The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

I thought that was absolutely outstanding - again. The show is on such a roll at the moment.

Good to see it adhering to the Star Trek tradition of the very finest actors being those underneath the most amount of latex. Bortus's speech at the end there was so powerful. And I can't agree with any criticism of the young actress who plays Topa, I thought she did a great job.

Also, best cameo ever? I think so.

Cgi has really been turned up this season, especially the latest ep. I took a quick look back at the very first episode and the difference is actually considerable,which is funny because I didn't notice anything at first. Very nice subtle, but significant improvements, the best way to do it. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Seth Macfarlane treated this series as a big sign to Disney saying "Let me do Star Wars". 

Yes I know, this is Trek in all but name. But the action, music, and quite often the feel is pure Star Wars. I'd actually really like to see what Macfarlane could do with Star Wars. 

Just finished episode 7. This season has been great but fucking hell they should've kept it to 45 minute episodes. Way too much filler in every ep. Great plots and great themes but the extra run time makes them feel like a slog to get through sometimes. Wouldn't be against the odd ep being longer if there's enough plot to justify it but stretching out every one just feels unnecessary and indulgent.

My opinion has not changed, still the best tv show around at the moment.

That is 3 consecutive episodes that I would rate 5/5.  

All I want for Christmas and my Birthday this year is The Orville to be renewed.

Man, this show is just so good. S2 feels like a huge step up from S1, which was pretty decent in the latter half itself. 

Just watched Lasting Impressions. Gordon has really come into his own this season. Knocked it out of the park in both this ep and the previous (Blood of Patriots). 

I really like how it not being Trek allows them to do all sorts of stupid things which would annoy me in Trek but here nothing is sacred to me and they manage to land stuff that just feels great. 

And I adore the even TV lighting. Strange New Worlds looks far too cool and sexy. 

On 20/07/2022 at 18:55, Garwoofoo said:

There’s a new Orville novella out, Sympathy for the Devil, written by Seth MacFarlane himself and set between episodes 8 and 9 of season 3 (so, immediately after tomorrow’s episode). 

For some reason it’s only available as an audiobook (via an Audible sub) on Amazon UK, while US shoppers get the option of a Kindle version too. If the Kindle version makes it out over here, I might be tempted. 

You can only get this via Audible here? That is shit. My wife loves this show and would like to grab this.

And finished S2. I thought the finale was rubbish. Basically had nothing interesting to say other than to wallow in Ed and Kelly’s relationship, which works as a side plot but not when there’s nothing else meaningful happening in the episode. And it was made all the less meaningful by not being our Ed and Kelly. I’ve never liked Mirror Dimension eps and this was essentially one of those. 

Anyway, other than that, I don’t think there was a dud in the rest of the season. Maybe the birthday one. 

S3 is interesting (only watched the first 15 mins). Huge leap in CGI and is definitely more contrasty and cinematic. Bring back the cheap and even TV lightning!

It’s all getting a bit DS9. They even have a little Defiant now!

18 hours ago, Barnard said:

I hope Disney see on the algorithms how people dropped Obi-Wan but stayed consistent with watching The Orville each week. 

There must be dozens of us!

I'm hoping enough are watching. Particularly on Hulu in the States. I'd hate for the series to end prematurely, because I'd be gutted if it only continued as a tacky IDW comic series or something.

11 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I'm hoping enough are watching. Particularly on Hulu in the States. I'd hate for the series to end prematurely, because I'd be gutted if it only continued as a tacky IDW comic series or something.

Yeah. But Seth with those muscles! Phwoar!

This will sound hyperbolic but the emotional weight of the episodes just lands in a way that recent TV shows don’t often manage, and so much actually develops in each episode, so much changes for the characters and setting for episodes to come. There was a B5 season’s worth of political reversals in this episode alone!