IGNORED

The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

Some people are going to hate this week's. But they are generally terrible people.

I was going to say the same. Fantastic episode, and had some humour too, but the anti-wokeys are going to lose their shit :lol:  
Might have to go on Twitter later…

Sincerely hoping Hulu get their shit together and renew for S4.

An incredible episode that could only ever have been an episode of this show. Genuinely one of the most moving and compelling bits of television I’ve seen in years. Just overwhelmed.

11 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

An incredible episode that could only ever have been an episode of this show.

Yes, perfectly put. This is now becoming a cultural touchstone in its own right as far as I'm concerned, it's developed far past 'sardonic Trek' or whatever the initial pitch was.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT WOKE FUCKING SHIT. FUCKING PANDERING TO THE RAINBOW CUNT BRIGADE. SETH MACFARLANE SHOULD BE CANCELLED. I USED TO LIKE HIM WHEN HE WAS RILING UP THE PC POLICE ON FAMILY GUY BUT THE LEFT NAZIS HAVE RADICALISED HIM. NEVER WATCHING HIS SHIT AGAIN. KEEP LEFTIE POLITICS OUT OF MY SCI-FI. FUCK SAKE.

Spoiler

Sorry. Gave it away by spelling things correctly.

As much as I've enjoyed this season, I hadn't been enjoying it quite as much as the second season or indeed Strange New Worlds.

This week's however was absolutely incredible. PK has already said everything far better than I could, but that was by far the best exploration of the subject I've personally ever seen in any work of fiction. What's more, it did so with a huge amount of empathy and, well, humanity.

I'm not sure I agree that this couldn't have been done in Star Trek, but I absolutely agree this show has long outgrown its Star Trek tribute status and doesn't need to be tied to some old license to give it weight. It's brilliant just as it is.

An imperfect but incredible episode of sci-fi. The complexity and sacrifice of these situations painted in broad strokes from multiple perspectives, in the hope of changing a single mind somewhere where it really matters. It didn’t simply preach to the choir and it didn’t oversimplify things any more than was necessary to fit the allotted time, which would have been the easy way out.

Posted (edited)

Watching Ep5 now, current reaction…

Spoiler

So good to see Bortus being more than a background extra again!

Edit: Watched all of it now. Classic episode of television, whatever the genre.

Edited by Protocol Penguin

8 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Is Orville usually like this? I've only seen the pilot and was bored. But that was incredibly well written for such a sensitive topic.

Didn't know aliens supported Liverpool as well

That's one of its best episodes. It's not always that good, but most episodes have their moments. It's aways empathetic, humanistic and unabashed when exploring themes. After a rough start, the show quickly settles down in to a real love letter to TNG, sprinkled with genuine humour.  It's evolved further into it's own thing as it's gone along.

I wouldn't recommend binging it.  Amble your way through with episodes here and there. 

It's also worth noting that the rough start doesn't really extend past the first couple of episodes. Season 1 Episode 3 is About A Girl which is the start of Topa's story (and the one you see in flashback in the latest episode), so they weren't afraid to tackle the big subjects even from the start. By episode 6, Krill, the show is basically fully-formed.

It's really sad to think how many people have watched the first episode and never gone any further. It's such a good show.

On 01/07/2022 at 23:54, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Is Orville usually like this? I've only seen the pilot and was bored. But that was incredibly well written for such a sensitive topic.

Didn't know aliens supported Liverpool as well

The tone drastically changes from episode 3 onwards. I think they had to make a couple of "Star Trek but with Family Guy LOLs" episodes to get it commissioned, before they got on with making the show that they actually wanted to. There's like three jokes per episode by the end of series 1 and they're so light they wouldn't be out of place in an episode of TNG. And it's tackling difficult subjects with nuance and compassion well before that.

Ep 5 was fantastic. And I agree, it shows the benefit of Star Trek ethos, freed from the baggage of Star Trek's History. Which is ironic, as Star Trek is a show about a Humanity that has freed itself from it's historical baggage.

Well done Seth Macfarlane. 

I truly believe that Sci-Fi is an essential tool to let humanity observe itself freed from the society it is present in.

I’ve just started season 1 of this. So, not sure what to make of it. Presumed this would be a big send up of Star Trek basically. But three episodes in I’m not sure. 

Am I better off looking at this as a star trek inspired show with a more humour elements?

It starts as Star Trek with fart jokes and quickly becomes better than all new Trek apart from Strange New Worlds. 
 It’s now managing to forge its own path and deal with some issues better than trek has - the latest episode being one of the best. 

On 03/07/2022 at 23:13, LaveDisco said:

Ep 5 was fantastic. And I agree, it shows the benefit of Star Trek ethos, freed from the baggage of Star Trek's History.

I agree that this works so well because it is the nearest thing to a proper hard reboot of Trek that exists. And possibly will ever exist. And sticks to a basic understanding of what made 1987-2005 Trek so good at it's best.

On the last episode of season one and it views like a bullet list of every trek trope out there. 

I’ve enjoyed them. However, I hope what people on here say is true and that it loses reliance on being a snarky anti-trek dialogue and finds its own way. 

2 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

On the last episode of season one and it views like a bullet list of every trek trope out there. 

I’ve enjoyed them. However, I hope what people on here say is true and that it loses reliance on being a snarky anti-trek dialogue and finds its own way. 

The show matures quicker than a Jem'Hadar soldier. Stick with it.