IGNORED

GLOW

DukeOfEarlsfield

It's pretty good. I've had the DVD for a few years. But I'm looking at it through the lens of someone who watched the wrestling at the time.

It doesn't really have loads in common with the show due to the fact that, as I said earlier, they don't seem to be able to use the actual characters. And, like a lot of wrestling documentaries, it's a bit tragic in places.

All wresting stories are tragedies right? I don't think I've seen many where there hasn't been a talking head of someone saying "The only thing that was bigger than them, was their huge heart ... which gave out at the age of 32" 

Jenji Kohan is on a recent Maron podcast, she doesnt do many interviews but comes across so well, very funny and very smart.

I never realised her background, father was a bit of a TV mogul and brother was co-creator of Will & Grace. She'd been around for years writing on a number of famous shows too.

She did explain how she never plans a story beyond a current season for her shows, which explains a lot about how they tie themselves into knots and the quality drops.

Yeah I finished it and want it done there. I was having a think about this. How many shows have a great idea and first series then ruin the goodwill by doing more because it's a hit? More shows should just be one series and done. This show would be ideal for this.

Had a crush on Betty Gilpin since Nurse Jackie. Great to see her become this shows MVP by the series end.

Finished it. Watched them all in three sittings as I enjoyed it so much. I laughed loads, and as pointed out earlier Maron really is superb in this. It may be the role he was born to play but he nails it. Both sleazy and empathetic. 

Aye, also watched it in 3 sittings and I loved it. Also don't think there needs to be another season as it was perfect as a self contained one season show. Though I won't be annoyed if it was to get a second series too much.

Also didn't realise until looking it up afterwards that the English girl is played by Kate Nash. New I recognised her/her voice. 

On 2017-6-26 at 14:03, JPickford said:

Right.  I had no idea. Doh.

Most of the personas are rejigged versions of real characters from the old Glow. Watch this.

"Palestinia" for fucks sake :lol:

I just watched the first episode and it's pretty good, I like it but the nudity and the language (the word c*nt) just seemed out of place and I don't really understand what it added to the actual narrative. It seemed a little shoe-horned in. I expect I'll watch the rest. Decent production values again from Netflix too. I've only seen the first episode and know very little about this and I didn't even know who Alison Brie is and I don't recognise any of the other cast members. Is the wrestling trainer an actual wrestler? He looks too small but seems like he's a wrestler. I did watch WWF (before it became WWE) but most of those people are either dead or really old so I have no idea.  

10 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I just watched the first episode and it's pretty good, I like it but the nudity and the language (the word c*nt) just seemed out of place and I don't really understand what it added to the actual narrative. It seemed a little shoe-horned in. 

It feels like that even more when you watch the rest of the series past episode 2 when apart from the odd flash there isn't much more nudity and the language, while still filthy in places, seems to fit into the dialogue rather than jammed in sideways.