rllmuk
JohnC

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Netflix

It looks brilliant, but I really wish they’d made the movement of the characters mouths more realistic. It’s the one thing that really takes me out of the original film.

56 minutes ago, JPL said:

It looks brilliant, but I really wish they’d made the movement of the characters mouths more realistic. It’s the one thing that really takes me out of the original film.

Maybe they did it to fit in with the original. 

Just now, Cool Ben said:

Maybe they did it to fit in with the original. 

Yeah, of course. They added in plenty of new CGI effects though, so I don't think sorting the mouths would have been too much of a leap. I'll give it a go, but I'm worried it'll put me off.

I watched the original again last night on Netflix in 4k. Can't say I was that impressed with the image quality even so, but it's still an amazing film. They really don't make them like they used to. It's a film I would hold up there with something like Who Framed Roger Rabbit as an example of the sheer crafted magic you got in those days. The closest modern equivalent to them is probably something like Into the Spiderverse.

• Upvote 2

I also just got done with a rewatch in preparation. I say rewatch, I'm now wondering if I ever saw the whole thing when I was younger, the nightmare fuel at start might have just been too much for my young, impressionable brain because I really didn't recall much of anything past that. It's hard to know what's nostalgia and what isn't, but the puppetry holds up so well, even now.

Watched this again tonight in prep for the prequal. 

The world building alone appears effortless and it really makes me think Henson was doing what Jim Cameron did with Avatar but decades earlier and just as well. Its a great bloody movie.

Cannot wait for the 30th now. 

There's an amazing Youtube doc series about Henson that's a nice watch before the new series comes out. Digs into the making of Dark Crystal along with all Henson's other stuff

Those coffee ads are genuinely amazing.

EDIT: I challenge anyone to watch that entire series of videos and not be a blubbering wreck by the end of it.

• Upvote 1

A lot of different characters to keep track of as they introduced them in the first episode. Second episode is a lot better though once you know who everyone is. I love the way the Podlings talk with random English words thrown into their conversation.

Given that this is a prequel and how the film starts off with...

Spoiler

all the Gelflings dead apart from two, surely that can only lead to a rather grim conclusion for the series. Although, I think I heard one character say something about rewriting the future  and new beginnings, so maybe things get changed, like an alternate timeline?

I think the less I know, the better. It'll be interesting to see where it all ends up.

17 hours ago, papalazarou said:

One episode in and it’s brilliant plus looks stunning in 4k

Is there a separate 4K version? The only one I can find says HDR but no mention of 4K (or UHD etc.) in the captions. How does Netflix label its 4K stuff?

7 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Is there a separate 4K version? The only one I can find says HDR but no mention of 4K (or UHD etc.) in the captions. How does Netflix label its 4K stuff?

depends on what you are accessing Netflix with - if i use my Virgin Tivo box its shows the netflix 4k stuff as HDR but if i use netflix app on my 4k tv it shows as Dolby Vision 

• Upvote 1

Dolby vision for me.

This is incredible, the amount of work and imagination going into this is extraordinary.

The original film is a dark fantasy classic, expanding on it and building it up on the world is beautiful stuff.

The skeksi’s features and articulation especially on the mouth and tongue give me memories of Frank Oz’s Little Shop of Horrors.