The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

Ok, I'll believe you....but if I start seeing confusingly gigantic space battles instead of nicely dull examinations of social issues I'll be writing to your manager :quote:

Strange New Worlds is alright. It still falls into the trap of shitty actors shouting random lines & some frantic scenes and camera cuts just for the sake of it. I think people might just be stunned CBS haven’t made a complete mess of it after recent years. 

I don’t hate it, and it’s still a reasonably  watchable hour of TV, but I’m stunned anyone could truly describe it as being excellent. I would still recommend watching it though as I’d rather CBS saw this gets more goodwill than shite like STD. But if it’s a program doing self-contained social & political issues under a sci-fi guise each episode, then this isn’t what you’re looking for I’m afraid. 

It’s not a patch on The Orville BTW. 

38 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

But if it’s a program doing self-contained social & political issues under a sci-fi guise each episode, then this isn’t what you’re looking for I’m afraid. 

Thanks, I think that was the question I was asking really.

I think what I love so much about the Orville is that for so long so much sci-fi on TV and in film has essentially just been focused on various forms of violent conflict. And we've had some fine examples of portraying how that sort of thing effects people and their actions, but I'm just so exhausted by it all now. And the Orville has reminded me how magical, optimistic, thought-provoking and inspiring I found TNG when I was a kid.

4 hours ago, PK said:

Is Strange New Worlds actually good?

Orville is the best "Trek" style show if your after a TNG fix. It's a love letter to thought provoking sci fi now, having abandoned a great deal of the humour. I miss some of the lightness but this season is such a huge upswing in terms of the quality of writing and acting it's a whole new show. SNW I feel is more influenced by TOS, it's a much, much better show than either Picard or Discovery. It helps that the cast of SNW are genuinely excellent and carry the show over a few bumps. As soon as I saw Anson and Peck in Discovery, I was very confident they could pull it off on SNW. 

I just wish Captain Pike looked a little bit less like Keir Starmer. I can't take him seriously.

Has Strange New Worlds still got the incredibly shit Spock they used in Discovery, or have they found a better one?

32 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I just wish Captain Pike looked a little bit less like Keir Starmer. I can't take him seriously.

Has Strange New Worlds still got the incredibly shit Spock they used in Discovery, or have they found a better one?

What the actual fuck?!?!? :lol:

Captain Christopher - it should be criminal to be that handsome - Pike:

st-strange-new-worlds-1.jpg

Colossal fuckwit "leading" the Labour Party:

image.thumb.png.3948e740a6289ab035185c33dc8231d5.png

They have similar hair ... and that's it.  Also, yes that is the same spock from Discovery, but he's genuinely great as him. 

@PK - Sexton Softfort (;)) is an outlier, the praise for SNW in the SNW thread is almost unanimous. Is the Orville better? Yeah it edges it, I'd say, but Strange New Worlds is genuinely the best new Trek since DS9, and I really love Voyager and Enterprise. SNW has been outstanding, it's absolutely nothing like the shite from Discovery and Picard.

@Sexton Hardcastle - That vid you posted is comparing apples to oranges ... sort of. The aliens in the TNG episodes are primitives, the aliens in the SNW episode are not. As for the crew, they're different people, and will react differently in those situations. 🤷‍♂️ That video is a big load of nothing. It's a shame you don't like the show. 

edit: Forgot I was in the Orville thread, so have edited my post accordingly.

@Garwoofoo :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Where did I say that? I actually recommended it.

The crew aren’t great. For every Pike or Spock who are doing some good work, there’s some focus on horrendous actors like Chapel & LAAAHHHNNN!!!!

You only recommended it based on wanting it to have better ratings than Discovery and Picard, not because you actually think it's good. You say you "don't hate it", and that you're "stunned anyone could truly describe it as being excellent". Not exactly giving the impression of liking it, are you? ;)

Also, Chapel and La'an are actually great, as are M'Benga, Ortegas, Uhura, Hemmer (MVP!!) and Una. The crew are nicely fleshed out, and all have their moments throughout the show.

Brilliant follow up to my favourite Orville episode, I loved every second of it.

The ending is ambiguous enough as well to suggest there might be more of this storyline to come in a future episode.  I am certainly hoping so at least.

There is a lot of decent shit on tv at the moment not least Strange New Worlds, but The Orville is far and away the one show I chose to watch first every single chance I get.:hat:

On 09/07/2022 at 12:12, Garwoofoo said:

hated Peck's Spock in Discovery (and indeed that whole season), but he's great in Strange New Worlds. It's a brilliant show. Sexton is literally the only person in the SNW thread who's been a bit down on it, which is fine of course, but he's not representative of the reception in general.

This was another excellent Orville episode though. It was a really good take on the whole "stuck in the past" trope, and managed to be a million times more interesting than the entirety of Picard season 2.

Spoiler

I also appreciated how they actually did the thing where they just went back further to stop something happening, but managed to turn even that into a really dramatic and emotional decision.

On 10/07/2022 at 01:19, Waggo said:

Brilliant follow up to my favourite Orville episode, I loved every second of it.

The ending is ambiguous enough as well to suggest there might be more of this storyline to come in a future episode.  I am certainly hoping so at least.

I’m going to be very disappointed if, in about 5 episodes time, we don’t see a sandwich appear from nowhere that Gordon promptly eats.  

The rest of the episode was excellent too. A familiar story with an interesting twist. 

42 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

I’m going to be very disappointed if, in about 5 episodes time, we don’t see a sandwich appear from nowhere that Gordon promptly eats.  

The rest of the episode was excellent too. A familiar story with an interesting twist. 

There are only four more episodes in the series. :(

And then that is probably it for The Orville. It hasn't been cancelled, exactly, but the cast have been released from their contracts which normally means the end for a show.

You shut your mouth @Garwoofoo! Don't let it be true!! This is such a good show.

The one thing, is with the relaxed run times, I felt the ending of this, whilst excellent, dragged.

Spoilers for the Gordon Sandwich one.

Spoiler

They could have cut the second jump, and relativity drive (despite the cool blue/redshift) and had it hit harder.

With a bit more exposition, the radio signal tells them the Orville is ready to jump again, They tell him that their plan, leave and then it cuts from the family pondering their existence, straight to younger Gordon thanking them for rescue.

I would have also changed the ending so after he releases them of their guilt, and tells them they did the right thing, they leave, and it ends with him looking at the phone and you can't tell what the expression of his face really means. Did he lie to his friends?

Well fuck me. With this and Strange new worlds, after years of crying out for decent trek, in the last few months we get the best load of it in the last 25 years combined. 

Pacing problems again this week I feel. The entire diplomacy plot was terrible and it would have been a better episode if it had been removed in its entirety. The Isaac stuff though was brilliant so it all balanced out in the end. 

I thought the diplomacy plot was fine, for the B plot it was, and it tied in quite nicely thematically. The Isaac story was indeed excellent though.

Isaac has turned into possibly the best character in the show, and he could so easily have just been Data take two. This episode highlighted just how far he's been developed from that idea.

Proper belly laugh from me with: 

Spoiler

The Bortus 'They are awful' line.

Which was superbly timed and delivered.

Earned humour is vastly superior to the forced stuff we were getting in early season one.

Perhaps a few too many subplots in this episode, but the central Kaylon/Isaac plot was superb.

There’s a new Orville novella out, Sympathy for the Devil, written by Seth MacFarlane himself and set between episodes 8 and 9 of season 3 (so, immediately after tomorrow’s episode). 

For some reason it’s only available as an audiobook (via an Audible sub) on Amazon UK, while US shoppers get the option of a Kindle version too. If the Kindle version makes it out over here, I might be tempted. 

I thought that was a strangely boring episode, despite quite a lot going on.

Spoiler

The actor playing Topa was awful as well. It almost got comical how many times they cut to her for a reaction shot and she was just sat there like a plank of wood.