IGNORED

The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

Glad to hear you enjoyed it too @Sprite Machine it's the closest thing we have to star trek at the minute and yes it rips certain things off completely, I also feel it's meant as an introduction to a new audience as well as a comfy blanket reminder to us people that know and like trek how it used to be. 

I might be giving seth too much credit there but it does feel like a labour of love more than a total cash grab as things like the episode with the kids messing with the replicators is definitely the sort of thing you could imagine happening on the enterprise.

I do also like that it's far more progressive in it's story lines, even though discovery has female protagonists and female scientists etc, the main plots are primarily about violent murder and shooting whereas the action episodes in orville are much more nicely spaced out and not first option.

Speaking of female characters, I think bortas is a woman given some of the storylines and situations that character is in and that race's structure and so on. 

It is totally a labour of love. Yeah, he got his break and made his fortune doing low rent comedy but this is where his heart lies, he loves this shit. He even helped produce the new series of Cosmos because he feels it’s an important area/topic to be promoted, he’s all in on the utopian TNG space exploration/peaceful co-existence/betterment of humanity thing.

• 5 months later...

Watched the first episode of this, and it felt more like a Star Trek episode than the entirety of Picard so far. Definitely watching the rest of this.

Saw some rumours that CBS was considering selling Star Trek, possibly to McFarlane, and honestly that would probably be amazing news for most Trek fans at this point, however unlikely,  as CBS clearly has no vision for it unless its dystopian, which is the opposite of what Star Trek has always been about.

15 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Watched the first episode of this, and it felt more like a Star Trek episode than the entirety of Picard so far. Definitely watching the rest of this.

Saw some rumours that CBS was considering selling Star Trek, possibly to McFarlane, and honestly that would probably be amazing news for most Trek fans at this point, however unlikely,  as CBS clearly has no vision for it unless its dystopian, which is the opposite of what Star Trek has always been about.

Can't see a sale happening at all. Star Trek is literally the linchpin in CBS all access and one of the biggest franchises in the world. 

I've been through the first three episodes today and I really like it, which is great, because apparently it only gets better from here. Looking back through the thread some people weren't too keen. I thought episode three (The Moclan baby Arbitration ep) was pretty fantastic.

The humour is a bit too zany and the constant 20th century pop culture references need to go (has there been literally nothing culturally significant since Destiny's Child and the Kardashians, 400 years ago?) but the core of it is great.

Episodic sci-fi with glorious, glorious even TV lighting.

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

I've been through the first three episodes today and I really like it, which is great, because apparently it only gets better from here. Looking back through the thread some people weren't too keen. I thought episode three (The Moclan Aritration ep) was pretty fantastic.

The humour is a bit too zany and the constant 20th century pop culture references need to go (has there been literally nothing culturally significant since Destiny's Child and the Kardashians, 400 years ago?) but the core of it is great.

Episodic sci-fi with glorious, glorious even TV lighting.

The second season will be more to your liking then. It evolves in to much more of a TNG mould. There's still humour, but it's not Galaxy Quest or Spaceballs anymore.

I’m trying to get my wife to watch this with me (she didn’t get on with Trek) but the crap humour is putting her off in what is already an uphill struggle. Is there anything massive we’d be missing by skipping to season 2?

I really liked the biodome episode, even if it did wrap up too quickly and his ex wife’s jokes were horrendous. (I’ve just realised I don’t know any of the characters names except Ed, and I only picked that up yesterday). 

11 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

The latter half of Season 1 sets up a bunch of rather important events and character moments that really pay off well in Season 2, skipping ahead is a bad idea.

Indeed. The way they seed that arc without you realising they're doing it is one of the best things about The Orville.

• 1 month later...

I think it might actually be a blessing that it's not set in the Star Trek universe. There's no decades long canon to tiptoe (or trample) over, leaving everything completely open. Besides, the Star Trek universe is currently heading down the toilet at warp 9.

I've been catching up on this and it's absolutely wonderful, isn't it? A properly thoughtful sci-fi interpersonal drama, just like TNG. The storylines are engaging and thought-provoking and the character are actually likeable, and from the latter half of S1 onwards the jokes haven't been too egregious. It's ironic that despite the silly humour peppered across the scripts, it's actually a far more mature series than either of the two recent Star Treks.

(Mid-S2 spoilers - Identity Pt1 &2)

Spoiler

As an example - they've taken 21 episodes to get to their first actual 'war' scene, and as a result you're actually engaged by what's happening instead of it just being a CGI mess involving characters you barely know. When Malarkey flew a Krill fighter out into the battle I was genuinely worried that he might die, because of how long the show provided for us to get to know him.

Taking the time to introduce the characters, let us get to know their motivations and insecurities, and understand the context of the universe it's set in shows much more film-making maturity than "Let's kill people and blow stuff up ASAP". It reminded me a bit of Marvel's approach compared to the studios who've tried to capture a bit of the same lightning; take your time, and the audience will care.

It's the first show in quite a while that I'm deliberately not bingeing so that I can look forward to an episode a night. Marvelous stuff!

1 hour ago, PK said:

I've been catching up on this and it's absolutely wonderful, isn't it? A properly thoughtful sci-fi interpersonal drama, just like TNG. The storylines are engaging and thought-provoking and the character are actually likeable, and from the latter half of S1 onwards the jokes haven't been too egregious. It's ironic that despite the silly humour peppered across the scripts, it's actually a far more mature series than either of the two recent Star Treks.

(Mid-S2 spoilers - Identity Pt1 &2)

Reveal hidden contents

As an example - they've taken 21 episodes to get to their first actual 'war' scene, and as a result you're actually engaged by what's happening instead of it just being a CGI mess involving characters you barely know. When Malarkey flew a Krill fighter out into the battle I genuinely hoped he wouldn't die, because of how long the show took for us to get to know him.

Taking the time to introduce the characters, let us get to know their motivations and insecurities, and understand the context of the universe it's set in shows much more film-making maturity than "Let's kill people and blow stuff up ASAP". It reminded me a bit of Marvel's approach compared to the studios who've tried to capture a bit of the same lightning; take your time, and the audience will care.

It's the first show in quite a while that I'm deliberately not bingeing so that I can look forward to an episode a night. Marvelous stuff!

Where are you watching this? I bought s1 on dvd a while back but the disc won't play in my PS4 and I'd rather not have to watch it on my laptop if possible. 

10 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Where are you watching this? I bought s1 on dvd a while back but the disc won't play in my PS4 and I'd rather not have to watch it on my laptop if possible. 

Both seasons are on Prime for £15 each

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just watched the episode where Gordon falls for a girl he finds on a phone from a time capsule.  It is basically The Orville version of ‘Inner Light‘ and could well be my favourite episode of the entire show, where they absolutely nail the balance between drama and humour.

I am looking forward to season 3 of The Orville far more than Discovery as this is pretty much now my defacto Trek.:hat: