The Boxing Thread

I know, but it was fantastic support and it should be applauded whether it was to their taste or not. Can you imagine 20,000+ American fans traveling over here, or anywhere else for a fight? Not a chance and they've got some very popular fighters including the 'face' of the sport and the pound-for-pound greatest of a generation or three. They want all of the big fights to come to them, then they complain if there's too much noise or if the other guy's fans dare say their guy could win. Self righteous, arrogant toss-pots. :lol:

The above obviously only applies to the ones that have been complaining about the Hatton fans. I don't have a problem with all of America. :P

I see your point, but I think it's just a cultural difference.

For example my missus will happily go and watch any sports event in the States despite having no interest in the sport as it's a very relaxed atmoshere, she refuses point blank to go to football games in the UK/Europe as she finds the atmosphere in the grounds as 'hostile'. I think this type of view on how these events would be pretty close to how many Americans would view it.

Rather than seeing what to us was great support for Hatton, they'd see it as hostile nutters creating trouble.

Yeah, I agree and appreciate that. I'm just annoyed at what I perceive to be arrogance on their part. I was reading an article earlier about how all of Hatton's fan that traveled were "drunks" that had the audacity or in most cases stupidity to back a Hatton win. When really they were just supporting their guy. I find it especially offensive because their support is so piss poor in comparison. They don't support their fighters at all. It isn't uncommon to hear Floyd Mayweather 'fans' booing him for being boring during a fight.

I agree entirely about American sports fans. Sorry about the dig at English fans, it just comes easily to me. I tihnk part of their problem is that as all their teams are franchised, and have a massive turn over of players, there isn't as much to get behind. Even though English football teams are mostly foreign or whatever, the teams seem more a part of the soul of the city than in America. Anyways, John Duddy got a good victory in Belfast on Saturday. Great night of boxing all round.

I agree entirely about American sports fans. Sorry about the dig at English fans, it just comes easily to me.

No worries at all. Like most Liverpool fans I've long since lost any depth of feeling or significant connection to the national team. I think it's fair to say Liverpool fans in general support their club in a unique way when compared with other English fans. I don't mean that to sound cocky or arrogant, just that the booing of our own players is forbade at Anfield and that goes for the opposition 99% of the time as well. You have to have done something terrible to make them boo you; see Diouf.

As I said, I didn't mean to condescend or offend anyone there. I just feel that Liverpool supporters are unique in their approach to supporting the team. I think the show of support for our manager the other week demonstrates that wonderfully. Whereas I found some of the England fans' booing of other team's national anthems and our own players unacceptable. Although I must confess I wasn't particularly bothered when it happened before the fight, simply because of all the anti-British talk in the days preceding the fight.

Sorry for taking it off topic a touch there.

Getting back on topic: I like Duddy, an exciting fighter and he's a big draw to boot.

I'm worried about Duddy. I still don't think he is true world class and can see him being sacrificed to Pavlik at some point in the near future. Duddys decent chin and the fact he often leads with his face meeting Pavlik's ridiculus power could mean Duddy taking a horrible beating.

Beating Eastman is on paper a decent result but Howard is coming to the end of a frustrating career. He had'nt trained properly and still ran Duddy so close alot of people think he won the fight.

I caught up with the Danny Williams vs Oleg Platov fight. That was a bunch of BS. Platov pleaded of with a cut which wasent that bad and because of it being from an accidental headbutt was ruled NC. Williams was teeing of on him at the time and he was about to be ko'd. Shame for Danny and a shame for Platov as I thought he had looked a decent enough prospect.

As for the ref, I also had it 89-81 at the stoppage, so it's all a bit moot. The only difference would've been the fight perhaps lasting 12 rounds. Let's say Hatton wins the final two, we're still at 117-110/116-111. Bit less damaging to the pride though, obviously.

That's the thing, though: He didn't deserve to go out on his back. The referee completely put the shits up him; he basically coiled him back like a spring and fired him straight at Floyd. It truly was a disgrace.

I've watched it again today and his performance gets worse with each viewing. Jim Watt called his performance "deplorable" I have to agree with him. I can't understand why he refereed in the way he did, the harder I think about it, the closer I get to the conclusion that he was bought, or just hates Hatton. It may sound ridiculous but I can't see any other reason for him behaving in the manner he did. The smiles and hugging with Floyd after the fight was also a poor show.

As you say: It is a bit of a moot point, but I just can't believe it played out in the way it did. I had said in here a few times that the ref would have an unusually large bearing on the shape of the fight, never in my worst nightmares did I imagine him doing what he did. He took away any element of competitiveness and basically made it a mugging.

Anyone see the Alex Arthur and Steve Foster Jr fight on Setanta the other night? What an amazing fight and a great effort by Foster. I was on my feet shouting him on after he got that knockdown in the 11th but it was a pity he lost the point for a headbutt earlier on.

I think he may need to move up. He looked seriously drained and said he was having problems making the weight. Obviously, many fighters have said the same after lackluster performances but he definitely didn't look right.

Hatton's name is getting chucked about a fair bit now, some of the fights I've seen mentioned by either fighters or promoters are:

Pacquiao

Malignaggi

Witter

Rees

Mayweather

All of which are interesting in their own way, bar Rees. I think any talk of a rematch with Floyd is daft as he isn't going to get him down to Light-welter or get him to fight over here. I don't see how a Hatton win can be considered at all, never mind at Welter in the States.

Pac's an interesting one; Arum has said that HBO have offered him the fight if he can get past Marquez and Diaz, which obviously can't be taken for granted.

Paulie Malignaggi would be an opponent I'd like to see him matched with. He's coming off a similar natured loss to Hatton's and he'd represent a pay day in the states and a scalp at Light-welter.

Witter is a dangerous fight and it's clear the two men don't like each other, though I'd like to see them settle it in the ring. I think Hatton would wear him down, though I'm not sure it's the sartest of fights to take when you're coming off a KO loss.

One thing is clear, he should get out of Welter before the big dogs get to him. Any talk of him fighting Cotto or Williams should be met with a shriek by the Hatton camp. He isn't strong enough at the weight to attempt to fight the likes of them.

It seems as though Calzaghe and Hopkins are finally going to fight. Warren reckons he's close to securing the fight for April in the States. I don't see how Hopkins can win at this stage of his career, bar the obvious bent officiating/scoring. I'd love to see it happen because it'd be a crime for Calzaghe to retire without topping a massive bill over there and showing them how good he is.

Cotto's been trying to goad Mayweather, though I doubt anything will come of it. Mayorga has also said he wants Mayweather and will knock him out if Floyd 'grows balls big enough to face him'. :)

• 1 month later...

No posts in the boxing thread this year... I'm surprised it didn't get a bit of attention when the very over-rated Amir Khan went 12 rounds the other day.

So, Hopkins vs Calzaghe is signed and set for 19th April. Hopkins has been talking a good fight as usual. Did anyone else cath his "I'm gon' spank you nicely and let you off the hook" interview on Setanta?

I'm much more excited about this fight than I thought I would be. I think it is predominantly due to so many Americans saying Joe is going to be exposed over there. Hopkins' comments on the superiority of American athletes in general have made this encounter somewhat more interesting. I don't see a way in which he can win, not on his own anyway. Calzaghe's got too much energy, too much intelligence and too much ability to allow it. The close rounds will almost certainly go in Bernard's favour so Joe has to make sure he is dominant.

I see Hatton is talking about a rematch with Mayweather and has said they have become friends since their fight. I'd like to see him take on Witter at 140 instead but I wouldn't say no to another Mayweather fight, even if the result isn't in doubt. Mayweather has apparently agreed to fight Oscar again at the end of the year and although I'd rather see him fight Cotto, Oscar isn't such a bad opponent, even at this stage of his career.

Witter is making a fool of Demetrius Hopkins in the press. Hopefully he'll be able to force their fight through, although that looks quite unlikely. I'd like to see him do well in the states and shut the mouths of some doubters while he's still young enough to do it.

For future reference: you can find it in the (pinned) Sports Folder. :)

Anybody catch Pavlik vs Taylor 2? I was really looking forward to it and although it was far more cagey affair, due in no small part to Taylor, it didn't disappoint. I thought Pavlik looked good again and I can't see anybody living with him at middleweight now. Possibly Arthur Abraham, although I'd favour Pavlik to win a late round KO or UD. It looks like he'll be fighting Trinidad or Duddy in June and then looking to unify so a fight with Abraham looks likely to happen at some point in the future.

No posts in the boxing thread this year... I'm surprised it didn't get a bit of attention when the very over-rated Amir Khan went 12 rounds the other day.

He needs to fight Thaxton and clean up at domestic level before anything else, Warrens "safety first" way of operating will sooner or later bore Khan and the paying public.

Look at Hatton, ok he lost but he's had several big fights in Vegas and made his mark, Calzaghe was clearly massively impressed that Hatton was better known, the bigger name and better thought of because he was willing to fight in the US also the sheer glamour of it seemed to grab JC that Vegas was the real fight capitol of the world not some stadium in Wales and that if he really wanted to leave a legacy he had to fight over there.

JC will simply throw too many punches for Hopkins, especially at this stage of his career, I think he'll win.

He needs to fight Thaxton and clean up at domestic level before anything else, Warrens "safety first" way of operating will sooner or later bore Khan and the paying public.

Look at Hatton, ok he lost but he's had several big fights in Vegas and made his mark, Calzaghe was clearly massively impressed that Hatton was better known, the bigger name and better thought of because he was willing to fight in the US also the sheer glamour of it seemed to grab JC that Vegas was the real fight capitol of the world not some stadium in Wales and that if he really wanted to leave a legacy he had to fight over there.

JC will simply throw too many punches for Hopkins, especially at this stage of his career, I think he'll win.

The Thaxton fight has to happen if Khan's ever going to win over the skeptics. He was impressive in the St Clair fight (St Clair has a hell of a chin) and even took a couple of bombs himself. But it was still a typical Warren promotion. There was only ever 1 possible outcome and Warren tried to make it look good by sticking Khan in with a guy who can take a punch but is unlikey to set the boxing world on fire.

Khan v Thaxton, Khan v Katsidis are the 2 fights that everyone wants to see.

BTW, did anyone catch that documentary on BBC2 about Dimitry Salita, the orthadox Jewish fighter? Impressive kid, he reminded me of Khan - good lateral movement, quick combos, a tendency to leave his chin hanging out when throwing the straight right. There's a good chance they'll end up in the welterweight division and that could be a good match-up.

The Thaxton fight has to happen if Khan's ever going to win over the skeptics. He was impressive in the St Clair fight (St Clair has a hell of a chin) and even took a couple of bombs himself. But it was still a typical Warren promotion.

Khan will be fed the diet of boxers that have good records at a weight or two below the one of his fighter won't he - thats the way it is so far with most of Warrens fighters and the way it'll go. Warren for me was summed up when he got his hands on a world heavyweight champion in Hide (and Bruno to a lesser extent in getting out negociated there). Hides first 2 opponents as WBO "champion" were blown up Cruserweights with mediocre records in that division, then Hide was forced to fight Klitcho, he was the mandatory challenger. Warren went to court to try to stop it, scrapped harder than Hide did in the actual fight. Warren does whats right for his and his fighters pockets BUT you get blokes like Hatton that want the same adulation as the likes of Benn, they know they'll earn the money but they want the respect and legacy which you cannot buy. I think the boxing public as a whole sees through things like this a lot easier than they did pre Harrison, they are a lot more cynical.

If he doesn't fight Thaxton then he's not even the best in the country let alone anywhere else and it'll be just a title, a vehicle to earn money and you'll know what Warren has in store for Khan and that Khans decided to settle for it (baring a JC style visit to Vegas and a realisation that fighting at home means the americans will never ever reckon him).

rumours of Tyson vs Holyfield III

this is just farcical surely, how/who would buy tickets for this freakshow, neither is rated or up to the job now, I recall Tyson getting knocked out by Danny Williams and some other british no body :unsure:

Kevin McBride is the guy that beat him after Williams, and he's Irish, not British. :(

Tyson has been openly speaking about this for 6 months or so. I recall him saying he'd like to do it if "the tickets were right". Fenech had apparently floated the idea of a mini-tournament involving Tyson, Holyfield and two others, in which the fights would last a maximum of four rounds. The saddest thing about it is: it would definitely sell well and bring a bit of glamour to a fallen division.

In real boxing news: I see Hopkins is either doing his best to sell his upcoming fight with Calzaghe, or he's losing the plot. Some of the rubbish that has left his lips regarding the fight recently has left me feeling a bit sorry for him. If he honestly sees the fight panning out in the way he says he does he's not only delusional, he's in for a hiding.

I'm looking forward to the Calzaghe fight. You seem very knowledgeable, dogsout, how do you see it panning out? Isn't Hopkins stepping up a weight?

And have you heard about Floyd Mayweather's latest endeavour? $20m to 'fight' The Big Show at WrestleMania. There's debate on some wrestling forums I visit about just how marketable or popular Mayweather is, and whether he can boost the buyrate enough to warrant that fee.

Calzaghe is actually moving up in weight to fight Hopkins. Hopkins moved up from Middleweight to Light-heavy when he beat Antonio Tarver for the title (Tarver having beaten Roy Jones Jnr, who had beaten Hopkins for the Middleweight title years and years ago). I really can't see past Joe winning this one. I think he's just got too much ability as well as the physical tools required to win. However, if there's one thing Hopkins does well it is spoil a fight. He'll be using every dirty trick in the book to upset Joe's rhythm in an attempt to nick rounds without expending too much energy or presenting much of a target. He'll look to frustrate him, and I'm sure he'll succeed at times, and with the fight being in America, the close rounds will surely go to Hopkins.

I think Joe should win a comfortable decision but there's always the possibility Hopkins will frustrate him and bring his work rate down on the way to a boring/controversial decision win. Unfortunately the controversial decision is the more likely outcome, as far as a Hopkins win goes.

As for Mayweather: I have seen the publicity stunt involving him popping The Bigshow on his nose. He's the face of boxing in America and is only recently getting the credit he deserves from his own countrymen. He is also very good at selling a fight and knows how to play up to his 'bad boy' image. You only have to look at the way he sucked everybody in with his treatment of Hatton to see the guy is very clever. He stoked up the 'us against them' fires, played up to the idea that he believed Hatton to be one dimensional and overrated. All the while cussing and hollering for all to hear, dredging up his past and demanding respect. He took Hatton's eye off the prize and made it personal. His performance on the night showed he had actually done his homework on Hatton, better than anybody else had before. He got the result and has been nothing but smiles and niceties since, as far as Hatton and his fans are concerned.

He's not daft at all, both of the HBO 24/7 shows to date have featured him and both have been compulsive viewing, securing him more money and public status. He's done a couple of TV shows in the states as well and he's finally become a household name over there. I expect Wrestlemania will over perform in terms of PPV buys and both guys will save face through a ridiculous turn of events ending in a draw or some shite.

The rumoured $20 million itself is also seen by quite a few people as a means to promote the fight, and in reality Mayweather isn't getting that much, but it should be good for both sides overall. It's smart business.

• 2 weeks later...

David Haye certainly did a number on Maccarinelli, (I never understood how on BBC Boxing had Haye ranked lower than Enzo, especially as he went to France and took Jean-Marc Mormeck's WBC and WBA titles in Paris in November) he will need to tighten his defence otherwise those heavyweights can/will catch him.

Exciting times for british boxing

Enzo = way overrated. If he wasn't in the Calzaghe camp there's no way anyone would have him ranked higher than Haye.

Also, he's been helping to promote this book:

51didwd9MEL._SS500_.jpg

Which does a great job of glamorising not so much football hooliganism, but the violent activities of the BNP and National Front. These are the people he hangs round with. If you're mates with Neo Nazis perhaps it's appropriate he just got destroyed by a black boxer.

You'd think it was Enzo that was born and raised in Bermondsey, then.

Good fight. I made a bit of money on Haye inside 3 rounds. The result was never in doubt for me but I didn't expect Haye to break him with literally the second flush right hand he landed. I thought the referee should have called it a knockdown after the shot that put Enzo in trouble because Enzo fell and was clearly only kept up by the ropes. That's one of the problems about these fights being shown on Setanta; the pundits are terrible and offer little to no insight. They really look like casuals up there. Enzo's lack of experience showed when he didn't take a knee after the initial right hand put him in trouble but it was a great finish by Haye and I look forward to seeing him at Heavyweight. The division is crying out for a star because it's a shambles and has been for some time.

I don't think Enzo is that bad, infact i think he's a pretty decent boxer, that fight could have gone either way and was very difficult to predict. One big punch was all it came down to and Haye was the one who landed it. Enzo really should have dropped to one knee though and taken the 8 count, really a stupid decision getting up.

Just in case anyones interested ex-British Cruiserweight Champion Tom Watson won at Cage rage last night, looks like he could make a good MMA fighter. Good work by Hayes too, I thought he might take it early.