IGNORED

The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

That's usually a sign that both parties are refusing to budge on the financials.(budget/salaries/bonuses)..Mcfarlane,as creator/producer of the show, is probably trying to get more of everything.

• 2 months later...

It's leaving Fox for Hulu in the US. Though that's really just moving to another part of the same company these days.

It seems what sparked the move is more ambitious production leading to the third season not being delivered to the usual scheduled TV timeframe. So it's moving to a place that isn't tied down to the old TV season timeframes. Moving to Hulu will also allow more flexibility in running orders and running times too.

18 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Hopefully that means on on anything other than Sky over here. Don't really want to watch it on crappy NowTV.

I'm hoping it *is* Now TV so I don't need a sub to anything else!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished season 2, it's remarkable how this has molded itself into TNG, in just a couple of seasons. And as S2 finale wrapped up, I couldn't help but think back to Lt Lamar wanting to keep his giant drink on the bridge, and silly ex wife jokes. Like they had to sell it to execs on Family Guy humor, but just wanted to make occasionally lighthearted Star Trek. And now we have an overarching plot, too. 

Bravo, MacFarlane. Looking forward to S3. 

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

Just finished season 2, it's remarkable how this has molded itself into TNG, in just a couple of seasons. And as S2 finale wrapped up, I couldn't help but think back to Lt Lamar wanting to keep his giant drink on the bridge, and silly ex wife jokes. Like they had to sell it to execs on Family Guy humor, but just wanted to make occasionally lighthearted Star Trek. And now we have an overarching plot, too. 

Bravo, MacFarlane. Looking forward to S3. 

I'm impressed as how he has been able to hoodwink the execs by throwing in the occasional saucy gag just to make Star Trek like he always wanted.

With Discovery on now, looking back it seems like such an innocent time that we were whining about Braga's crazy plots, sex with Irish men on the holodeck and Voyager's inability to have any sort of actual continuity.  Come back, all is forgiven. 

1 minute ago, SharkyOB said:

Wow, the tone of this thread has certainly shifted since page 1!  Worth checking out for a sci-fi fan then?

Don't worry, lads. I've got this.

@SharkyOB - Nah mate. It is utter dogshit!! Like, what the actual fuck anyone sees in this show is beyond me!! This makes Star Trek Discovery look like an award-winning show. You should totally stay away. 

;)

18 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Thanks Thor.

Anyone else?  ;)

I didn't really get on with it at first.  It's sort of a parody of Star Trek NG and some of the jokes are a bit childish.  But I gave the first season a rewatch and grew to really like it.

I would rather watch the Orville than the new Star Trek.

It started off as a sort of parody, but quickly started to shift towards being more of a light hearted homage and ended up as a full on spiritual successor by season 2. It's probably my favourite show at the moment, and I can't wait for season 3.

I still think their should be another "captain" as seth doing his comedy bits just doesn't quite work with him as the captain of the whole ship but it may as well be called star trek: orville given the feel of it.

I'm really looking forward to the third series and I totally gave up on STD after series 2 as it may as well be generic space show for all the trek-iness it has (or doesn't, more to the point).

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

It's distinctly old fashioned

Though I must elaborate on this, because in many ways "old fashioned" means "written by a team of seasoned writers who break stories down in the writers room and work and re-work them until they make sense".

I'm contrasting this with the "modern" style of TV (and movie) Star Trek where they apparently pull random events out of a hat and then contort the 'characters' and plots so that they fit, even when it makes no sense or contradicts itself.

You know, I just like to watch something straight forward that isn't dumb as a bag of rocks. Somehow The Orville, the show that marketed itself as being really dumb and silly, is significantly less dumb and silly than Discovery. Good job!