Dredd: Mega City One

On 01/08/2020 at 10:00, SpagMasterSwift said:

The block war bit was great, but yeah it’s a tough one. The ABC Warrior looked pretty dope...

One of my favourite film lines ever is "These blocks... are under... arrest!"

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

I remember finding a copy of the Judge Dredd the Movie game for the GameBoy for something like £3 without a case in the bargain bin at a Woolworths and being incredibly excited at this mega bargain. Review: It was fucking shit.

I used to like the Game Boy one when I couldn't play the SNES version. I had one of those monstrous front-lit magnifiers though, so I could actually see what was going on. One of the worst GB games for clearly separating characters and backgrounds as I recall- they went for detail but the palette was too similar, so it was occasionally an indistinct green mush.

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Looks like Rebellion are looking at using the same tech that was used on The Mandalorian for filming this, which will help massively with creating an iconic Mega City One.

Oh that's sick

Does seem like the perfect match for a TV show that needs to film episodes quickly to make the most of their budget, but also requires a lot of SFX work. I thought these LED walls were still incredibly expensive though? Good to see a UK-based studio getting this kind of heavy investment, shows the kind of ambition they have.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Oh that's sick

Does seem like the perfect match for a TV show that needs to film episodes quickly but requires a lot of SFX work. I thought these LED walls were still incredibly expensive though? Good to see a UK-based studio getting this kind of heavy investment, shows the kind of ambition they have.

I think they are insanely expensive but once you've invested in it then the future overheads for SFX work are minimal compared to the previous greenscreen costs. (He says, having absolutely no experience with any of this but having watched the Behind the Scenes stuff on The Madalorian)

On 31/07/2020 at 22:36, cassidy said:

Urban as Dredd and Sly as Rico I guess is their plan there? 

There's one movie I will never defend nor find a single saving grace and that's the 90's dredd. 

Saw it once in cinema never watching it again. 

I fucking love Judge Dredd and Stallones performance in particular 

13 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I think they are insanely expensive but once you've invested in it then the future overheads for SFX work are minimal compared to the previous greenscreen costs. (He says, having absolutely no experience with any of this but having watched the Behind the Scenes stuff on The Madalorian)

You can also hire it all rather than buy it, but if you do buy it and you’ve just bought a massive studio space that could be a very lucrative way to make money off others.

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

You can also hire it all rather than buy it, but if you do buy it and you’ve just bought a massive studio space that could be a very lucrative way to make money off others.

You'd expect that over time the cost of setup and running virtual sets and building small physical set pieces would be cheaper than full sets+vfx extentions.  It might also have less rigging costs as well, since much of lighting can be dialed into led panels.

Westworld did a cheaper version of using LED panels for some office scenes.  They still build a set but had a panel outside the 'window'. Since the view does the realtime perspective shift thing, the panel can be much closer to the window than if you were using a translight.  It made the set much smaller/cheaper/more flexible.