Dredd: Mega City One

I'd say Alex Garland was the single most important part of the film's success. Without him writing or directing, I'm much less interested in a Dredd TV series, and much less confident that it'll be any good.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, JPickford said:

Not sure why they even want him.  He's not particularly special in the role and it sounds like he'd be calling the shots about what Dredd does.

Of all the wrong statemenst in the history of wrong statements this is the most wrong.

• Upvote 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2018 at 22:16, jerellis1 said:

In that article Karl Urban said:

“Their idea for Mega-City One is was basically to build the show around more rookie judges and young, new judges and Dredd would come in and out and I said that I’ll do it, but it has to be done in a meaningful way. I can’t just come on and grunt and pull faces, there has to be a story there for him. There has to be a kind of little arc and a story we are trying to tell. So, we will see what they do.”

So basically Dredd is little more than a reoccurring cameo? 

I get it why this works in Marvel films (e.g. Tony Stark turning up in other films) because the characters are already well established in their own films. But making Dredd a cameo when he's only been in one film (when it's him you really want to watch) sounds a bit daft. Or cheap.

• Upvote 2
  • 10 months later...

The talk of Eisenhorn made me think of this again.

Looks as though Rebellion have built their own studio for this and the Rogue Trooper film. First out the gate is 'School's Out Forever', an adaption of the Afterblight Chronicles. Which I know nothing about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaddon_Books#The_Afterblight_Chronicles

Still nothing on the Dredd TV series itself, the official twitter account has just been re-tweeting 2000AD stuff for the past year.

I guess they still haven't got a network to buy into it ?

• 1 year later...

Urban as Dredd and Sly as Rico I guess is their plan there? 

There's one movie I will never defend nor find a single saving grace and that's the 90's dredd. 

Saw it once in cinema never watching it again. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, cassidy said:

Urban as Dredd and Sly as Rico I guess is their plan there? 

There's one movie I will ever defend nor find a single saving grace and that's the 90's dredd. 

The 90s version of Mega City One was good though. I used to spend hours reading the "making of" book about it.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, cubik said:

Aren't Joe and Rico the same age though? It'll need some good CGI to make Sly look young.

Not if Rico has been augmented and spent years on Titan.

2 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Not if Rico has been augmented and spent years on Titan.

spacer.png

Still looks better than Stallone.

They'd be better using Sly as Fargo.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, cubik said:

spacer.png

Still looks better than Stallone.

They'd be better using Sly as Fargo.

I'd rather he just fuck off from the character tbh. 

1 minute ago, Silent Runner said:

In that interview the guy from Rebellion says 'we even joked that it would be quite fun to get Stallone back'. That doesn't really feel like he's about to sign a contract. 

Yeah, I didn't get the impression it was anything other than a throwaway remark.

11 hours ago, cassidy said:There's one movie I will never defend nor find a single saving grace and that's the 90's dredd. 

The block war bit was great, but yeah it’s a tough one. The ABC Warrior looked pretty dope...

• Upvote 1

I have a huge soft spot for the Stallone movie. I was a big fan of the comic at the time so to see that world up on the big screens was really rewarding. I’m sure I hissed and booed when the helmet came off but that such a high budget Hollywood movie got made with such a big star based on an indie U.K. comic book property was pretty much a miracle. 

Come to think of it, I’d love to know how that came about!

• Upvote 7
On 01/08/2020 at 22:23, Popo said:

I have a huge soft spot for the Stallone movie. I was a big fan of the comic at the time so to see that world up on the big screens was really rewarding.

Same. 

You'd think it'd personally ruined cassidy's childhood.

Obviously the 2012 Dredd movie is superior in every way, but I'm still quite fond of the Stallone version and able to separate it from other iterations of the character. 

I doubt Stallone will go near the character again, he once said “The biggest mistake I ever made was with the sloppy handling of Judge Dredd”.

44 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Same. 

You'd think it'd personally ruined cassidy's childhood.

Obviously the 2012 Dredd movie is superior in every way, but I'm still quite fond of the Stallone version and able to separate it from other iterations of the character. 

I doubt Stallone will go near the character again, he once said “The biggest mistake I ever made was with the sloppy handling of Judge Dredd”.

I’ve just got opinions and clearly different to yours is all. 

However I do think It did two things right Hammerstein being used as a model for one of the Robots and Mean machine.  2000ad and Dredd was a big part of my childhood and I still love the Dredd characters and world, so forgive me for not enjoying a shit version of it and never revisiting it. 

• Upvote 1

I remember finding a copy of the Judge Dredd the Movie game for the GameBoy for something like £3 without a case in the bargain bin at a Woolworths and being incredibly excited at this mega bargain. Review: It was fucking shit.

• Upvote 3

Was the SNES game the same as the Megadrive one? That was good fun, I loved the sprites and general art direction. Could never figure out how to arrest, rather than kill, the perps though. 

Looks like Rebellion are looking at using the same tech that was used on The Mandalorian for filming this, which will help massively with creating an iconic Mega City One. 

While I love the 2012 version with Urban, the actual look of the Stallone Mega City One is still far superior.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Popo said:

Was the SNES game the same as the Megadrive one? That was good fun, I loved the sprites and general art direction. Could never figure out how to arrest, rather than kill, the perps though. 

I think they were the same but the megadrive version was meant to be worse, due to dodgy controls and worse graphics, as I recall.