I

22 hours ago, Thor said:

Hide contents

... the stock "Shoot bad guy. Job done. Go home. OOH RAH" ending. And the game was perfectly building up to that. 

Didn't happen, the rug was royally pulled, and now people are whining saying,  "nothing I did mattered".  :lol:

Do these people have no sense of irony? 

I fully agree - the ending was (for me) pretty much an indictment of the real world out there...

Spoiler

...where arseholes are pretty much getting away with whatever they want, despite how we've all been brought up to stand against all of that. It's a wry nod to the actuality out there and - if we let it - the pointlessness of it all. This is not to say that the morals in deeds and stories are pointless; just that we shouldn't expect the real world to comply when it is allowed to be as it is.

6 hours ago, MeanElf said:

I

I fully agree - the ending was (for me) pretty much an indictment of the real world out there...

Hide contents

...where arseholes are pretty much getting away with whatever they want, despite how we've all been brought up to stand against all of that. It's a wry nod to the actuality out there and - if we let it - the pointlessness of it all. This is not to say that the morals in deeds and stories are pointless; just that we shouldn't expect the real world to comply when it is allowed to be as it is.

But don't we play games to get away from the real world?

Isn't that the whole point of entertainment most of the time? I don't know about you but I don't want crime shows etc on TV because i want to be entertained and not reminded of the stark realities of the world. I want to switch off for a while and play games not be reminded how bleak the world is.

@Phelan Indeed, I can appreciate what you mean, but entertainment has a whole gamut of genres appended to it - those crime shows you mention are also entertainment, for some. My wife loves forensics and the science or art of logical detection as used in the Sherlock Holmes stories; she also adores horror, both genres that I am not keen on - they are still entertainment categories.

Personally,  I enjoy a range of genres in film and games - I just don't expect the bigger issues (which the past Far Cry games 2 til 5 have chewed on for us) to be sweetened unnecessarily. Probably I'm doing a bad job of explaining myself here, and for that I apologise.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

So why play this at all then, Phelan? This is a grim game full of torture, hate, and despair. 

Mainly cause I’ve enjoyed the others in the series. The game was fun except the main story albeit the Faith section was ok but the nihilistic ending was dire and ruined the game for me. 

It can be easy to miss that it’s nighttime even if the day/night cycle is working. Nights are more like overcast days, so you end up having to look for the moon. 

Just finished the game in co-op with my mate as the host. I've got no inclination to go back and finish it on own account :(

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I've also just finished it this week.  It's perfect timing to trade it for God of War, as there's nothing in Far Cry worth going back to.  Enjoyed it while it lasted, though.

• Upvote 1

And just finished also. Bloody loved the ending and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. What an absolutely excellent video game. :)

Post some more thoughts tomorrow once I've slept on it. 

• Upvote 3

I'm about halfway through the 3rd region.... I'm Far Cry'd out so I think I'll leave it there.

Great game overall. I didn't mind the forced missions too much. The only thing that bugged me about them is that it didn't leave me any time to prepare. I tended to switch my gun line up depending on what I was doing. So having long range/stealthy set up in one of the boss fights was not ideal....

Out of all the Far Cry games I've played this was the best in terms of game play, mechanics and graphics. The guns/fangs for hire system was so good, I loved switching people around and directing them while taking down an outpost!   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

It's not perfect though, that fight in the planes against John sucks.

Hmm, I guess it depends what you do it in.  Spoilers for the mission below...

Spoiler

I got to the house and got the message "Destroy John's plane" or whatever it said.  "Must be that one there!" I thought, looking at the plane on the runway.  A swift grenade later, and the plane's gone, but I still have the same objective.  Bugger.  "Aha!  There's another one in the hangar!".  BOOM.  Nope.  Bugger.  Then I see the yellow quest marker up in the sky, and there are no more aircraft to be seen on the ground.  Oops.  So I quick-travel to the closest heli-port, summon my helicopter with the rockets, and go and shoot down the planes in about 30 seconds flat.

So yeah, you just did it the hard way.  ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Out of all the Far Cry games I've played this was the best in terms of game play, mechanics and graphics. The guns/fangs for hire system was so good, I loved switching people around and directing them while taking down an outpost!   

I really enjoyed the predecessor to fangs for hire in Far Cry: Primal, that plus the Owl. I spent far too long exploring and avoiding the first animal taming mission and so was constantly fighting off wolves, big cats, honey badgers etc until I did. The game became a lot easier after that point.

Haven't played much recently due to being away (yay!) but had a quick blast last night to add to the 10 or so hours played since launch and, yeah, it's nothing amazing but it's just really enjoyable once you get into the swing of things. Just about ready to take out John Seed, but also quite content to mop up a few side missions.

Cleared out an outpost via bait last night. Heard a bear, lobbed meat at the cultists, cue hicks screaming: "itsa bay-yer!"  as Yogi went to town and I just watched the mauling from a safe distance. Red Dead is going to have to let you ride a bear while firing your six shooters to top Best Video Game Bear Moment 2018.

Yeh so still think it was an excellent game. Such a great bit of world building (Ubisoft going from strength to strength with this and iterating well) and just excellent fun all round. I didn't mind the capture mission you got pulled for as you knew when they were coming but can see how might annoy some. And i really liked the bliss bits, thought they captured the LSD trippiness very well indeed. Also a great cast of characters who made me chuckle all the way through, redneck for life! I’m looking forward to tidying up the few remaining missions in coop with my mate.

I really enjoyed both endings. First, the

walk away bit which I think meant you killed everyone as the spooky music started again (though sheriff was being v dodgy at that point) but then what happened to the nukes if inevitable as it just faded to black? Hmm… 

Then the ‘proper’ ending

was just brilliant. I loved that they did that and didn’t go for the usual hoo-rah, you beat all the bad guys and happy days rubbish. Really, really well done and entertaining. The last gasp race to the bunker as armageddon kicked off was excellent. 

Special mention has to go to the music and soundtrack which were lovely and never got bored of any of it. And the sfx in general on a decent pair of headphones with surround were great.

Looking forward to another Far Cry in a few years I think if they can keep up this level of world building and quality.

• Upvote 2

I have done 2 regions and the last one is the woman and I hate drug induced missions, not sure if I can be bothered to do it, Its a good game but I am disappointed, it could have been so much better.

The drug capture thing is fine the first time - drug missions have been a staple of Far Cry since what 2, or 3? But fucking hell, after the fourth, fifth, sixth time...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bwi said:

Seems i'm the only one who liked the ending then lol

Nah, I liked it, Len a few posts up liked it, and a few others. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/18/2018 at 16:13, catinthehat said:

I've also just finished it this week.  It's perfect timing to trade it for God of War, as there's nothing in Far Cry worth going back to.  Enjoyed it while it lasted, though.

Traded my copy at Game today.  Massive queue in there at lunchtime, with pretty much everybody in the queue trading Far Cry for God of War.  

It's weird, since I "finished" it, I've still played it every night until stupid-o'clock, polishing off some side missions, and making damned sure to uncover every area of the map.  Last thing I did last night before switching it off, was to buy as much stuff as possible with the 80K of cash I had left. I'd already bought every weapon I wanted, plus all of the upgrades, plus a few cars, helicopters and boats. Those early reviews that said you'd be short of cash unless you paid for the silver bars were just so wrong.  Idiots.

• Upvote 2

One thing I forgot to mention and maybe it’s just me but every single time I booted the game that Ubisoft intro with the barn and truck never failed to not bloody amaze me. Looks astonishing and even photo realistic on a 4k/HDR tele coupled with the surround on headphones sfx/music. Don’t know why but just loved it and left me gobsmacked (in a look how far we've come way) every time. 8-)

• Upvote 3

I just defeated John Seed - will the planes leave me alone for a while now? They were putting me off booting up the game TBH.

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

I just defeated John Seed - will the planes leave me alone for a while now? They were putting me off booting up the game TBH.

Yes, they should do.  Each zone is more or less like starting again, and it ramps up as you start to liberate it more and more.

If you've unlocked the 4th weapon slot, just pack a rocket launcher in your load-out.

4 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Yes, they should do.  Each zone is more or less like starting again, and it ramps up as you start to liberate it more and more.

If you've unlocked the 4th weapon slot, just pack a rocket launcher in your load-out.

It wasn't too bad as I quite liked the pressure to push on and take out the boss, as long as I now have some space to mop up the remaining compounds without my cover being blown from the skies.

On 20/04/2018 at 15:52, Pob said:

It wasn't too bad as I quite liked the pressure to push on and take out the boss, as long as I now have some space to mop up the remaining compounds without my cover being blown from the skies.

You are safe from planes after the area boss is down; any cult planes will have a resistance tail chasing and harrying it  - before that though, you can (if there is enough tree cover) hide from helicopters and planes, though you'll need to keep an ear open for them at all times to avoid being spotted.

Been wandering all over the map this week, including taking the disused railroad track from one side of the map to the other.

• Upvote 1

I think this might go the way of FC3 and FC4 for me, and I'll end up playing it on and off for a couple of years. I do really like it, as I did the previous games, but there is so much going on that making progress is like wading through treacle. Now, treacle is very tasty so don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun, but it's quite wearying.

For example, last night I rescued a guy who was being held up at the side of the road, and it took about six attempts at talking to him before he was able to finish his sentence about an outpost location. He'd be halfway through his spiel and some new threat would enter his zone of influence and he'd go into panic mode. By the time I got the intel there were a load of burnt-out pickups, quad-bikes and big rigs strewn across the road. It was like a scene from The Naked Gun.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I do enjoy the Far Cry games and this one is included.  It is a keeper since the basic mechanics are really good fun and some of the Arcade stuff I have tried so far has been really good.  The DLC should be pretty good as well.

One thing though, it seems to have a lot less outposts than previous games.  I could be misremembering but in Far Cry 3 and 4 the outposts were the life blood of the game but here they do not seem overly present.  We also seem to have lost the 'boss' outposts from Far Cry 4 which were good fun.