I didn't mind them either. In fact, I found them perfectly believable from the point of view of "ill-educated religious mentalists having control".  They're bound to spout utter bullshit. 

The Seed family are nothing but dumb white trash, were people really expecting fucking Shakespeare? 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

The ending is a huge downer, no doubt, but it makes sense in the context of what you find out about the Seeds:

Reveal hidden contents

Every one of them, Faith to a somewhat lesser extent, use their religion to justify terrible things they’ve done or sadistic aspects of their personalities. That nuke wasn’t an ‘end of the world’ event, because why would anyone bomb a remote, mountainous terrain like Montana? It was Joseph setting off one he had somehow obtained to ensure his prophecies were correct - otherwise he really was just a cowardly and deeply selfish man who murdered his child because he couldn’t face raising them alone.

I whole heartedly agree that these grim aspects go with the comedy missions like strawberries and bream, however. 

This isn't the case unfortunately, although I'd agree with you that would be a better ending.

Polygon had the same interpretation you did but a Ubisoft rep got in touch and said the bombs were the start of a world wide nuclear war.

On 4/13/2018 at 11:39, Gizamaluke said:

I got captured wing-suiting down a mountain once. When the script kicks in there is no escape.

I got capture while in one of the bunkers. The main one. Yeah, the scripting really sucks. For a game that's all about freedom etc it's story and progression is restrictive. It's not a believable world when you get a blow dart to the neck while you are standing alone in a locked room with no windows...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Thor said:

The Seed family are nothing but dumb white trash, were people really expecting fucking Shakespeare? 

Id take Dan Brown. Unfortunately it doesn’t even reach that low level.

9 minutes ago, Simmy said:

If I get shot with a drug laced arrow one more fucking time my PlayStation is going out the window.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 9

Just finished it. Loved the game  and loved the ending.

Spoiler

Reseting the world seems like a good idea

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Zael said:

This isn't the case unfortunately, although I'd agree with you that would be a better ending.

Reveal hidden contents

Polygon had the same interpretation you did but a Ubisoft rep got in touch and said the bombs were the start of a world wide nuclear war.

Really? Ugh. Guess I was hoping for a bit too much regarding nuance from the writers! 

• Upvote 1

Jesus...just finished it and what a hateful and nasty ending. Nothing I did mattered and it apparently was all for nothing. I've no idea why they thought that ending would be a good idea. It's a shame as I was enjoying being in that world. Really left a bad taste. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The level of whining about the ending is a delicious source of amusement. :lol:

Oh, the glorious salt! 

Is that because it’s an explosions game, and previous Far Cry games had clumsy narratives, so we shouldn’t expect any better? I’m sure lots of people don’t give two shits about the stories in Far Cry games, but that doesn’t turn criticism of them into some pretentiously elitist pursuit. Stop criticising and Ubisoft would probably cease even their ham-fisted stabs at fiction, then we’d be back to the godawful story of the original Far Cry. 

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Is that because it’s an explosions game, and previous Far Cry games had clumsy narratives, so we shouldn’t expect any better?

But we did get better, admittedly very marginally. But no, it's nothing to do with explosions. It's clear many wanted... 

Spoiler

... the stock "Shoot bad guy. Job done. Go home. OOH RAH" ending. And the game was perfectly building up to that. 

Didn't happen, the rug was royally pulled, and now people are whining saying,  "nothing I did mattered".  :lol:

Do these people have no sense of irony? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Don’t all far cry games end with everything going bad? I mean, I turned Kyrat

Spoiler

into a heroin nation using slave Labour

in FC4.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

But we did get better, admittedly very marginally. But no, it's nothing to do with explosions. It's clear many wanted... 

Reveal hidden contents

... the stock "Shoot bad guy. Job done. Go home. OOH RAH" ending. And the game was perfectly building up to that. 

Didn't happen, the rug was royally pulled, and now people are whining saying,  "nothing I did mattered".  :lol:

Do these people have no sense of irony? 

I think there’s some element of that, yeah. But in my mind it’s not so much that the ending...

...made your efforts feel pointless with the bomb, but that it wasn’t smart enough to pull off that kind of switcheroo. It didn’t give you anything in exchange for taking away the usual conquering hero conclusion. Look at Spec Ops for an example of how you can subvert hero tropes without frustrating the player, but the devs either weren’t able or willing to put that level of thought into it. I think that’s what’s frustrating people, not only that they didn’t get their expected reward, but that it was taken away for no good reason bar the laziest ‘twist’ in the world.

• Empathy 1

How is the the ending lazy?  And why is it getting compared to Spec-Ops's? The only similarities between the two games are that you have guns, and you shoot people. That's it. 

Pointless?

Spoiler

I saved loads of people, some of which left Hope county and might have got away. Er....maybe.

I freed loads of people, bet they got into bunkers. Or died free, that’s what counts. It’s what they would have wanted.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Thor said:

How is the the ending lazy?  And why is it getting compared to Spec-Ops's? The only similarities between the two games are that you have guns, and you shoot people. That's it. 

I didn’t compare it to Spec Ops’s ending, I said look to Spec Ops for a game that successfully subverts action hero tropes. Far Cry 5’s ending is lazy because it wants to be subversive but lacks the imagination to do it in any interesting way - it’s like a teenager rebelling by getting their ear pierced. Also it ignores logic...

concerning a nuke striking Montana. Montana wouldn’t be targeted. You can tell brainstorming of the ‘nuclear’ ending went little further than a whiteboard in the developer’s office with ‘WHAT IF JOSEPH WAS RIGHT?’ written on it.

In short, if you want to upset the usual formula then you should have a reason, or something to say. This has neither. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

In short, if you want to upset the usual formula then you should have a reason, or something to say. This has neither. 

It never pretended to. Does that mean it has to stick to the usual formula? Personally I'm surprised more aren't enjoying the simple irony of the game's ending. 

And no, I'd bet no-one had...

Spoiler

"WHAT IF JOSEPH WAS RIGHT?" on a whiteboard.

There may have been some white trash racists on the dev team secretly thinking it. But on a whiteboard? I'm gonna go with what little faith in humanity I still have, and say nah.

The part about the whiteboard was facetious, what I meant is that they hadn’t thought it through any deeper than that. Hence my initial reading of it was ‘huh, well I guess it makes sense if...’ which was shared by a few gaming journos then Ubisoft came out and said ‘No, it really was just that.’ 

Some players see narrative as a means to an end whereas others get slightly invested in it (slightly being the operative word in FC5’s case). I can see the irony of the ending satisfying group A but it was only ever going to piss off group B. Of course they don’t need a good reason to give us that kind of ending, but it’s an oddly devisive choice for no greater payoff then ‘heh.’ 

• Upvote 1

Dear Jim, 

Please paint Joseph Seed, sat aboard a raft floating on all the salty tears from the people who disliked Far Cry 5's ending, blessing all their cotton socks.

Cheers

T. Odinson