The Boxing Thread

Yes, I bought the film on Blu-Ray and it's excellent. It paints a very rounded picture of the man; such a waste of talent.

Speaking of Tyson, did anybody catch his (all too short) analysis on Sky's build up to the farce at the weekend? He was brilliant to listen to, and it's clear that he is packed with knowledge. If you ever catch interviews of him talking about boxing in general, rather than his career, it's easy to see just how knowledgeable he is. I think he'd make a fantastic trainer, if only he could find the discipline. The guy has probably watched as many fights as any historian out there. It's great to hear him talk about the old school guys because he clearly knows what he's talking about; he just goes into such detail. I wish HBO would give him a spot as an analyst because his short chat with Jonny Nelson was so much more insightful and interesting than anything any of the others have offered up over the years. It was great to see him looking healthy again as well.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Tyson, did anybody catch his (all too short) analysis on Sky's build up to the farce at the weekend? He was brilliant to listen to, and it's clear that he is packed with knowledge. If you ever catch interviews of him talking about boxing in general, rather than his career, it's easy to see just how knowledgeable he is. I think he'd make a fantastic trainer, if only he could find the discipline. The guy has probably watched as many fights as any historian out there. It's great to hear him talk about the old school guys because he clearly knows what he's talking about; he just goes into such detail. I wish HBO would give him a spot as an analyst because his short chat with Jonny Nelson was so much more insightful and interesting than anything any of the others have offered up over the years. It was great to see him looking healthy again as well.

He shows up briefly on S12 of The Ultimate Fighter. Which is nice.

He's always been very knowledgeable about boxing/boxers though hasn't he, especially the oldschool fighters. He used to watch through Bill Caytons massive collection of fight films, i agree that he would make a great analyst and it would be interesting to see what he could do as a trainer.

There is a great old interview he did with Harry Carpenter from the late 80's. They just sit around for about an hour looking at old fight footage like Dempsey vs Tunney, with Tyson giving interesting analysis throughout. He is in quiet, respectful mode and Carpenter is having a great time. Its a cracking interview. I might have to dig the video out as I have not seen it in years.

He would be really good on HBO or Showtime but I think his personal problems and out of ring antics have killed any chance of that.

Fuck me, they are going to have to go back and watch every single Ali fight then. He wouldn't shut up when he was in the ring.

As for the suggestion that Audley took a dive, well, its laughable. Yes, he probably froze and there was fuck all in the way of offence from him, but there is so much venom in those punches from Haye in the third round.

That was an awesome knockout, a la Hatton being destroyed by Pacman. He landed several of those same shots during the short fight, from the interview afterwards he knew exactly what he was doing and knew that Williams made mistakes leaving him open to that punch.

Martinez could be up for fighter and KO of the year, he nearly landed excactly the same punch only moments before. Williams has thrown defence out the window more than usual recently seemingly to be as fan friendly as possible and it's bit him in the ass this time.

There is a great old interview he did with Harry Carpenter from the late 80's. They just sit around for about an hour looking at old fight footage like Dempsey vs Tunney, with Tyson giving interesting analysis throughout. He is in quiet, respectful mode and Carpenter is having a great time. Its a cracking interview. I might have to dig the video out as I have not seen it in years.

He would be really good on HBO or Showtime but I think his personal problems and out of ring antics have killed any chance of that.

Was just going to mention the Carpenter interview. It's a great watch for any boxing fan. Tyson is a true boxing professor.

As for Martinez/Williams, makes Kelly Pavlik look a lot better eh? Couldn't see out of one eye for four rounds, weight drained into the floor, and still took everything Martinez threw at him. Another fighter the drink has ruined.

Indeed with Tyson. When he talks about boxing and stays on topic, it's quite amazing how deep his knowledge of the sport his. Obviously he had a good schooling with Cus D'Amato so it probably shouldnt be a surprise, but it would be interesting to see Iron Mike get a regular gig in the media.

This one has really surprised me. I really didn't think Froch would have the required discipline to pull it off. Props to him.

Next up in the Super Six for Froch is, er, Arthur Abraham!

I'm not so sure. I think Abraham will withdraw from the tournament now. It's clear he won't win this thing now, and carrying on will only damage his career further.

Was just going to mention the Carpenter interview. It's a great watch for any boxing fan. Tyson is a true boxing professor.

As for Martinez/Williams, makes Kelly Pavlik look a lot better eh? Couldn't see out of one eye for four rounds, weight drained into the floor, and still took everything Martinez threw at him. Another fighter the drink has ruined.

I used to have it on video. I think it is called Tyson and the Heavyweights. He also talks about one or two lighter boxers as well. It seems to be dated about 1987 - certainly the Bruno fight had not taken place yet, and neither did negotiations seem to be in progress for it from what Tyson says about Bruno (again, polite, respectful stuff). Add me to the people recommending this documentary. If you are interested in boxing, it's fascinating.

Best performance of his career probably. Abraham had 30 seconds at the start of the twelfth when he was looking for a KO, but that was it. Judges scored it 120-108, 120-08, 119-109 Froch.

Next up in the Super Six for Froch is, er, Arthur Abraham!

Johnson is up next for Froch, great performance. Did anyone catch Marquez v Katsidis, great fight in fact fight of the year.

I was in Helsinki at the weekend, where Froch fought, not that I saw the fight. There were quite a few fans it seemed over there but they were incredibly annoying. They just kept on singing in the one sports bar we were in, 'he's small, he's gay, he takes it every way, ABRAHAM ABRAHAM'. Like about 8 hrs before the fight when I was watching the Villa get tonked. Anyway, when you've heard it for the 50th time it starts to piss you off. So I pointed out to this one northern lad that if he was actually gay he'd probably only take it the one way and then he threatened to kick the fuck out of me.