rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gossi the dog

How "Mint" is a Mint condition disc based retro game at CEX?

I notice that CEX have started selling Playstation games. I have a couple of games that seemingly are selling for stupid prices that I'd be interested in trading in. Once you factor in eBay, Paypal and postage costs the voucher price would exceed the net cash I'd raise and mitigate any counterparty risk from the buyer.

However, they were purchased new from GAME a good 15+ years ago when they used to gut the games, put the box on display and shove the disc in the manual in a drawer. So the discs have a couple tiny marks on them. It's what I'd regard as near Mint, and generally in the past when buying from eBay is what I'd expect when people stated a game that was in Mint condition.

So has anyone had any experience in buying or selling mint condition stuff from/to CEX?

From my experiences unless a game/item is 100% as new ans complete, it wont be classes as Mint / A grade for buying in.  

Of course anything that is near mint is sold as A grade by them even if they give you a grade B valuation for it.

Scheming b@stards that they are. 

• Upvote 2

Yep exactly that.  If they can find a mark or scratch they will instantly reduce it to a Grade B or worse.  If they find that there is a crease in a manual, fading to the cover, whatever else that can mark it down for, they will.  It has to be in 100% tip top condition and complete as new with no cosmetic imperfections for them to even consider it as Grade A / Mint.  Its why they never quote Grade A prices when you ask them. ( A current CEX worker told me that)

Purely out of interest, what games are they and what are they offering?  PM me if you would prefer not to tell the world.

I sold 3 dreamcast games today (all graded 'mint').  Condition was very good to excellent in my opinion. Light scratches on the box a few very light scratches on the discs and cases not cracked / hinges not broken (they checked).  Think the games were older than the young guy doing the checking!

having traded in a few 'mint' dreamcast games, they flick through the booklet, check that the disc isn't in bad shape and check the case for damage.

none of what I traded, I would class as mint.

ive heard stories of mint snes and n64 games turning up with stickers on the box, missing manuals and all sorts. You can obviously send them back, but it's a right hassle. I find cex useful for trading in retro as they offer great prices, but I'd be wary about buying online from them.

17 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

@dvdx2 aha thanks. It sounds like it depends which store/person serves you.

Let us know how you get on! Just hope you don't get a super anal /OCD ridden collector behind the till, doing the angular light test for micro scratches!

1 hour ago, dvdx2 said:

Let us know how you get on! Just hope you don't get a super anal /OCD ridden collector behind the till, doing the angular light test for micro scratches!

That would be me! Unless the disc is flawless then it shouldn't be called mint as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, strider said:

ive heard stories of mint snes and n64 games turning up with stickers on the box, missing manuals and all sorts. You can obviously send them back, but it's a right hassle. I find cex useful for trading in retro as they offer great prices, but I'd be wary about buying online from them.

Yeah. I don't really like buying online from them, and will generally only buy stuff if it's way cheaper than from anywhere else.  Their pricing for less common stuff is often all over the place. However, I've ended up with items in both amazing condition (Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii in proper mint condition) whilst at the other end of the scale, games missing the manual and in a case with a photo copied cover. 

It's a real lottery. I didn't mind when I was paying 50 pence for a game but it's really tense when you are waiting for a twenty pound plus title to turn up.

3 hours ago, carlospie said:

Can’t believe you sold suikoden 2. Shame on you 

That hasn't yet been sold. It was only Megaman X6 that I offloaded. Having said that there's a good chance Suikoden II will be sold at some point this year along with almost all my PAL PS1 games. I'll be retaining the US version.

Bought in a DC game to a local cex the other day and had a rather unpleasant experience. Lovely mint copy. Sales assistant gave me a price for a regular copy and I asked him about getting extra for it being mint.  So he checked the computer and proceeded to check the game case for cracks etc, fingered through every page in the booklet and inspected the disc ( this took about 3 mins). Fair enough I thought. ‘Oh the demo disc is missing’, (you know the way dc cases have space for 2 discs....He then proceeded to confer with his colleague and a trainee.

’it game needs to be sealed to be mint’ the trainee said.....right.....I would really be bringing it into cex if it was sealed.....

Manager said to the other sales assistant- is the disc mint , is it blah, is it blah blah. So this went on for few more mins and I ended up telling them not to bother. And walked out.  Needless to say, I won’t be back to that branch.

Seems they really don’t have a clue about the grading and better nick stuff will be sold elsewhere from now on.

14 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Bought in a DC game to a local cex the other day and had a rather unpleasant experience. Lovely mint copy. Sales assistant gave me a price for a regular copy and I asked him about getting extra for it being mint.  So he checked the computer and proceeded to check the game case for cracks etc, fingered through every page in the booklet and inspected the disc ( this took about 3 mins). Fair enough I thought. ‘Oh the demo disc is missing’, (you know the way dc cases have space for 2 discs....He then proceeded to confer with his colleague and a trainee.

’it game needs to be sealed to be mint’ the trainee said.....right.....I would really be bringing it into cex if it was sealed.....

Manager said to the other sales assistant- is the disc mint , is it blah, is it blah blah. So this went on for few more mins and I ended up telling them not to bother. And walked out.  Needless to say, I won’t be back to that branch.

Seems they really don’t have a clue about the grading and better nick stuff will be sold elsewhere from now on.

Yeah, the CEX staff in Dundee are absolutely horrible. Had a guy in there (think his nametag said 'wolf' fucking lol) who was super snappy about a hard drive i was buying. Started arguing with me cause I searched on the site for a specific HD, went in store to buy it, and he was like "well if you cant point to the one on display than i cant sell you anything" , asked him to search for it cause it said it's in stock, he started walking away i said 'thanks' he turns round and snaps 'WHAT DID YOU SAY' i said 'thanks' and then he walked off, and after a fellow employee helped him he got me the hard drive. I asked him had it been checked for errors and he was like "well yeah we wouldnt sell it if it didnt work". Turns out it didnt work and i had to take a trip back to exchange it. Havent seen that dude again, seemed like he was hopped up on something

CEX Aberdeen is also terrible, rules totally vary between stores because no one knows what the fuck is going on. Also got sold  'MINT' gameboy whose screen literally fell off when i got home. Cash Gen is shady but at least they know theyre shady lol

To be fair to CEX staff they have to deal with the absolute dregs of any town that they find themselves in. From my own queuing experiences every other transaction the customer is getting shirty with them about something. The staff often look weary and brow beaten at having to deal with another customers shit. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had quite a bit of physical violence in some stores if the clientele are predisposed to that sort of thing as well. 

(Not putting you lot into that bracket of course!)

Not saying they’re not at fault at all with their attitude and policies at times but I always feel sorry for retail staff. Also, they’ve clearly had a memo about taking older games and how ‘grading’ works but the individual staff aren’t experts and they won’t have spent money on proper training.