rllmuk
Orko

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

She’s a former Hollyoaks actress. I don’t have a problem with them casting someone with a totally different look, but she hasn’t been great up to now. Not that she’s had much to do.

Triss can look however they like, the actress just needs to be convincing. In episode 3, she wasn't. At all. Hopefully she'll improve when she has more to work with, but she makes a terrible first impression. While in the same episode Yennefer is absolutely fantastic imho.

(Which just confirms I made the right choice in the games :))

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

Every negative review I've read seems more interested in comparing it to GoT than taking it on its own merits. It's not much like Got obviously, and even if it was, it's an unrealistic standard to set. 

Game of Thrones of course invented the fantasy genre and anything else in that genre is a response to that.

Well that and laughing at the funny names or the fact there are unrealistic fantastical creatures. Imagine that in a fantasy work! Just embarrassing isn't it? 

Seriously though. Critics don't try to compare every crime drama to The Wire, so why do this? 

• Upvote 6

45 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Well that and laughing at the funny names or the fact there are unrealistic fantastical creatures. Imagine that in a fantasy work! Just embarrassing isn't it? 

Yeah, and this is a particularly silly complaint to make because, while some of the names are made up, the vast majority are actually drawn from European languages. There's very obvious German, Welsh, Dutch, Scandinavian, Slavic, etc names in there, to the extent that some Witcher characters are open references to historical characters (like Menno Coehoorn, a Nilfgaardian general not in this show, being named after Menno van Coehoorn). It has pretty decent names as far as fantasy shows go.

• Upvote 1

I am really enjoying it (beer helps!) but must confess the whole

Spoiler

Jumping in time

went right over my head- I'm on ep 3 or 4 and no clue this was happening 

I didn't really understand either

Spoiler

the king slept with his sister? she was cursed by her lover?

Having just watched the last episode I found the whole thing pretty good and shows a lot of promise for future seasons.  It's weird element of time skipping through different periods in very poorly explained, a title card would have sorted some of it out. Instead I was left scratching my head in confusion with none of it being shown to the viewer properly.  My advice for those going in fresh is to pay really close attention to what's going on.

How many time points are there? I'm 3 eps in and can see there is a before (yenefer and the weird sorcerer/witch chapter stuff) and then later with the king and the curse. I started ep 4 where geralt goes

Spoiler

with the bard as bodyguard to the suitors evening thing and it is obviously before the queen is defeated in previous eps.

Very confusing. So, is ep1 ahead of my spoilered section of the post or same time?  

Honestly, for the first three episodes, I thought the plot lines were running side by side in the same time frame.

Episode 4...

Spoiler

I still didn’t twig, rather stupidly. Didn’t even realise the queen from that episode was the one from the first episode. Dumb, I know. It nagged at the back of my mind though and I had to consult the internet maybe an episode later to confirm a few things when the story didn’t seem to be adding up.

For me personally, I think I need more time for faces to register in my mind. The same thing can happen in real life where I forget people’s faces quite easily unless I’m around them all the time. Once I’m past that, I remember them for life. So in a TV show where a lot of characters are being introduced quite quickly, not everyone’s face registers. I recall having the same issue with the first season of GoT (although not quite to the same extent), which was much more enjoyable and easier to understand with a second viewing. Maybe I’ll benefit from giving The Witcher a rewatch.

6 hours ago, Piccolomini said:

Yeah, and this is a particularly silly complaint to make because, while some of the names are made up, the vast majority are actually drawn from European languages. There's very obvious German, Welsh, Dutch, Scandinavian, Slavic, etc names in there, to the extent that some Witcher characters are open references to historical characters (like Menno Coehoorn, a Nilfgaardian general not in this show, being named after Menno van Coehoorn). It has pretty decent names as far as fantasy shows go.

There are lot of silly names in the modern world too, but I don't really recall seeing many contemporary film heroes called Troy Hamburger or Phillipa Clit (both real names)

All in all a great start. After the really bad first episode the characters and the writing slowly set in a rhythm. Casting is great, Geralt and Yen especially. They really have great chemistry. 

The timeline shifts may be ok for the book -which is easier to write short stories with various timelines- but as a tv show it doesn't work very well in the beginning. By the end though, when everything comes together, the stage is set beautifully. Sure, it is not GoT, but it doesn't need to be. If they try to be more mature with their writing, stop with the constant exposition and the never ending talk about destiny and such, this has the markings of a great fantasy show.

Just up the budget, trust your audience and improve the general direction and writing. At the moment, the games win over the books and the show. :P

Only watched the first 2 episodes so far. Not a fan of the (admittedly minor) changes, but I can forgive them. So far its pretty good. Enough for me to keep watching anyway.

Edit: Ok, this is starting to go a bit off course now. Hmmm.....

It stays very close to the first book. There aren't many big changes as such, more that they add a lot of stuff. In the first three episodes it's mostly lots and lots of courtly intrigue and wonky introspective character dialogue in what's probably an attempt to add some fashionable GoT flavour. But outside the Cintra and Yennefer backstory bits, the story is pretty much on course. Imo it could have been paced better, the different timelines should either have been signposted better or structured completely differently, and the dialogue/moral of the story bits could be way more subtle, but it's not "off course" surely?

Up to episode 5 now and really liking it. It could have been so much better with a writer who is able to tighten it all up just a little bit more, who can improve the exposition on all the locations and characters, and last but not least make the different timelines easier to follow. Intriguing but wonky start so far, it definitely has a lot of potential once it reaches the main story proper and all the timelines come together. Hopefully this shaky start doesn't spoil its chances 

Also, the actress who plays Yennefer is lovely :wub:

I've watched the lot now, and yep, definitely different from the books in a few ways, but I still enjoyed it all anyway.

By different, I mean some characters dying when they dont in the books, some characters being present at events when they werent in said books and a few other things. Nothing too amazing really or stand out, but I definitely did a "huh? I dont remember that happening!" kind of thing when watching the series.

Three episodes in and it already feels like a slog to stick with it, TBH.

As others have said, Cavill nails Geralt, but everything around him feels pretty 2nd rate.

Final thoughts:

• I really wish they had casted someone else to play Ciri. Perhaps it was down to bad writing I dont know but Freya Allan was not convincing. Ciris story arc felt like an unnecessary distraction.

• Yennefer before her transformation was great. She was both fragile and strong at the same time and I really felt there was depth to her character. After the transformation she basically becomes another generic smart ass. Still like her character but she was so much more lovable in the first episodes. 

• Geralt and Jaskier :lol: they are a match made in heaven. Loved both characters. 

• The bad guys: Nilfgaard isnt quite up to the task as bad guys. They suffer from too little screen time, and the little they are granted are not spent well in my opinion. This is bad writing.

Cant wait for season 2!