1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Was listening to the Bombcast and it’s really disappointing to hear they’ve gone even further down the drug trips and getting captured by the enemy at every turn stuff. I don’t know what the Far Cry team’s obsession with drug sequences is but I find them so tiresome. 

The only way to do drug sequences in games is to take some drugs and play them.

Yeah, you can't help but feel that it is only a matter of time until a big player enters the Battle Royal arena, complete with established handling ala COD or Far Cry, and just dominates it.

PUBG is such a good idea and really fun to play and that is it spite of its often terrible controls and inventory systems. 

Far Cry or Cod being adapted for it is surely only a matter of time. 

None of the other big players can support anywhere near as many human players, though, aside from Battlefield. Far Cry 5 is two players (although it looks like you can have a larger party for Arcade?)

The thing is Ubisoft sort of did the PUBG thing before PUBG came out with that excellent Division Survival expansion. Granted, it was only 24 players, and was a bit more complicated (enemy npc's, a virus thing, hypothermia, etc) but it was awesome. 

As for Far Cry 5, I got the mondo edition (a very nice steelbook and vinyl soundtrack). Game seems good so far, although I think I saw a turkey have a fight with a shotgun guy and win, which looked odd.

26 minutes ago, Pob said:

None of the other big players can support anywhere near as many human players, though, aside from Battlefield. Far Cry 5 is two players (although it looks like you can have a larger party for Arcade?)

Is this technical limitations then?  PUBG does look a bit pish, but is this because to have 100 players on a map you have to make sacrifices in other areas?  

Having said that, Far Cry or COD with a downgraded visuals but same controls would still be a tempting Battle Royale prospect. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

19 attempts though, @Moz :lol:

You had me worried for a minute there.

I don't know why people keep coming into the thread saying "I did it on normal and it wasn't too bad" as if that's what I said. On easy it plays itself. On normal it plays itself except you have to kill the turret guy near the end. On hard you can't cook dynamite because you die too quickly, even in cover.

A few comments in this thread about it looking great on Xbox One Xs. But is anyone playing this on a standard Xbox One? How does it look/play (I realise the frame rate is lower)?

Edit: don't worry, I just watched a comparison video and to my eye you get the obvious sharpness increase at distance, but it broadly looks the same (and I don't have a 4K TV, so that's irrelevant to me). I wonder how stable the frame rate is on an original Xbox One when there's lots going on...

21 minutes ago, Moz said:

I don't know why people keep coming into the thread saying "I did it on normal and it wasn't too bad" as if that's what I said. On easy it plays itself. On normal it plays itself except you have to kill the turret guy near the end. On hard you can't cook dynamite because you die too quickly, even in cover.

Wait, so you're saying that choosing to play the game on hard actually has the result of making the game hard.  Good to know. 

3 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I imagine it looks crazy good on X1X based on PS4Pro at 1080p.

It almost looks like a new generation title.

It’s that good.

i was a bit worried on that opening island thinking they'd really overdone the HDR as there was a bright whiteout everywhere, until I realised that it was 'fog' to keep you hemmed in. Looks much better now!

I do think FC games are artistically quite ugly though. Quite harsh looking, though the stripped-back HUD helps with this new one. I think GR: Wildlands, AC: Origins and Watch Dogs 2 are more pleasant-looking games.

41 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Wait, so you're saying that choosing to play the game on hard actually has the result of making the game hard.  Good to know. 

If by hard you mean "didn't playtest base damage rate versus ability cast time" then yes. The hour following that sequence was piss easy on hard incidentally.

My fave moment in the first couple of hours was just after I freed Boomer and befriended him, I was poking around the house where his owners were massacred when I saw Boomer barking at something. In the doorway to the house was a cougar in a stand-off with the mutt. A quick bullet to the skull and I had my first animal skin.

Spoiler

Then I killed the cougar as well.

I'm playing on a original Xbox One and a bog standard Sony Bravia HD telly and I think it looks great. 

For the first time in ages today I came home and wanted to get straight back playing where I left of at 2am this morning. I can't remember the last game I did that with. Normal routine is home, change clothes, make a tea, watch the Chase then the news, then food is cooked and eaten.Then it's games/netflix time.

So anyway, power up the Xbox aaaaannd it's Time For An Update from Xbox, been going 40 minutes and it's only upto 14%.  FML :hmm:

1 hour ago, Pob said:

i was a bit worried on that opening island thinking they'd really overdone the HDR as there was a bright whiteout everywhere, until I realised that it was 'fog' to keep you hemmed in. Looks much better now!

I do think FC games are artistically quite ugly though. Quite harsh looking, though the stripped-back HUD helps with this new one. I think GR: Wildlands, AC: Origins and Watch Dogs 2 are more pleasant-looking games.

I actually loved the style of that opening section.. although agree it wasn't immediately obvious that it was supposed to be fog/mist.

My most amusing moment from first sessions play came from an NPC Hunter getting mauled by a Cougar seconds after giving me a lecture about Hunting.

I just freed a bear from a cage.  It promptly tanked off into an explosive barrel, which sent it flying and set it on fire.  It got up, legged it into the enemy encampment I was pouring a nice cup of libertea for, and mauled everyone to death.

A flaming bear.

A flaming bear.

Nope.  No matter how many times I read that, it doesn't get any less rad.

Based on the just released Digital Foundry video of the PS4 or PS4 Pro versions I suspect whatever format you play on it is a stunning game. They mention that the difference between the two Sony versions is mostly resolution. 

DF also make the point that Ubisoft has three main tech engines driving all these games. Either way whether it is this, Ghost Recon or something else - Ubisoft has certainly nailed pretty open world games.

This is buggy as hell. I had to reload twice when rescuing the dog. The first time, the cage would not open. The second time the cage opened, but the dog just stayed in the cage barking constantly. I was at a loss, and so youtubed it. He's supposed to leave the cage and then you can pet him to finish that mission. A third reload fixed it.

Not exactly good signs at this early stage. 

1 hour ago, Mgear said:

Based on the just released Digital Foundry video of the PS4 or PS4 Pro versions I suspect whatever format you play on it is a stunning game. They mention that the difference between the two Sony versions is mostly resolution. 

DF also make the point that Ubisoft has three main tech engines driving all these games. Either way whether it is this, Ghost Recon or something else - Ubisoft has certainly nailed pretty open world games.

Assassins Creed and Wildlands are AnvilNext, Watch Dogs is Disrupt and FC is Dunia. Plus you’ve got The Division using Snowdrop. Pretty impressive lineup!