rllmuk
Orko

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

Every time I read “Toss a coin to you Witcher” I hear it in the rhythm of “There’s a hole in my bucket”.

I want that version.

• Upvote 1

I'm absolutely loving this. I think it’s marvellous that it doesn’t take itself too seriously, and I like the generally snappy pace. To draw a comparison, I like that it’s different to Game Of Thrones in so far as, well it’s not totally grim dark all the time, and it’s refreshing to watch a show about a guy who kills monsters, ghouls, orcs, dragons and goblins etc, and actually have it happen, instead of episode after episode of people standing around fancy maps, drinking wine and bonking their sisters. There’s a place for that of course (Shropshire) but I like this because it’s just FUN. Something that with the resurgence of big budget TV shows/Comic book movies etc has been missing a little, perhaps.  

• Upvote 2

I finished it last night and massively enjoyed it. Found it quite disjointed to start with but then it was fine. Really looking forward to more.

This felt like the Babylon 5 of fantasy shows.

- unfairly compared to a bigger show with surface similarities (GoT / DS9) which is actually quite different (and maybe not as good...).

- initially dense and somewhat clunky script but hiding something that is surprisingly clever.

- deceptively complex worldbuilding.

- characters that you can't stand at first but eventually grow on you.

- some very uneven acting.

- nevertheless very watchable and weirdly compelling.

It is going to be a tough wait for season 2.

• Upvote 3

The bit that made me laugh out loud the most was when Geralt

Spoiler

invokes the law of surprise, followed by, "... Fuck." Stupid Geralt.

• Upvote 5

It was actually Jaskier that made me laugh the most, the whole bedroom scene with... 

Spoiler

... Yennefer. 

"Oh no, definitely did not butter that biscuit" 

"Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh Valley of PENIS!" 

:lol:

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, Stevie said:

I watched something similar last night.

Love it.

I listened to this about 3 times tonight it's great.

• Upvote 2

I prefer the one I posted, better singer. 

Good riffage in that one though. :)

Oooohh, just found this fucking corker. 

Awesome. 

• Upvote 2

On 04/01/2020 at 01:50, Jg15 said:

So are the books really worth a punt then? I did look at the Kindle versions and was shocked to see the price (£8!) For the first book, I'm guessing Amazon have inflated prices because of the series, the bastards.

Also, loving the series, I don't want it to end it's that good!

amazon sold the first book in a 99p daily deal over Christmas, but depending on the publisher they can have paperback level prices for kindle books.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Radish said:

It was £3.99 or £4.99 I think a few days ago. 

Cheers, it was 4.99 today randomly, so bought after finishing the series last night (which really blew me away). Defintely left me wanting more so will be good to get into the books now to tide me over until series 2.

12 hours ago, Thor said:

I prefer the one I posted, better singer. 

Good riffage in that one though. :)

Depends what you want, I prefer the gruffly metal vocals

• Upvote 1

3 episodes in. Can’t believe how well they’ve nailed the look and feel. It doesn’t take itself too seriously in places, just like the game. Every episode feels like a proper Witcher side quest as well and Toss a Coin to your Witcher is *amazing* - it’s the best Tenacious D song not written by the D

I’ve never read the books but I really want to now.

Going from what I've seen of reviews - it seemed they struggled with the tone.  I hope they never play a rock ogre side quest about shoes...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Going from what I've seen of reviews - it seemed they struggled with the tone.  I hope they never play a rock ogre side quest about shoes...

"Ploughing critics, what the fuck do those buggers know?"

-Anonymous monocled person shouted out yesterday to our reporter. 

• Upvote 2

On 04/01/2020 at 22:09, Stigweard said:

I listened to this about 3 times tonight it's great.

My mrs is mates with the actor who sings it in the show, just got her to forward it to him. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, museman123 said:

My mrs is mates with the actor who sings it in the show, just got her to forward it to him. 

Probably when he finally just got the song out of his head too haha

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, scottcr said:

I’ve never read the books but I really want to now.

They are really good, even though it shares similar themes and parts the books are presented very differently.   The Last Wish the first, is quite short and just focuses on quick stories so well worth giving it a go to see if you will like the rest.  The second which starts the story properly was fantastic and hooked me in pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, scottcr said:

A lot of critics seem to find the very idea of a show with fantastical monsters, funny names and lots of magic too silly or embarrassing to like. Game of Thrones got a pass because the earlier seasons had a lot less of that and were superficially similar to classy historical fiction. And it takes itself so seriously, you can pretend you're not raving about a soap opera with dragons and cold zombies. I think all fantasy shows will now be judged against GoT from now by these people, despite not trying to do the same thing. 

Plough 'em indeed. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

A lot of critics seem to find the very idea of a show with fantastical monsters, funny names and lots of magic too silly or embarrassing to like. Game of Thrones got a pass because the earlier seasons had a lot less of that and were superficially similar to classy historical fiction. And it takes itself so seriously, you can pretend you're not raving about a soap opera with dragons and cold zombies. I think all fantasy shows will now be judged against GoT from now by these people, despite not trying to do the same thing. 

Plough 'em indeed. 

pretty much... I think a lot of them struggled with the timeline stuff as well. I thought the bit in episode 3 where I realised the stories weren’t happening at the same time was really cool. Did they miss that?

• Upvote 1

I can understand people ignoring the problems and embracing the fun and sillyness, and I did enjoy it and do look forward to series 2, but I did struggle in parts.

• The totally unnecessary tits and cleavage genuinely left me cringing and feeling embarrassed at really crucial moments. The final big battle, for example. Often Yennifer's boobs were the closest thing to the camera.. they deliberately shot it looking up at them. There's just no need. It really bothered me and took me out of the drama.
  • The marriage of medieval fantasy with a modern TV/film feel I found a bit jarring. One minute you had very serious political scenes, the next you had the bard wise cracking like something from a 2019 light-sitcom. Yennifer's make over was just.. she looked like someone out of Hollyoaks. It just all felt like a bit of a mess.
  • A big deal was made early on about the price of magic and how you can't just conjure it out of nowhere - it always has a cost. This is forgotten very quickly with people conjuring magic out of nowhere for the remainder of the series, except when the plot needs it not to. The bit that stood out to me was Villentrentenmirth falling off the cliff whilst Yennifer doesn't do anything. 2 minutes later she's suspending dwarfs in mid air with the flick of a wrist. Magic appears to be very easy sometimes, but then impossible at other times.
  • Think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Nilfgaard very much came across like the bad guys, which didn't really ring true with the rest of the more grey-area politics and characters. I assume this is different in the games/books?

People shouldn't compare it to Game of Thrones at all, obviously. They are very different apart from surface similarities. But I felt it had a lot of problems in its own right. Was no one else bothered by this stuff? Or did you find it easy to look past it? I guess maybe one person's "it doesn't take itself too seriously" is another person's "it was a bit all over the place"?

Nevertheless, it is very fun. Cavill is excellent and perfectly nails his role. It's funny in places and I found the overarching plot very compelling. Some of the fight scenes are SO good. So visceral. Also I do love a bit of fantasy and it had cool, unique take on the genre. Never read the books or played the games, but pretty tempted now :).

Dammit I forgot the main and most important criticism. Not one single scene involved a game of Gwent :quote:

• Upvote 1

Nilfgaard is essentially the baddie in the books also. In the games and books, you have a series of shitty kings/queens in the North running their individual pissant kingdoms like tyrants, and Nilfgaard the homogenous empire in the South. And you have the council of wizards running everything behind the scenes, and half of them are shitlords.

But the setup is that all your good characters are North-aligned, so the Northern kingdoms are the goodies, even though they're not very good.

Where the TV series did differ (or perhaps just make more explicit something I hadn't picked up) was to contrast the North's capitalism against the Nilfgaard's USSR.

I totally agree I found the occasional very modern-feeling Jaskier bits a little jarring. But some of the feel for that does come from the books - the world of the Witcher is quite arch and knowing about the foolishness of prophecies and fripperies of knights and so on. The books are also very clear and in depth about how sexy and sexual the various sorceresses are supposed to be.

I think a lot of the weaknesses of the WItcher on-screen are direct inheritances from the books, which are not perfect.

• Upvote 3

I think the worst aspect of the sexy-mages, was that once Fringilla became the Nilfgaard mage she mostly (as far as I remember) was put into a very unflattering mage dresses. It was as if tits pointing up = good mage. Tits pointing down or sideways = bad mage. :unsure: