rllmuk
Orko

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

Glad it's not just me that noticed they took a few of things (visually) from that cutscene.

On the subject of Triss, here's what she looks like in the games (Witcher, Witcher 2 and Witcher 3)

Triss+_5feb06b3a3f5d9a801990bcb2768ae28.

Quite a difference from Witcher 2 to 3 for some reason. Witcher 2's Triss is actually closer to the Netflix series as a result. Also, the books description is that she has chestnut colour hair, not the bright red that is in 3.

I've watched the series twice now, and love it. But Triss is easily the weakest character because the actor is duff. She pronounces Melitele as 'melly telly'... she's just fucking crap. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

On 25/12/2019 at 09:06, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm not familiar with Wheel of Time (worth a read for someone who doesn't like Lord of the Rings but likes Abercrombie and Skapowskaki? (sp? The Witcher writer)) but I really want someone to take a crack at the First Law trilogy. That would be awesome if done well.

I would love to see some of Abercrombies books as series. Probably my favourite author.   They would need Anthony Hopkins as Glokta though and a bald Timothy Dalton as Bayaz as they are who I had in my mind whilst reading them. 

His Half a King series would be worth it too.

• Upvote 3

Episode 4 was brilliant. Seeing the characters from the first two episodes before the attack on Cintra was really nice. Mouseack is great. Calanthe and her partner are brilliant, too. 

And the beginning with Dandelion and the people in the pub was brilliant. Had me laughing out loud when:

Spoiler

Geralt is covered in blood and guts and they're singing about him being a friend to humanity. :lol:

I watched the first three, how much Geralt are we looking at in the rest of the episodes? More? Because he was in episode 3 more and he’s just shite. Cavill is doing fine, I like the game noises he makes, and the combat scenes are excellent. But there’s literally nothing happening to him. He’s just wandering around, waiting I assume for Ciri to find him. Exactly like the Witcher 3, why is she not the main character? What function does he serve at all other than wish fulfilment for fat nerds who want to role play as a strong man who has sex with people a lot? 

Honestly, I’d just give up like I did with the game when it was about him. But Yennefer’s bits are fantastic. They’re everything I want from a fantasy series. And I’m enjoying Ciri’s parts loads as well. But if there’s more stuff like episode 2, where they have boring Geralt a singing moron to accompany him while they went to the eleven exposition show, I don’t know if I could handle it. It’s insane how well the world building in Yen and Ciri’s stories is woven into the story, then Geralt keeps meeting people who deliver wooden blocks of text at him. That bit with Perv Wizard in the first episode where he started blathering on about fucking fantasy words was terrible. Whereas Ciri being taken in by the tailor’s family delivered such delicate, logical story progression.

And they keep ending well. Not the second one with that terrible song, but the first one where he fought Renfri’s band was fantastic, some of the most visceral, engaging sword combat I’ve ever seen on TV. And the end of episode 3 cutting between the monster fight and Yen was so well done. I actually really like Cavill when he’s doing the physical stuff, and in his more emotional moments. When he woke up and spoke to Triss at the end, he seemed so human, and so genuinely fascinating. A real contrast with the guy who two episodes ago was all “sorry I was just delivering backstory to the audience, I mean talking to my horse.”

On 26/12/2019 at 21:09, Raoull duke said:

r/gaming currently butthurt because critics aren't overly enthused by it. Bunch of sweaty fucking neckbeards. 

That’s not a big shock, fans of the Witcher games are incredibly precious about the series and can’t bear to hear any criticism of it, especially of it’s deeply average writing and story. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 13

I think episode 4 is where Geralt becomes more interesting for me. He’s thrown into a situation he’s uncomfortable with, talks more, and has some pretty cool, funny lines of dialogue. I don’t buy that he’s just wish fulfilment for nerds. Anyone who isn’t a gamer will probably just see him as a Fantasy version of Clint Eastwood, or like a wandering ronin from a samurai film.

• Upvote 2

@Broker I don’t think you’ve quite picked up on the timeline of stuff yet. Episode 4 makes it blindingly obvious, though. 

Anyway, it might not be wish fulfilment for nerds but I wanna be Henry Cavill when I grow up. 

fHcHji9.jpg

I found Ciri's parts the most boring, it was just her running through woods exchanging gloves and boots and hearing backstories.

Yennifers scenes were by far the most interesting and engaging parts of the series and probably the only ones that went beyond standard sword and sorcery fare.

I assume they’ve put it in to give the series as a whole a larger, ongoing plot whilst Geralt’s stuff is monster of the week and doesn’t really feature an ongoing plot in the first three episodes.

On 25/12/2019 at 09:06, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm not familiar with Wheel of Time (worth a read for someone who doesn't like Lord of the Rings but likes Abercrombie and Skapowskaki? (sp? The Witcher writer)) but I really want someone to take a crack at the First Law trilogy. That would be awesome if done well.

Malazan Book of the Fallen or GTFO :hmm:

8 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Malazan Book of the Fallen or GTFO :hmm:

I'm not familiar with either Malazan, or  with GTFO, willing to give them a try! Thanks for the recommendation. :)Are they series or single books? Edit: googled it, 10 books! Should keep me entertained for a while. I found the game GTFO but not the books it's based on. Edit edit: not available on Kindle for some reason, but I've wishlisted Malazan book one on Play Books.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm not familiar with either Malazan, or  with GTFO, willing to give them a try! Thanks for the recommendation. :)Are they series or single books?

Series, with some additional books for world/character flavour.

They're very, very good and while adult in theme they don't have the sadistic darkness of a Abercrombie book or the 'hehehe, tits and pie!' of GRRM.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Series, with some additional books for world/character flavour.

They're very, very good and while adult in theme they don't have the sadistic darkness of a Abercrombie book or the 'hehehe, tits and pie!' of GRRM.

I liked the sadistic darkness of Abercrombie but it's definitely not a must - variety is the spice of reading etc. And as far as GRRM's 'hehehee tits and dicks and mashed potatoes' goes, I'd rather do without - so that's a big plus :) Am I good to go with the main ten volumes of Malazan? No additional books needed?

I've read only the first Malazan novel, Gardens of the Moon. It was alright, but I was left with no interest in further reading, especially as I recall not liking how the book ended. 

Malazan spoiler...

Spoiler

I recall Erikson wrote himself into a corner, with Whiskeyjack (or is it Whiskey Jack?) and all the good guys doomed until a magic tree or something appears from fucking nowhere and saves the day - proper deus ex machina. That said, I read it about a decade ago, my memory is sketchy.

Now, the Farseer series by Robin Hobb?  GIMME THAT ON TV PLEASE!!

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Now, the Farseer series by Robin Hobb?  GIMME THAT ON TV PLEASE!!

Okay, I'll bite - worth reading if I like Abercrombie and The Witcher but not Lord of the Rings? There's still room on my books wishlist

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I liked the sadistic darkness of Abercrombie but it's definitely not a must - variety is the spice of reading etc. And as far as GRRM's 'hehehee tits and dicks and mashed potatoes' goes, I'd rather do without - so that's a big plus :) Am I good to go with the main ten volumes of Malazan? No additional books needed?

Yeah, nothing extra needed. While the spin of stuff is considered 'canon' and part of the whole, the central story is in the main series and as I mentioned, the rest is 'flavour'.

You missed out Chuckie but I can see why you'd think that. It's merely the start of things and not deus ex at all. The Azath Houses aren't for saving ;)  

The best thing about the books is the good guys aren't necessarily good guys and the bad guys aren't always bad. Happy endings and few and very far between. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Scruff! And just to return the favour with a recommendation on my part: if you like both high fantasy and comics check out Monstress from Image Comics. Currently on sale on Comixology. It has fantastic world building and absolutely gorgeous artwork, but it's also even more sadistic in its darkness than Abercrombie.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Thanks @Scruff! And just to return the favour with a recommendation on my part: if you like both high fantasy and comics check out Monstress from Image Comics. Currently on sale on Comixology. It has fantastic world building and absolutely gorgeous artwork, but it's also even more sadistic in its darkness than Abercrombie.

I've been reading it since I saw you mention it in the watchtower thread :D 

Issues are too short!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Okay, I'll bite - worth reading if I like Abercrombie and The Witcher but not Lord of the Rings? There's still room on my books wishlist

I've never read any Abercrombie so can't compare. The Farseer series is nothing like Lord of the Rings. I've only ever read The Last Wish, so I don't know how much court/political intrigue is in the Witcher books (there's a fair bit in the games, obviously), but the Farseer series has quite a bit, and it's all told in the first person by the protagonist as he grows from up from a small boy. Being an animal lover helps.

When I was first reading the series, I found myself wishing - despite some of the horrible things that happen - that I could live in the books' world, and not the real one. :) But I wouldn't really class it as "high" fantasy, more like just good old fashioned fantasy. It really would make for a fantastic adaptation to TV in the right hands ... but would need a fucking stupid effects budget! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I've never read any Abercrombie so can't compare. The Farseer series is nothing like Lord of the Rings. I've only ever read The Last Wish, so I don't know how much court/political intrigue is in the Witcher books (there's a fair bit in the games, obviously), but the Farseer series has quite a bit, and it's all told in the first person by the protagonist as he grows from up from a small boy. Being an animal lover helps.

When I was first reading the series, I found myself wishing - despite some of the horrible things that happen - that I could live in the books' world, and not the real one. :) But I wouldn't really class it as "high" fantasy, more like just good old fashioned fantasy. It really would make for a fantastic adaptation to TV in the right hands ... but would need a fucking stupid effects budget! 

You should read Abercrombie. His books are awesome, great characters and writing. 

The audio books are also great.

• Upvote 4

Awful books. They were like somebody tried to write a novelisation of the Prima strategy guide for some bad JRPG.

Edit: In response to Deerokus. Not talking about Abercrombie.

• Upvote 1

And done. I really enjoyed it. Enough to watch it all in two days, which doesn't really happen for me.

Dislikes:

• Yen often comes down on the wrong side of the fine line between petulant and headstrong/conflicted
  • Fringilla and Nilfgaard are written as religious zealots. I don't know if this was the case in the books but in the games there's a lot more nuance to Nilfgaard's invasion.

Would have been nice to see Dandelion after Geralt and him had their spat, too.

And like the games, I find the whole Nilfgaard/Ciri thing and relatively high fantasy Elder Blood stuff quite boring in comparison to the smaller stories of local monsters and the stories behind them.

We should really be in the fantasy thread, but:

- Malazan came out of a role playing group by the two authors - Erikson and Esslemont, who then split the characters between themselves. Erikson’s book of the fallen is astonishingly wide ranging, but suffers from Garden of the Moon being shit. The second book - Deadhouse Gates - is amazing. Esslemont’s stuff is more approachable.

- Abercrombie’s work is dirty fantasy, though tending to the early Industrial Age in the later stuff. Probably best off trying his standalones because they have self contained plots - best served cold, the heroes.

- hobb’s Realm of the elderings sequence is expansive, and slowly builds the world across sixteen books - nine of which make up the farseer books. They all great, but the rain wild chronicles need perseverance. The final farseer book was one of the reading highlights for me last year.

- but read Mark Lawrence: the “heroes” of his first and second trilogies can’t be any different.

• Upvote 2