rllmuk
Thor

The Orville - hang on, its actually been renewed for a third season!

19 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

I think I like the idea of TNG-style stories with a bit more humour. Episode 3 could easily have been a TNG story.

Completely agree, I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed the three episodes so far.

just finished ep4 and it seems to be getting better with each ep - the comedy  seems to be getting less forced and the story again was very interesting (and in parts very adultish) 

Spoiler

spoiler for this week ep about a cameo

Spoiler

last chance to turn back!

Spoiler

Liam Nesson. was not expecting to see him turn up in this (even though him  seth are friends) 

On 25/09/2017 at 14:31, Commander Jameson said:

I'm liking the tone of this more than I was expecting to. I think I like the idea of TNG-style stories with a bit more humour. Episode 3 could easily have been a TNG story.

Yep, absolutely. Take out a few of the jokes and it could have been Riker in the court. 

I’m pleasantly surprised to be enjoying it this much. 

The story’s really have a next gen feel to them and are pretty interesting. The comedy seems to be getting more toned down as well as the episodes continue not as “must throw a joke in here” as the first two eps and more situational humour which works better 

it is TNG but with a different cast - like a top quality high budget fan made TNG series.

Really enjoyed last two as homages to TNG at least as good as the decent TNG was!

I think Fox will cancel this which will be a big shame as there is room for both this and ST:Discovery on the schedule - modern and old trek at the same time after waiting ages for even 1 decent trek series :)

EDIT - they even did the "episode end" pan shot of the Enterprise/Orville passing the thing they just did and warping out.

• Upvote 1

Just watched 4, it gets better with every episode. My wife remarked that it felt more like Star Trek than the new Star Trek. I hope the sold this to Fox execs as "TNG with dick jokes", because it's finding its feet and I think it could do well. 

Hell, even the Bortus/Klyden is surprisingly progressive for Fox but entirely in keeping with Star Trek pushing societal norms.

Boom, bitch :lol:

On 01/10/2017 at 21:16, Matt Defis said:

Enjoyed episode 4 as well, the last 2 episodes really have just been TNG episodes. 

Actually, episode 4 was just a TOS episode, in that it was literally the same plot as the episode For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky.

Is Seth Macfarlane phoning up his friends in the movie industry and getting them to guest star in this as a favour or something?

Last week,

Spoiler

Liam Neeson

This week

Spoiler

Charlize Theron

Who next?

Haven't watched any episodes yet, but have edited the thread title to reflect the opinions of this thread. Might catch up on these soon. :)

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Haven't watched any episodes yet, but have edited the thread title to reflect the opinions of this thread. Might catch up on these soon. :)

I wouldn't say its 'good', just very different to what people were expecting.

Quick query about latest episode....

Spoiler

if destroying the wormhole in the past stopped Pria ever coming after them, then how did they survive the dark matter field that was supposed to destroy them?

4 minutes ago, Venice Cull said:

Quick query about latest episode....

Hide contents

if destroying the wormhole in the past stopped Pria ever coming after them, then how did they survive the dark matter field that was supposed to destroy them?

see

It even has exactly the same time paradoxes that all Star Trek series have when they fuck aobut with time travel :D

It is the weirdest and most faithful homage to Trek I have seen. The pacing of the shots and dramatic switch to ship passovers matches TNG and TOS almost exactly to the point I think "ok time for a wide angle shot over the ship now"... and there it is.

I like it - its weird but I like it.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Frakes even directed that one.

oh ffs no wonder then :D

it is gratifying that as well as nu-trek we can still watch new "old" trek - well ok with some dodgy humour layed on etc. It is certainly watchable enough. However at the moment the plots do seem awfully familiar so would be nice if they had some brand new ideas :D  This last one was way too close to A Matter of Time from TNG (the one with Matt Frewer as the future thief)

• Upvote 1

Um, like others here, quite surprised to find I'm enjoying this. Binged all of the first five episodes. Fave characters are Bortus, Isaac, and Alara (a female John Carter). I was expecting some sort of sc-fi Family Guy and it's not really like that. It's not perfect... the "jokes" about that that big blob of goo trying to get into the Doctor's pants are especially lame.

But I'm actually looking forward to the next episode!

Caught up to Ep 5 now.

Really not sure what to make of it...Ep3 has undoubtably been the strongest (although the ending, while necessary, hurt)

It's a poor comedy (Basically it's Seth McFarlane's self-inserted Trek FanFiction rather than an actual comedy show) but I'm not sure it's a much better sci-fi drama...the end of episode 5 was complete non-sense. You can't try and tell serious stories and then fuck up like that.

I'm not hating it - but I'm not sure how much I enjoy it.

I'm finding some of the stuff with the ex-wife really odd. It's uncomfortable at time how much shit gets thrown at her (and then a literal bloody beating).

Also why did the horribly racist robot stop being racist? Is it an lazy excuse to have a "Data" as it appears?

6 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Also why did the horribly racist robot stop being racist? Is it an lazy excuse to have a "Data" as it appears?

I don't think it ever really was. It's never came off worse than Data explaining how much better he is at stuff.

I remember reading a review that commented about how a supposedly racist robot is never shown to be racist. It didn't come across that way in the show though, with the character explaining that his race believed themselves superior to other races, but seemingly more in the way humans tend to see themselves as superior to chimpanzees. He is basically Data though.

I am also liking it. My wife also seems to like it! We just finished episode 3, so bring on them all!

I like  that it's not a just a joke-a-minute and the humour is actually very good and well placed 

• Upvote 1

OK HANG ON!!!   GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE!!!    Having watched the first four episodes I think this show is really pretty decent.   I'm already fully invested in it.   Admittedly to begin with its hard to get a real feel for the show as it alternates between moments of humour ( sometimes falling a little flat) and moments of actually pretty heavy drama.    At first this doesn't seem to work but by episodes 3 and 4 this is precisely what starts to make it work so well.     The light relief moments become exactly that, a few moments of oddball quirkiness to offset against genuine moments of tension and sombreness .        The plots themselves are actually just as serious as in an episode of Star Trek etc and they are interesting to follow.     The characters are entertaining and although the gags aren't always funny there are enough of them to amuse.    I actually don't mind Seth McFarlane's character too much despite him taking a lot of flak from the critics.       Look out for some big name actors in episode 4 who come as a bit of a surprise and also from what I hear in 5.      Don't go into this expecting a typical McFarlane show as it is fairly distinctive from anything he s done previously.    It is a comedy drama sci fi with pretty decent special effects.       I'd reccomend that people give it a chance.  I ll watch episode 5 later tonight.    

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Sartre84 said:

OK HANG ON!!!   GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE!!!    Having watched the first four episodes I think this show is really pretty decent.   I'm already fully invested in it.   Admittedly to begin with its hard to get a real feel for the show as it alternates between moments of humour ( sometimes falling a little flat) and moments of actually pretty heavy drama.    At first this doesn't seem to work but by episodes 3 and 4 this is precisely what starts to make it work so well.     The light relief moments become exactly that, a few moments of oddball quirkiness to offset against genuine moments of tension and sombreness .        The plots themselves are actually just as serious as in an episode of Star Trek etc and they are interesting to follow.     The characters are entertaining and although the gags aren't always funny there are enough of them to amuse.    I actually don't mind Seth McFarlane's character too much despite him taking a lot of flak from the critics.       Look out for some big name actors in episode 4 who come as a bit of a surprise and also from what I hear in 5.      Don't go into this expecting a typical McFarlane show as it is fairly distinctive from anything he s done previously.    It is a comedy drama sci fi with pretty decent special effects.       I'd reccomend that people give it a chance.  I ll watch episode 5 later tonight.    

Thank you, FOX Channel marketing node 1373.

• Upvote 7