IGNORED

The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

I think I'd lost a bit of trust in the gap between series.  I wasn't sure where they were going with the episode. It didn't help that the ship was literally going nowhere, the dry dock shots and fighter sequence were a bit gratuitous. 

Then they take the story all the way to the end. That's why I was so keen on the show. Top stuff.

They managed to having their cake and eat it

Spoiler

by having Isaac resurrected

but still manage to explore the themes with proper punch.

Have they dropped all the comedy bits in this now? I know that was hardly the cheeriest episode, and they had been cutting back on it in season 2, but I dont recall a single intended funny moment last night. Curious if this will be the plan for the rest of the season.

Ah, that was great. As others have said, it seems to have pretty much dropped the comedy entirely now and is just a genuinely excellent Star Trek show.

I always thought it was odd that they never address the Isaac question following the S2 two-parter but it was worth waiting until they felt they could tackle it properly. And they certainly did.

New crew member seems good and the whole thing looks to have had a budget upgrade too.

Love The Orville - it's just a shame that so many people seem to bounce off it after the first couple of episodes. It really is a completely different show to where it started.

It still had a couple of light hearted moments, like the bit with Isaac right at the start, but it wouldn't have felt right to have too much comedy in an episode like that.

I've been re-watching Deep Space Nine on and off for a while, and that show could be pretty funny when it wanted to be, mainly thanks to Worf. I'd be happy for The Orville to have a similar balance.

One thing I liked:

Spoiler

The Doctor saying Isaac committed suicide and he probably did have feelings afterall..

..then Isaac saying he 'killed' himself as it would improve crew morale and productivity by like 15% or something :lol:

What a tremendous first episode to the series. There's so much understanding of why TNG was such a great programme on display here, and they're using its concepts exceptionally well. The brief holodeck/grief scene for example - it's a lovely little metaphor for so many different ways that you might unhealthily cling to somebody you've lost, whether it be poring over photo or video representations of them, or escaping from reality altogether by getting off your face. And it only lasted about 30 seconds! 

They clearly understand how to use sci-fi to examine the real world from an outsider's perspective. Superb stuff.

I'm finding it so interesting that the three programmes I'm enjoying the most at the moment are all created by comedians - BarrySeverance, and this. I suppose by positioning yourself slightly outside of life to poke fun at its absurdity, and establishing industry clout, that puts you in a good place from which to then make stuff that generates some really moving representations of life on screen.

For anyone watching this for trek and who HASN'T watched strange new worlds because discovery is piss. Go watch that too if you want actual trek. It's actual, actual trek, and not Orville's very excellent impersonation of trek.

23 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

For anyone watching this for trek and who HASN'T watched strange new worlds because discovery is piss. Go watch that too if you want actual trek. It's actual, actual trek, and not Orville's very excellent impersonation of trek.

yeah-right-right.gif

9 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

When Paramount admit nobody is going to subscribe to P+ and put it on a service I actually have.

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

When Paramount admit nobody is going to subscribe to P+ and put it on a service I actually have.

P+ comes to Sky later this month and no extra cost for existing customers.

8 minutes ago, Waggo said:

P+ comes to Sky later this month and no extra cost for existing customers.

It’s only free if you subscribe to Sky Cinema. 

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It’s only free if you subscribe to Sky Cinema. 

Ah did not realise that.  

I do get Cinema as it happens, as they offered me it for next to nothing when I rang to renegotiate my subscription after they tried to whack it up.  So might be worth having a conversation with them for anyone who is interested.

I thought that was a pretty heavy episode. It kinda felt like the show had lost it's identity, i mean the tone of the overal show since season 1 has been all over the place and i do miss the light hearted moments. Season 3 just seems like it wants to actually be a star trek show.

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

There’s only been one episode. Seems a bit premature to to say they changed the whole show based on that. 

Yeah maybe i jumped the gun a bit. I'll continue watching anyway.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Also, it is a Star Trek show, in all but name. :)

Yeah, but i actually don't enjoy Star Trek at all, well besides a movie or two. I just can't get into the TV shows at all but weirdly I enjoyed this , probably because of Seth McFarlanes input though which made it feel a little different.

Just now, DarhkFox said:

Yeah maybe i jumped the gun a bit. I'll continue watching anyway.

Yeah, but i actually don't enjoy Star Trek at all, well besides a movie or two. I just can't get into the TV shows at all but weirdly I enjoyed this , probably because of Seth McFarlanes input though which made it feel a little different.

Seth McFarlane is actually a Trek alumnus, he had a recurring small part as an engineer for one (or perhaps two but I think it was just the one) series of Enterprise. The Orville is Seth McFarlane's love letter to Star Trek. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Seth McFarlane is actually a Trek alumnus, he had a recurring small part as an engineer for one (or perhaps two but I think it was just the one) series of Enterprise. The Orville is Seth McFarlane's love letter to Star Trek. 

I learnt something new today!

Spoiler

Nice to see the old Star Trek away team trope of the entire leadership visiting an alien planet/station and not wearing suits until someone becomes infected. 
Some nice body horror with the metamorphosis into the alien life form as well although maybe securing med bay when someone appears to be transforming into an unknown species would be a decent idea going forward. 
Proper random red shirt death was ace though - knew the moment he appeared that he was doomed. 
 Hopefully the Doc and her kids stop taking centre stage soon as they are probably the weakest part of the cast and my only real criticism. 

decent episode though.