rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
NEG

New 2DS XL - July 28th - £135

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/04/new_nintendo_2ds_xl_announced_releases_28th_july

Nice for newcomers and those that don't care for 3D, and its nice that they've learned from design flaws of prior models (micro sd easily accessable and even a cover this time!) but ultimately to me it's still an inferior product. 

Slimmer New 3DS XL and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 

Glad to see another proper  handheld, gives hope a next gen one is still coming along the way. You know, ones that are kid friendly and can put in your pocket. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Looks pretty good. If it's cheap enough I may pick one up as there are years worth of 3DS game releases that I've not played. It may be a bit unreasonable to think but I do wish I could just skip it and play it all on the Switch instead. 

There's no UK price as yet (Nintendo does not set hardware prices in the region), although as a guideline it will sell in the US for $149, which is about £115.

Black + Turquoise looks nice.

149336075535.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, rafaqat said:

Hmmm, so much for having all their dev resources focused on one console.  

They would be stupid to burn that bridge until Switch support is more certain. And putting out a new hardware SKU is no indication of where they're putting their dev resources - you can bet third parties will be supporting 3DS for years to come. 

And this is targeting the parents who want to buy a handheld or two for their kids without buying two $300 switches. 

I think the hardware looks great. If I had any interest in a 2/3DS, this would be the one I'd go for. 

• Upvote 1

I remember when the 3DS came out and a poster, let's call him Blott, told us all confidently that after playing a game in 3D we'd all struggle to go back to playing games in plain old 2D ever again.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Radish said:

Looks pretty good. If it's cheap enough I may pick one up as there are years worth of 3DS game releases that I've not played.

Very much this. I've got the last 2 gens of Pokemon to catch up on, Sega Classics, Picross 3D 2, 3rd Boxboy and loads of RPG's and cheap titles in general when and where I can find them. 

DS and 3DS is a fantastic line of handhelds and its baffling people demanding it to die.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Also remember that 3DS games have very long sales tails. Look at Mario Kart 7 and New Super Mario Bros 2 - still selling well and they're ancient now. Also Animal Crossing (with the massive free update) and Tomodachi Life. People will pick up a New 2DS and then some older, but still effectively current, titles.

It's not like other consoles where most games drop off the radar after 3-4 months (or days, if they're Sega games).

• Upvote 3

Underwhelmed.

Shame they didn't keep the ergonomic slate form of the regular 2DS, which for me is easily the most naturally comfy handheld ever made. Squeezing some N3DS guts and XL screens into a slightly bigger slab would've been a masterstroke. The speakers also face downwards.

23 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I like the look of that orange one. Was the resolution any better for the New 3DS/2DS btw or nah? 

They're all the same resolution.

• Upvote 2

I do wonder what the screen will be like with this. One assumes similar to the original 2DS. 

I've noticed that when you turn the 3D off on a 3DS it essentially turns off half the screen! It's interlaced in 3D mode and when you switch it to 2D, half the lines are turned off resulting in black scanlines! Stereoscopic fields I guess! 

It would be awesome if they line doubled for this iteration.  

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Hmmm, so much for having all their dev resources focused on one console.  

No one at Nintendo ever said that. Also even if production for 3DS games are winding down, it's commendable that they're creating a new version of the hardware to support the pre-existing software library. 3DS is a popular platform. also, I'm just now presuming that you just post without ever thinking.   

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I'd have one.

On a side note I really do wish they'd stuck with full-size SD cards. This obsesseion with the fiddly, easily-lost, tiny micro SD cards has to end!

I'm getting one, always regretted selling my XL and always played with the 3D off anyway.

Two questions, will it play the games that only played on the "New 3DS" models and someone mentioned above that Animal Crossing had a huge free update.......When ?

15 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I'd have one.

On a side note I really do wish they'd stuck with full-size SD cards. This obsesseion with the fiddly, easily-lost, tiny micro SD cards has to end!

Have you ever tried fitting a full-sized SD into a MicroSD adapter? Bits of plastic go everywhere. And it doesn't work anymore.

9 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I'm getting one, always regretted selling my XL and always played with the 3D off anyway.

Two questions, will it play the games that only played on the "New 3DS" models and someone mentioned above that Animal Crossing had a huge free update.......When ?

Animal Crossing received the update in November 2016.

• Upvote 1

Another thing to consider, depending on screen quality being any better: best way to play DS games going forward. As all 3DS iterations have had slight differences in the way DS games are displayed.

Basically trying to find any excuse to buy one. :wacko:

Just now, Mr Do 71 said:

Animal Crossing received the update in November 2016.

Holy cow ! Need to dig out my old Animal Crossing cart ready for this coming out then, did it add much ?

14 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

1)Yes it can play all games out of 3DS's game library. Including New 3DS exclusive titles. It also means you'll have access to the SNES virtual console.

2)AC had its big update somewhere around october last year. Added amiibo support along with a boatload more content.

I think this looks excellent. I was looking into selling my old 2DS anyway and i'll probably sell my New 3DS XL with this on the way. Looks fab. I just want to know if we get an improved battery life.