rllmuk
Thor

The Orville - hang on, its actually been renewed for a third season!

Despite not being a fan of Macfarlane's acting, I think it actually looks really fun. :)

But yeah, it's on FOX. It will get cancelled.

I got a theory that Macfarlane has run out of races to be racist about, so now how to make new ones up to get it out of his system. 

I'm sure it'll be just like family guy where every episode is funny, up to the point where it pisses you off with some lazy slur. 

• Upvote 2

MacFarlane is as wooden as a Keira Knightley Cabinet and that trailer was awful as a result. 

He just seems to suck all of the air out of every scene he's in. He should write words for other actors to say and appear as a voice. Ted was great. 

It looks ok from the trailer but you just know that like A Million Ways to Die In The West, it's going to be a one joke gimmick that's stretched way, way too far (and with as many cliches as possible. Good to see he's brought out of retirement the "ex-wife" routine).

On 17/05/2017 at 01:09, Chosty said:

I thought was going to be an origins story about how Keith Harris met the green duck. In my head it ends with a teaser showing an orange monkey's arm reaching into shot to set up the sequel.

I'd pay to see that.

The trailer isn't remotely funny, so I won't comment any further on the jokes.

Visually, it's a high-budget version of "BBC sketch show does a generic Star Trek spoof, usually written by people who have seen it about once". I keep expecting them to say "ray guns" or "space warp" in the trailer. It's like a fancy-dress-shop version of science fiction. And that doesn't make it any more or less funny, but it does make it feel lazy.

• Downvote 1

Oh wow, MacFarlane's said, while the visual influence is obvious, the tone of the show is influenced by M*A*S*H.

A swing and a miss, I'd say, from the trailers.

Premieres tonight in the US.

Despite some of the promotion and MacFarlane, everyone who has seen it has said it's much more of a straight drama than a comedy or a parody. Fox has started promoting it as a "space adventure". A more accurate description would be an off-brand Star Trek.

This programme sounds so weird. It's like Seth McFarlane's decided he wants to be in Star Trek, made his own copy of the show, and Fox have decided to put it on television for some reason. It seems like the kind of thing he should have made in his garage, and screened for the other people in his Star Trek Yahoo group.

• Upvote 2

It was probably pitched to FOX as Family Guy meets Star Trek, and it'll be by the guy who gave us Family Guy and American Dad, two shows that have generated great rating, it's a winner! 

I imagine they thought it would be much more of a comedy, and they decided to gloss over how charisma sucking Seth McFarlane is in front of the camera. 

Star Trek Lite with some crap jokes is what it sounds like they've made, and I don't know who wants that. 

just watched this over my lunch break and it really doesn't know what it wants to be, its tone is all over the show.  one minute it's dropping a joke (most fall flat) then suddenly its a straight dramatic scene  which is really jarring as neither parts are  really good.  it might also have helped if the opening story was any good, but It wasn't it, it was as generic as it comes.  unless they really change the show after the first (pilot I'm assuming) episode, then I can see this being dropped mid season.  

4 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Very odd to have this coming out a few weeks before a new official Star Trek. (No, I don't expect either to be watchable or entertaining.)

its probably  this exact reason why they have released this now - with all the hype being generated of the new star trek, fox probably  are thinking that they can use that to help with there show.  

Its just surprising they initially where advertising this as an all out sitcom in space, when in  reality its more a "dramity" (not a good one)- it really is like they had 2 different ideas for a show - one a slapstick comedy another a drama set aboard a star trek style space ship and the went we cant afford both so lets merge them into one!

• Upvote 1