rllmuk

19 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I started watching this, seen the first three eps. It’s curious, isn’t it? It’s around 50% fantastic, and 50% utter shite...and very watchable for that.

I’m thrilled it’s based on a real thing though, did I read there is a doc on Netflix too?

yeah the tone is a bit weird, apart from one shagging scene and someone dropping a C-bomb the first few eps could be a PG show. It improves a lot over the course of the series.

The lassie from Community really shines towards the end, particularly 

Spoiler

a bit where she acts of most of a match by herself and when she starts doing her Russian schtick

Loved the documentary of this, really interesting to see how they twisted around it to make a drama series. I’m only up to the roller skating episode in the series, but loving that too.

• Upvote 1

I was mystified that they didn't use Glow by Rick James on the soundtrack of the first series, as it's the right era, it fits the vibe of the show, and it's an absolutely banging tune. Maybe they're saving it for the season finale.

Yeah I liked the first one, but this second series was almost like a whole new show - really enjoyed it. Just much funnier, lots of good cheesy wrestling stories and some really good drama. Can’t wait for the next series now! 

I knew the basic premise of it but could never be arsed to watch this for whatever reason. What a fool. Watched the first seven eps today already, it's brilliant. 

The 

Spoiler

KKK match :lol:

The actual wrestling looks pretty good too! 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Just finished it, 2 great series in a row, a rarity these days.

I'm on the last one it's great and an awesome 80's soundtrack again.  

Missed a song from Transformers the movie though.

The scene with bash though in the final episode. Elevates this to another level. 

• Upvote 1

On 30/06/2018 at 23:04, jon_cybernet said:

Yeah I liked the first one, but this second series was almost like a whole new show - really enjoyed it. Just much funnier, lots of good cheesy wrestling stories and some really good drama. Can’t wait for the next series now! 

I’ve watched the first three eps and it seems exactly the same as season one to me. Which is good, because I loved season one.

My main gripe is that it seems impossible to find anywhere on the internet that does a t-shirt with the series’ GLOW pink neon logo on it. What the fuck’s up with that?!

I went in with an expectation from jon's post that it was going to be totally different and found it pretty much the same too.

A couple of times its veered very close to some Orange Is The New Black style shite (I'm thinking the 'hilarious' hospital montage bit), is that impossible to avoid with a mainly female cast ?

They've made Mark Marin's character much harder to like, he's mostly plain unlikable for the first few eps, but the stand outs for me are Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin, the former is brilliant in being both super annoying and really endearing  at the same time, and I love seeing when Gilpin just switches on the game face and  becomes Liberty Bell.

I'm still really enjoying it though, I'm a sucker for anything 80s era but think the show still has some real heart to it and is something different.

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

I went in with an expectation from jon's post that it was going to be totally different and found it pretty much the same too.

A couple of times its veered very close to some Orange Is The New Black style shite (I'm thinking the 'hilarious' hospital montage bit), is that impossible to avoid with a mainly female cast ?

They've made Mark Marin's character much harder to like, he's mostly plain unlikable for the first few eps, but the stand outs for me are Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin, the former is brilliant in being both super annoying and really endearing  at the same time, and I love seeing when Gilpin just switches on the game face and  becomes Liberty Bell.

I'm still really enjoying it though, I'm a sucker for anything 80s era but think the show still has some real heart to it and is something different.

I guess I just felt it leaned into the cheesy wrestling theme a bit more and had more fun with the concept. I loved all the soap opera wrestling storylines of the WWF in the 80’s and liked seeing them embrace that more in the second series. 

Guess it was just me then! 

No I get that too. But it’s really a product of the show’s chronology. Series one is leading up to air, concept development, and in series 2 that sit already exists so they can get more involved with it.

What about my t-shirt though?!

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

No I get that too. But it’s really a product of the show’s chronology. Series one is leading up to air, concept development, and in series 2 that sit already exists so they can get more involved with it.

What about my t-shirt though?!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=M9w_W4XPMYPVwQLO8KjgAw&q=glow+tv+show+t+shirt&oq=glow+tv+show+t+shirt&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.8706.13810.0.14668.8.8.0.0.0.0.89.501.8.8.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.307...0i7i30k1j0i67k1j0i13k1j0i8i7i30k1.0.uYuk6EdTnEE

That’s exactly what I mean - a load of GLOW related tees, but none of the shows logo except one poor imitation.

In 2018 that just isn’t right.

I'm watching this at the moment with the missus and it's great. We're about midway through series 2:

Spoiler

Debbie has just busted Ruth's leg.

The soundtrack is excellent, too. Bronski Beat, Run DMC, Sylvester - great stuff. I wasn't even alive in the 80s but I'm still feeling the nostalgia.

• Upvote 2

They rounded the edges off for season two, but I actually think that was for the best. It's not just about the 80s, it's done in an 80s TV format and got some stuff we've been missing: lightness and fun, montages, short running length that leaves you wanting more rather than being annoyed at the bloat. All round, great entertainment :)

My favourite episode was the TV show episode. It really was very well observed from the source material and very well put together. I hope they get a third series.

It inspired me to find my VHS collection fervently bought from HMV during my teenage years in 1990/91. Not sure why they were a 15 or an 18. Those terrible Kate Nash raps really are true to the original.

MouqkrZ.jpg

• Upvote 3

I'm midway through Season 2 and while I don't think it's as different from Season 1 as some people have claimed, it's definitely found its groove and continues to be enjoyable fluff, just without the occasional misfires of Season 1.

I'm not entirely sure this has found its audience though, which is a shame. Compared to many other Netflix originals the online buzz around it seems pretty low. It's better than 98% of other Netflix Original output so hopefully it'll get renewed for another season.

I’d be amazed if this doesn’t get another season. It’s fantastic.

I got a bit teary-eyed at the last episode, I can’t remember which bit though. Maybe when Britannica came in on a horse.

Still no GLOW t-shirt.

i bloody love this show - was a bit late getting to season 2 but just saw the episode that 

was presented as a glow episode on telly back then (with zoya’s twin)

, and it was brilliant!

overall the show has a great mix of modern production value and 80s nostalgia and irony, the wrestling storylines and characters are great, and despite the odd occasion where it gets a bit too girly-sentimental for my taste, it tends to nail the balancing act it treads.

best bit for me is alison brie’s comic delivery as

zoya/olga

, which never fails to crack me up!

Yeah, the Zoya character is fantastic, and Brie's obviously having a whale of a time being let off the leash.

It's definitely got the same trajectory as Orange is the New Black so far, with it starting more gritty then smoothing out into a (classy) soap opera.

Just a couple of episodes left and the trajectory of the second season has surprised me a little. Traditionally with these type of shows the first season is quite focused and the second/third seasons start to flesh out the secondary characters a lot more. Orange is the New Black is a perfect example of this, with the first season predominantly focusing on Piper and a few secondary characters and then the second season really broadening the scope and diving into a lot more of the peripheral characters.

This seems to have done the opposite. I felt like I saw substantially more of many of the secondary characters in the first season, and that this season has really honed in on Ruth, Debbie, Sam and Bash, oddly, though I do like his character. With the possible exception of the welfare queen character who got some nice moments, I feel like the other wrestlers have been sidelined a little compared to season 1. Maybe it changes a bit in the last couple of episodes as it feels like they're tying up the Ruth/Debbie storyline and will need to lay the foundation for new arcs going forward.

A couple of times its veered very close to some Orange Is The New Black style shite (I'm thinking the 'hilarious' hospital montage bit)

Yeah the hospital montage was by far the worst bit of the season, just really lame.