rllmuk

10 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I just watched the first episode and it's pretty good, I like it but the nudity and the language (the word c*nt) just seemed out of place and I don't really understand what it added to the actual narrative. It seemed a little shoe-horned in. 

It feels like that even more when you watch the rest of the series past episode 2 when apart from the odd flash there isn't much more nudity and the language, while still filthy in places, seems to fit into the dialogue rather than jammed in sideways. 

Liked the first episode, loathed the second. The last 10 minutes or so was so badly misjudged. Will stick with it based on the comments here though. 

This is probably a really stupid question, but I never watched Orange Is The New Black as for some reason it just didn't appeal to me. However I really loved Glow, so I guess I should give OITNB a try? Does it have a similar feel/humour? 

1 minute ago, Bazjam said:

This is probably a really stupid question, but I never watched Orange Is The New Black as for some reason it just didn't appeal to me. However I really loved Glow, so I guess I should give OITNB a try? Does it have a similar feel/humour? 

Not really, it kind of is a stupid question :)

There'll be similarities sure but ones you could draw from most of the other Netflix dramas out there, nothing particularly unique to those shows. The actual plot is vastly different so I'm not really sure why you're comparing them, other than, you know, women fighting, which is a very shallow comparison because a prison fight is also very different from staged wrestling.

• Downvote 1

I liked it, but I don't think it's great. Lulled a bit but we found it quite easy to keep watching episodes. I think it could get good as it develops the characters a bit. I did struggle with Alison Brie's character. We just hated her, but maybe that's interesting: it appears she's going to be the protagonist but she's just repeatedly annoying and naive in various situations, and is indeed a homewrecker. It's a really shitty thing she did, but what I struggle with is I feel like the writers want us to like and forgive her, and I just didn't really, at best just occasionally felt pity for her. 

Marc Maron was great though, and there's enough amusing bits to keep with it but mostly this is because it's quite short and digestible I guess. I'm not sure it quite knows what it wants to be yet, and I was rather hoping it'd be a bit more ridiculous and camp given the subject matter and promo shots on Netflix itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

Not really, it kind of is a stupid question :)

There'll be similarities sure but ones you could draw from most of the other Netflix dramas out there, nothing particularly unique to those shows. The actual plot is vastly different so I'm not really sure why you're comparing them, other than, you know, women fighting, which is a very shallow comparison because a prison fight is also very different from staged wrestling.

I'm comparing them because they both have the same show runner and creative team behind them.

Yeah, and you're correct to, in a way. The way the characters are written and how they talk to each other felt very similar to Orange is the New Black to me. Though the subject matter does enough to make them feel suitably different.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

Yeah, and you're correct to, in a way. The way the characters are written and how they talk to each other felt very similar to Orange is the New Black to me. Though the subject matter does enough to make them feel suitably different.

I could imagine that when we're in season 5 of GLOW when they run out of wrestling storylines they just start going on backstories of different characters. That actually made OITNB feel a bit tiresome to me sometimes - like nothing was ever really moving forward, but I didn't really get past S2, and I hear it's a good show after that still. 

I thought this was terrific – a perfect light, fun counterpoint to the more serious stuff we're watching at the moment (Handmaids Tale, House of Cards). 

I missed the first couple of episodes my wife watched while i was working late so I didn't have an "Episode 2 backlash" moment. 

Hope they can manage another season, but perhaps not a third..

Binge watched the whole show yesterday and loved it. I found ep. 2 vulgar which is was and I saw that as being the point, its a show about a show about women and vulgarity, but wasn't put off by it and found it much less uncomfortable then the below but not having been directly effected by either may be why.

Spoiler

The abortion scene was very real in comparison. 

The comparison I'd make to OTNB is that both shows take an ensemble of very different and often flawed women and put them in an environment together which is very unusual on TV and it's very enjoyable.

Not to mention the racial stereotypes, lead character who isn't sure if she should be there and who thinks she's better than the others, bitch fights, sleazy yet empathetic male leads, etc.?

i did like it a lot mind!

I thought this was okay. Fun enough, but as with OITNB some kind of bizarre plot and character choices.

Spoiler

It was borderline surreal that Mark Maron's character accompanied Alison Brie to get her abortion. How are they possibly that close at that point? Did Brie seriously only have one friend, the lady who's husband she slept with?

I don't agree dude, Sam already had an experience with Cherry having a miscarriage right? I think he's not entirely unsympathetic. And there were signs that when he did use that sharp tongue to lash Ruth for cheating on her best friend, she would outwardly crumble. When that happened he'd reign himself in and apologize (from what I saw) 

It is fun though, your right. Lighthearted, uplifting and I'm not getting stressed/anxious waiting for some poor guy to get screwed over. I've not got it in me to catch the new House of Cards and I'm not excited about GoT(wtf?!) either.

Really enjoying this, but have to agree with people about episode 2. People take the piss out of trigger warnings, but that episode badly needed one - I thought it was funny and so did my partner, but someone who'd actually suffered from a miscarriage would have been traumatised. They didn't manage the tone very well.

Finished this a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. Largely complete fluff, of course, but very easy to watch. 

In some respects it did just feel like an extended set up for season 2 rather than a satisfying season in its own right though. It was very, very low stakes and while that made it easy to watch the second season probably needs a little more conflict and meat in the way of character arcs (outside of the two mains) to remain interesting. 

10 hours ago, K said:

Really enjoying this, but have to agree with people about episode 2. People take the piss out of trigger warnings, but that episode badly needed one - I thought it was funny and so did my partner, but someone who'd actually suffered from a miscarriage would have been traumatised. They didn't manage the tone very well.

The woman who plays Machu Picchu was on Marc Maron's podcast and she mentioned she had personally suffered from a miscarriage. Kinda awkward, to say the least, though she did go on to say it didn't personally offend her, Whether that's true or not, I guess is a different matter.

The end of episode 2 seems even worse to me in hindsight because it is so completely out of place. There is nothing even remotely close to being that bad taste and mean spirited either before or after. In fact it's generally a very amiable show indeed. 

I think it could have worked in a darker, meaner show (think Always Sunny or anything from the League of Gentleman guys) but in this show it's like biting into a lemon in the middle of a ball of cotton candy. 

Just finished this, I thought it was so so until the final few episodes and then it got great, especially the final episode, a big smile on my face whilst watching.

I started watching this, seen the first three eps. It’s curious, isn’t it? It’s around 50% fantastic, and 50% utter shite...and very watchable for that.

I’m thrilled it’s based on a real thing though, did I read there is a doc on Netflix too?