That fucking sucks, but I’m guessing the waiting a bit longer thing probably relies on all the cast not needing to go and get other jobs. Having watched Glow, Mad Men and Community over the last two years I’ve come to think of Alison Brie as one of the most talented actors in the world, and I’d be absolutely amazed if she wasn’t saturated in offers for other work. They can’t realistically expect the cast to just sit about for the next year not working, and once they’ve gone off to do other things the nature of TV contracts means they’ll be committed to those things instead.

On 10/08/2020 at 10:25, ZOK said:

I’m not sure a fourth season will add anything. While S3 was easily the best one, I think it ended at a nice narrative note, and seemed like a fitting ending.

Sorry guys - I’ve been aware for some time Netflix are reading my posts here as a guide to what’s Tired / Wired, and even though this post was as badly wordmangled as any I’ve ever done written, they unpicked the mussel of truth from its shell. :(

Broker, don't watch The Rental.

If they can't fit in a full season, can't they try and at least give us a 60-90 minute ending? The cancelling of shows multiple seasons in pisses me off so much.

9 hours ago, Broker said:

That fucking sucks, but I’m guessing the waiting a bit longer thing probably relies on all the cast not needing to go and get other jobs. Having watched Glow, Mad Men and Community over the last two years I’ve come to think of Alison Brie as one of the most talented actors in the world, and I’d be absolutely amazed if she wasn’t saturated in offers for other work. They can’t realistically expect the cast to just sit about for the next year not working, and once they’ve gone off to do other things the nature of TV contracts means they’ll be committed to those things instead.

They also apparently paid the series regulars in full, so they really can’t just wait for them to sit about. Who knows when it might be feasible to shoot a show about wrestling again?

While the COVID/logistics side of things is definitely a contributing factor, ultimately it comes down to the popularity of the show. It has never done very well in terms of viewers and was nearly cancelled after season 1 and season 2 but they kept it on because a) it was picking up Emmy noms and b) they wanted to keep Jenji Kohan sweet.

Had this been a much more popular show, they would have found a way to make it work but you've got an expensive show with a big cast and a relatively small audience that will only become more expensive and difficult to shoot due to COVID. Ultimately, the cost/reward ratio isn't there for Netflix. They even say in their reasoning that they're not sure if an audience would still be there for it by the time it aired. 

I posted an article a few weeks back too in the main netflix thread about how they structure their contracts, as Netflix retains global rights in perpetuity for its shows the contracts are structured on a cost plus set percentages for each season - this rewards production companies for making popular long running shows but after 2 seasons, when the % on top starts to rise, Netflix get pretty ruthless about culling a show that will cost them more and more each season to make. 

1 hour ago, Majora said:

While the COVID/logistics side of things is definitely a contributing factor, ultimately it comes down to the popularity of the show. It has never done very well in terms of viewers and was nearly cancelled after season 1 and season 2 but they kept it on because a) it was picking up Emmy noms and b) they wanted to keep Jenji Kohan sweet.

Had this been a much more popular show, they would have found a way to make it work but you've got an expensive show with a big cast and a relatively small audience that will only become more expensive and difficult to shoot due to COVID. Ultimately, the cost/reward ratio isn't there for Netflix. They even say in their reasoning that they're not sure if an audience would still be there for it by the time it aired. 

There's also the issue that the cost of producing a Netflix show goes up exponentially after the second series, as numerous bonuses to the cast and producers start to kick in. This is largely to make up for the lack of residuals that they'd get from the syndication of a network/cable show. It's also why so many Netflix shows get cancelled after the second season. 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/netflix-originals-cancelled-oa-altered-carbon-sense8#:~:text=“They have to give [a,because it costs them more.”

3 hours ago, footle said:

They also apparently paid the series regulars in full, so they really can’t just wait for them to sit about. Who knows when it might be feasible to shoot a show about wrestling again?

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday night in the real world.

• 3 weeks later...