Harsin

The Handmaids Tale - Season 2 Hulu/Sunday Night C4

Dunno about a load of shit. With Serena she saw an appetite for rebellion, and after having the baby she wanted to save her other daughter. She's been through a lot of shit and wants to do something about it. She doesn't want her other daughter growing up there. 

Good ending I thought. Now if she ends up back with the Waterfords again I will smash everything. 

• Upvote 1

That shot where she looks back up at the camera. Straight up Jedi! :D

Spoiler

But yeah I mean what else is she gonna' do, come back home (Canada) to her husband, hand over the new baby she's had with someone else who she's also in love with and tell him his own daughter is still back in Gilead? Overwrought with guilt for the rest of her life. Eh? 

I’m still at CH4 pace and finding it all really tedious. The obvious question is why am I still watching I suppose.

There is too much ‘slow burn’ with tv shows these days. The TV companies have got carried away trying to stretch things out.

On 13/07/2018 at 13:22, El Spatula said:

Dunno about a load of shit. With Serena she saw an appetite for rebellion, and after having the baby she wanted to save her other daughter. She's been through a lot of shit and wants to do something about it. She doesn't want her other daughter growing up there. 

Good ending I thought. Now if she ends up back with the Waterfords again I will smash everything. 

Exactly. Her decision made complete sense to me. The whole episode was about the horrific life of females in Gilead; she couldn't just fuck off with her baby and leave her first born trapped inside.

I've only just finished this. Don't think it was as good as series one, but still good. Felt like it dragged a bit in the middle but finished pretty strongly. There were bits that felt a bit off in the various characters' behaviours and decision making at times, but all forgiven for having Bradley Whitford rock up.

We watched the whole of season 2 last week. Perhaps it was because we blasted through two or three episodes a night, it didn't seem to drag at all. I thought it was just as good as S1, which I was surprised by, and I'd be curious to know how much input Margaret Atwood had into the overall story (there were still one or two pieces of dialogue or voiceover that were lifted straight from the book).

The best thing about it all was

Serena's character development as she starts to perceive the cage she's made for herself (and for every other woman, but she's not quite ready for empathy yet).

And somehow Elizabeth Moss can say more in one surly look than most actors manage in a paragraph of dialogue.

After the first series I said it was possibly my favourite TV show of all time, but I've subsequently seen the Leftovers which has stolen the top spot. Ann Dowd knows how to pick roles.

• Upvote 1