movie and first episode of the show last night. While the movie was useful context and really clever at points it didn’t really generate a lot of excitement, however... the first episode of the TV show was fantastic and actually made me appreciate the movie more and what it did for it’s time. Can’t wait to get into a few more tonight!

Yeah it shouldn't be a PG (last episode spoilers)

Spoiler

The mass murder of those soldiers was pretty horrible with them contemplating their painful deaths before it..... happening

And those poor henchmen being beaten to death! No pay off at all. 

I guess they get away with it because they are puppets?!

Nightmare fuel, no doubt though it'll leave a real impression on anyone of the right age.

Just watched Episode 8.

Spoiler

Phew, this is getting really tough to watch. I love these characters (Brea, especially Hup and Deet, and even Rian) and there’s a real sense of jeopardy for all of them now. The suspension of disbelief is incredibly easy with this strength of writing and performance. The Skeksis have gone completely off the reservation now, and it’s all up for grabs. Aaaggghh!

Amazing stuff.

On 02/09/2019 at 10:05, Capwn said:

Does it get better after episode 1? I was always a kid who loved Labyrinth but DarkCrystal felt too mumbo jumbo, like it was written by a 11 year old boy. Watching episode 1 brought back the same feelings, it's difficult to find any depth to the characters/world. Is episode 1 the weakest?

I have to say, I have kept with it, currently at episode 6 and some kind of story is starting to formulate now. I have a SENSE of what on earth is going on finally and what the show is trying to do. I'm still not massively enjoying it but glad I have started to get into it.

• Upvote 1

My only gripe is the role is male and female characters is so stereotyped. The girls crying over everything, needing saving and protecting, the boys keeping it all together and doing all the dirty work. It was really apparent in how the two respective characters dealt with 

Spoiler

Losing their parents

Other then that, amazing TV! I'm not going to rush these last two episodes

7 hours ago, Jackson said:

My only gripe is the role is male and female characters is so stereotyped. The girls crying over everything, needing saving and protecting, the boys keeping it all together and doing all the dirty work. It was really apparent in how the two respective characters dealt with 

Hide contents

Losing their parents

Other then that, amazing TV! I'm not going to rush these last two episodes

That feels like quite a cherry-picked criticism, a lot of the strongest characters were female, in fact the show seemed to make a point of it. 

Aughra, Brea, Deet, Maudra Fara, all strong and driving the story along. 

• Upvote 6

I don't disagree, but it was definitely noticeable in the middle few episodes for me anyway. Haven't finished it yet. Don't get me wrong, this is still up there with Chernobyl as some of the best TV of all time.

I absolutely loved and appreciated the craft, the expansive world building, the overall story arc creating such a wonderful and truly worthy backstory (with hopefully more to come).

I was impressed and shocked at the themes this dared to tread, and at how it managed to do so whilst neither trivialising nor dwelling too heavily on them. It was profound and silly in equal measure, as well as current and important. Nicely dropped in climate denial – "There is no Darkening!", as well as Chamberlain invoking Trumpisms "sad, so sad"

I utterly adored Hup and his spoons. What a guy! Along with Deet, my two favourites.

I did think all the sighing and gasping (particularaly from Brea) was a bit much at times though!

There was so much detail and so much to love that I can't possibly cover it all, but suffice to say it was pretty much all I hoped for.

Some small negatives..

Spoiler

Seladon's story was a bit off IMO, didn't quite think her arc had time to get into redemption – build up was brilliant but I wasn't sure she deserved to be taken back in quite so readily.. perhaps just me?

I was annoyed at the battle, felt the Gelfling had an easy chance to finish the job - did I miss something? They had a whole army and Deet had protected them from the Darkening. Yes, I know in terms of the story they can't do that, and that Rian had said "[Gelfling] aren't murderers".. but seriously.. the Skeksis were more than deserving of their fate.

Also, the intro voice over was rubbish compared to the original.

• Upvote 1

I just finished this and thought it was marvelous.  Enjoyed every minute.  I was quite shocked in places and surprised its a PG.  

Looking forward to season 2, pleeeeeaaaseee....hhmmmm......yessss

On 14/09/2019 at 10:30, Bazjam said:

The making of doc is really good. Hits home what a staggering amount of work they had to do.

Where can I watch that?

Gonna watch the film (again). And then the docu that's on Netflix.

I notice they are also reissuing the original Brian Froud book on the designs for the film, and releasing a similar book for the Age of Resistance. Both in early November.

There is also a Visual Guide to the original film that is available now. Anyone have it?

3 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

I just finished this and thought it was marvelous.  Enjoyed every minute.  I was quite shocked in places and surprised its a PG.  

Looking forward to season 2, pleeeeeaaaseee....hhmmmm......yessss

Where can I watch that?

It's on Netflix. Search under "making of" rather that "Dark Crystal" bizarrely. Took me a while to find it at first.

• Upvote 2

Finished it tonight, what an incredible achievement. Strange thing to say considering the movie was made getting on for 40 years ago, but it seemed unlikely anything with that level of imagination and creativity could ever be made again.

I watched the Dark Crystal countless times as a child (was 5 when it came out) but I think my dad must have forced us to watch it because it was terrifying and would never have chosen to watch it willingly (the tragic podling being zombified stuck deep in my subconscious). I actually remember watching it at primary school once also. I also have clear memories of the puppeteers for the Landstriders and Garthim being on Blue Peter and showing how the suits work.

I expected this to be a one and done series, but the final episode did not tie things up as they need to be for the movie. I hope we get more as the last episode was probably my least favourite of them all and didn't leave me satisfied.

P.S. the Fizzgig with the eyepatch... same one from the movie? I seem to remember it had an eyepatch too but it might be a trick of the mind.

19 hours ago, jonamok said:

Gonna watch the film (again). And then the docu that's on Netflix.

I notice they are also reissuing the original Brian Froud book on the designs for the film, and releasing a similar book for the Age of Resistance. Both in early November.

There is also a Visual Guide to the original film that is available now. Anyone have it?

Ive got the original Art Of The Dark Crystal art book on my shelf, chosen as my six form art prize in 1983 :) seems it’s worth £100.

just watched he’s the episode 

Spoiler

Where a beetle eats a Skeksis eye out!

Grim stuff

Well that was awesome.

Season 2 must be a certainty. We laughed, cried and loved every minute.

And Hup. Hup is my favourite character ever.

And look what my partner surprised me with:

IMG_20190917_083158928_resize_31.jpg

• Upvote 2

The Making of is fantastic, made me very sad that I just do a mediocre management job and didn't follow the creative path I should have done.

They really have created a masterpiece and you can tell how much love went in to it.

I also didn't realise how many famous voices are in it.

• Upvote 1

Just finished a rewatch of the film, and while the sheer imagination and puppetry performance is still amazing, I was surprised how comparatively mediocre Jen’s script and vocal performance were, and how relatively simple and perfunctory some of the framing and camerawork was.

It’s still great and I love it, but it really shows how much the writing and direction have improved for the series.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

...and how relatively simple and perfunctory some of the framing and camerawork was.

That's what they were talking about in the doc, the director was using multiple camera and moving them which had not really been done before with puppets.

Half way through episode 5 and this is just absolutely spell binding! I have never described anything using that phrase but it feels so appropriate here.

To bring this world to life the way they have and create such attachment and investment in characters like this is unbelievable. Not just a incredible feat of animation but story telling too :wub: