IGNORED

Okja - Bong Joon ho - Trailer

mr_woo

This seems a bit toooooo close to Gus Fring for my liking but other than that this looks like one to look out for. Nice to see Netflix doing some really out there movies lately. Great cast too!

wsWoAem.png

• 1 month later...

This was really nicely done. Strong animal rights message, but with a lot of humour and not sickly sweet. I enjoyed it a lot, though I found the ending quite distressing.

I just watched it. It's awesome. 

I was surprised at how funny, silly and weird it was. It did get sad and a bit uncomfortable at times, but overall it was great.

I've maybe said it before, but over the past few years Korean filmmakers have been amazing.

The themes are quite heavy for kids too. One of my daughters would have started crying pretty early on at the idea of okja being killed (if not at the earlier fall) and not let up for the rest of the film. I'd not recommend it to anyone of primary school age, despite the wonderful animation of the main character.

Plus the main character speaks no English so there are a lot of subtitles and bits to read for kids to keep pace with the story. And the humor is quite dark/surreal at times.

12 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Eeeehhh, was thinking of watching this, but if there's animal cruelty/deaths, I'm out. No way.

It isn't super explicit/gory but it is on that theme, so there is a slaughter house scene, for example.

If you're ok with kids hearing the F bomb every now and again then all the power to you but I can understand why some would/wouldn't. Obviously it's up the individual parent/s to decide.

As mentioned earlier I agree that the swearing is a bit of a shame because it really didn't need it IMO. I get what they were trying to do, I think it was their intention to have this movie that on the surface has characters (both human/creature) from a Disney/Pixar movie but then mashes that up with adult tones. It does give the film a lot of character and identity that stands out from most movies but for me it was a bit too 'Howard the Duck' at times. That aside, it's a cracking film. I still prefer 'BeastOfNoNation' for best Netflix original movie but Okja joins it as what I consider Netflix's second classic.

Any parent that's not OK with swearing gets my vote. But automatically saying a movie is not suitable for children because it has swearing does not get my approval. For me personally, I think swearing incites imagination and conversation. So I don't object.

I watched The Exorcist with my daughter when she was 11 and we both agree (sh's 18 now) it was a milestone in her development.

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Why does swearing make it unsuitable for kids?

I just don't think a 9 yr old needs to hear the fuck / fucking word several times in a film. 

I find the swearing a little out of place in this film. It dosent add anything to it. 

I thought this was very good – thoughtful, moving, funny, with an incredibly well-realised CGI 'star' – but every time Jake Gyllenhaal's character appeared I felt my enjoyment plummeting. I normally like him, but for me his was an unbearably shrill and overripe performance that actively harmed the film. 

And yeah, I agree with the swearing thing. Don't mind my son seeing films with the odd f-bomb, but it was used excessively here and I'm not sure the film really benefitted from it. What's odd is that it carries a G rating, which suggests it's suitable for kids, yet it's a BBFC 15.

Just finished this now and still processing it but I thought it was fantastic.  The relationship between Okja and Mija was so incredibly sweet and such a driving force of the film it really moved me.  Especially loved the ending and leading up to it.  The little girl playing Mija was fantastic and she's got a good career ahead of her should she want to do more acting.

Tilda Swinton was a bit over the top but pretty good and didn't really annoy me too much.  Jake Gyllenhaals character was incredibly fuckin irritating and by far the low point.  However I did get a good belly laugh when

Lucy Mirando basically told him to shut the fuck up and stop being a whiny bastard during a meeting with everyone

Thought Paul Dano/the ALF lot were pretty decent as well.

Probably my third favourite Bong Joon Ho film after Memories Of Murder and Barking Dogs Never Bite with The Host being my least favourite.  I haven't seen Snowpiercer and Mother though so I should remedy that.  If 'The Host' is your worst film though (to me anyway) then you must be doing something right as a filmmaker!

I also really want a bacon sandwich now.

On 01/07/2017 at 16:12, Rudderless said:

I thought this was very good – thoughtful, moving, funny, with an incredibly well-realised CGI 'star' – but every time Jake Gyllenhaal's character appeared I felt my enjoyment plummeting. I normally like him, but for me his was an unbearably shrill and overripe performance that actively harmed the film. 

Yeah what was he doing? Normally a great actor but he was awful. Paul Dano was brilliant as expected.

Really enjoyed the film, pretty nuts but as a meat eater it did make me think. Then I had bacon in a bagel with lots of butter and ketchup. 

Yeah, it was alright.

Watched with my 14 year old and personally wouldn't have any qualms showing it to my 9 year despite the naughty naughty language - I think it's good for kids to subvert their worldviews and this certainly should.  And the imagery and the creature were all very good, the characters interesting, but the overall premise was totally ridiculous. As if we'd press ahead with rearing a large (super) intelligent beast just to slaughter it. I'm afraid that the future of  meat is not lovable cute, giant pigs, but giant cubes grown in vats. But if it tastes good, who cares right? I mean we (humans) generally don't  care how we produce meat now, do we?

I'd agree with everyone who said it was a decent film, but Gyllenhall was acting in a different one to everyone else.

Sometimes I feel like Bong Joon-ho doesn't give that much of a shit for second takes of dramatic sequences as long as he get the action right. Or he just doesn't get as good a read on non-Korean actors.

All that said, the swearing in this would be the least troubling thing for a young kid, I'd imagine. It's very heavy-handed with its message and seems like it could cause a bit of upset.

14 hours ago, Danster said:

Yeah, it was alright.

Watched with my 14 year old and personally wouldn't have any qualms showing it to my 9 year despite the naughty naughty language - I think it's good for kids to subvert their worldviews and this certainly should.  And the imagery and the creature were all very good, the characters interesting, but the overall premise was totally ridiculous. As if we'd press ahead with rearing a large (super) intelligent beast just to slaughter it. I'm afraid that the future of  meat is not lovable cute, giant pigs, but giant cubes grown in vats. But if it tastes good, who cares right? I mean we (humans) generally don't  care how we produce meat now, do we?

I don't think it is meant to be plausible. But you could argue we've already engineered a large super intelligent breast just to slaughter it - modern pigs are much bigger than people think and intelligent enough to play video games. Your last sentence was the point of the film, I think.

Would a pig...

Spoiler

...slip it's child out of a hole in a fence of a slaughterhouse, giving its welfare over to another pig who could hide it away in its mouth in order to get it past human guards? I don't think even a chimp would have the intelligence to do that, let alone an animal reared for its meat. That's homo sapiens levels of intelligence.

Yeah, it was the point of the film, my point being that if we want to keep eating "meat" then we'll have to start growing it in vats rather than create a giant pig to feed us all. To me the whole premise of the film was built on silly exaggeration, which is fine, but it wasn't any more meaningful than "We industrially farm, is that right?"

And the whole...

Spoiler

...drunk TV star in a lab mating the pig... with a horrible GIMP pig from the depths of the factory...  so ridiculous I actually scoffed at what should have been a heartfelt and awful scene of abuse. I suppose it was because it was Evil Corp that were doing it that it had to happen that way, rather than artificial insemination which would be a more likely route for a normal livestock impregnation, and why are they trying to impregnate it anyway, when it was earmarked for death?  And why is EVIL CORP owned by a single family? Would have been better if they'd shown how EVILCORP could have been a company with shareholders, floating on the stock exchange with holdings from people's pensions. And she lets the pig go, for a lump of gold... because... what? MONEY! Greed! Even biting the gold... silly silly.

A few too many "the Bahamas" moments for me....Albeit, obviously much better than Jaws 4...

Spoiler

This is probably going to sound really wanky but I don't think the point of the film is about is necessarily about our treatment of animals as a food source, but about cultural appropriation by the US and especially the US movie industry. Here we have a gigantic corporation (Mirando/Hollywood) that has invented something amazing (superpig/the movie industry) and exported it around the world for provincial farmers/moviemakers to nurture in their own way, then years later the giant corporation takes these superpigs/foreign movies back to slice up, fuck around with and repackage to a US audience. This might just be me reading too much into it, but there was a strong anti-US interference message in 'The Host' so Bong Joon Ho has precedent for this sort of thing.