rllmuk
Thor

The Orville - hang on, its actually been renewed for a third season!

1 hour ago, Sartre84 said:

OK HANG ON!!!   GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE!!!    Having watched the first four episodes I think this show is really pretty decent.   I'm already fully invested in it.   Admittedly to begin with its hard to get a real feel for the show as it alternates between moments of humour ( sometimes falling a little flat) and moments of actually pretty heavy drama.    At first this doesn't seem to work but by episodes 3 and 4 this is precisely what starts to make it work so well.     The light relief moments become exactly that, a few moments of oddball quirkiness to offset against genuine moments of tension and sombreness .        The plots themselves are actually just as serious as in an episode of Star Trek etc and they are interesting to follow.     The characters are entertaining and although the gags aren't always funny there are enough of them to amuse.    I actually don't mind Seth McFarlane's character too much despite him taking a lot of flak from the critics.       Look out for some big name actors in episode 4 who come as a bit of a surprise and also from what I hear in 5.      Don't go into this expecting a typical McFarlane show as it is fairly distinctive from anything he s done previously.    It is a comedy drama sci fi with pretty decent special effects.       I'd reccomend that people give it a chance.  I ll watch episode 5 later tonight.    

a8343912376cd6d544b185a5adf36ace95b24be7

• Upvote 2

Wanted to like this weeks - the story was good but got the characters (mostly Malloy) were asshats.

The humour of drunk frat boy grated a lot - and everyone in the future making pop culture references about the 20th century is getting irksome as well. 

• Upvote 1

Orville is back and it's another good episode

yes it's another TNG ep yadda yadda yadda but a touch of black mirror too - humour balance was spot on again.

It is Star Trek :D

Just to be clear yes it is more than a touch of Black Mirror but it also harks back to several TNG eps in tone regarding the Prime Directive. The rather shonky season 1 episode Justice being the most obvious comparison point.

Good though.

Also interesting to see them do the TNG thing of the captain being on ship.

Everything is a bit crap.  Except for some reason it works and the show is pretty good.

The often lame comedy seems to put the old-fashioned style of the show into some sort of context.  

3 hours ago, Halo said:

Renewed for a second season 

Can we please have the ship blow up or crash in the final episode, so we get a decent looking replacement.

The current design just reminds me too much of the ship from Galaxy Quest, maybe that's intentional but I really hate it.

38 minutes ago, Clipper said:

shame that season 1 wasnt a full season order (just 3 episodes) and no confirmation of the length of season 2

Ahh, what you on about, its up to at least 8.

34 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Ahh, what you on about, its up to at least 8.

sorry 13 - typo

it was ordered as a half season but no option to push to a  full season as normal because of production time etc (they need notice to do another order).

episode 8 is another cracker with some decent emotional stuff thrown in.

I for one am glad that this alternative to "new trek" exists as despite being anachronistic it just feels like TNG is back again.

yeah it's the final as well isn't it? seems a bit weird to move it till next year. apparently they didn't want one random episode being played in january since most the tv shows finish early december.

another good episode.

Again sticks to TNG formula but this time less of a "copy" of a TNG plot - altho it is a copy of some of the tropes.

The humour balance was pretty good too, just felt the penultimate scene was a bit too crowded.

Bit too wizard of OZ with everyone there which made no sense.

Some lovely moments throughout though with their first "holodeck" type episode. Had some nice twists

Episode 11 - Bloody hell that was a cracker - not a copy of a TNG episode (obviously themes are shared in some way) and compelling high scifi.

Utterly brilliant with a great high scifi plot excellent proper character development and humour. The only sad part is that MacFarlane feels the need to telegraph the literary reference quite so bluntly.

If anyone is still watching this or wavering give this episode a shot - it truly is the spiritual successor to TNG and that doesn't mean it is old fashioned as they pack alot into this episode.

If this is indicative of how the show will mature we are in for a fantastic 2nd season.