The Boxing Thread

I think Dubois was undone by his own scariness! He's the first person to make Joyce that wary, and paid for it with a jab he couldn't deal with.

Joshua should beat Pulev and then vacate his WBO to fight Fury next year, leaving Usyk and Joyce to fight for it. I've always wanted to see Fury take on Joyce, but I'm sure he'll retire if he beats AJ.

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Who knew Snoop's real calling was as a boxing commentator.    Watched the Tyson - Jones Jr fight, weirdly enjoyable.  Mike seems in good form. 

Mike is fucking phenomenal for 54. He's still got those voodoo hands and you could see he was taking it easy on Roy. The post fight conference was good too. He has really grown as a person and this is a new beginning for him. 

The thing is they don't need to play by the same rules.  They are prize fighters and they'll get big money fights just because they are popular, no need to pay dues, sign a shitty deal with a corrupt promoter and work their way up million dollar purses, they can (and have) collect that kind of money already.   

Jake Paul seems to talk like he wants to have a real crack at the pro game.   Dunno what this McGregor talk is all about though, I think Conor gets to dictate terms in that fight and even if it's a traditional boxing match what weight is it going to be at?  Jake Paul is fighting at Cruiserweight, can he get down to 175 or something? 

11 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

The thing is they don't need to play by the same rules.  They are prize fighters and they'll get big money fights just because they are popular, no need to pay dues, sign a shitty deal with a corrupt promoter and work their way up million dollar purses, they can (and have) collect that kind of money already.   

Jake Paul seems to talk like he wants to have a real crack at the pro game.   Dunno what this McGregor talk is all about though, I think Conor gets to dictate terms in that fight and even if it's a traditional boxing match what weight is it going to be at?  Jake Paul is fighting at Cruiserweight, can he get down to 175 or something? 

The paying dues part usually consists of years of amateur fights, then turning pro and years of steadily more difficult journeymen, then regional Pro titles to become a prize fighter. Jake Paul instead has fought KSI's brother, some other random YouTuber and a 5ft8 retired basketball player. I really don't think he is serious about being a pro fighter. He is a side show stuck on cards by lazy promoters. He will stay fighting youtubers and Z list celebs his whole boxing career. 

Great fight with Tyson and Jones Jr. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Did anyone also think Snoops stock price has just gone through the roof? Great commentary, great presence and an amazing 5 song performance. Especially after those budget rappers inbetween the other fights.

Also fantastic production by thriller. Well done all.

On 30/11/2020 at 03:01, skittles said:

Great fight with Tyson and Jones Jr. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Did anyone also think Snoops stock price has just gone through the roof? Great commentary, great presence and an amazing 5 song performance. Especially after those budget rappers inbetween the other fights.

Also fantastic production by thriller. Well done all.

“It’s like watching two uncles fighting at a barbecue !”. Brilliant from Snoop.

I thought Tyson looked good, but Jones was constantly trying to tie him up and didn’t really look up to it.

I'm sure the last thing Floyd wants is these exhibition fights ending anytime soon. He is smart enough to carry the lummox a few rounds, then fight Jake Paul, then fight KSI....Floyd could fight deluded youtubers who think they are boxers for years. 

People are losing their shit about this exhibition. 

Crazy exhibitions have happened since the 20s (christ, Foreman boxed 5 guys in a couple hours when he was still active in the 70s), its not a new thing. If Mayweather wants to make more cash then he is entitled to. 

Then you get morons saying boxing right now is a joke. It's not, it's in brilliant shape its just that these kinds of fights get media attention. Then casual fans say its a joke because they don't actually pay attention to the sport. 

If this was an actual active fighter or champ fighting Logan Paul then I can understand the outcry. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Then you get morons saying boxing right now is a joke. It's not, it's in brilliant shape its just that these kinds of fights get media attention. Then casual fans say its a joke because they don't actually pay attention to the sport.

I didn't realise you needed to follow every division to have an opinion on one of the best boxers of all time fighting a fucking hack Youtuber :lol:

Imagine some journeyman pro who barely gets by seeing all the money and attention these dickheads are getting with none of the grind. Tell them it's no joke.

41 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I didn't realise you needed to follow every division to have an opinion on one of the best boxers of all time fighting a fucking hack Youtuber :lol:

Imagine some journeyman pro who barely gets by seeing all the money and attention these dickheads are getting with none of the grind. Tell them it's no joke.

Did you read my full post? 

I'm not saying it's not a joke. It is. But it's always happened in boxing. I can understand why Mayweather is doing it. It's a payday. 

I was criticising  people saying boxing right now is a joke. When its not. 

You came by saying boxing is dead. Which is just silly pal. 

4 hours ago, Ry said:

Then you get morons saying boxing right now is a joke. It's not, it's in brilliant shape its just that these kinds of fights get media attention. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of Mayweather fights against youtubers but have to take you up on this. Boxing is not in brilliant shape at all. The pandemic has been devastating especially at small hall level where they relied on crowds. Theres boxers at all levels, all around the world who have been unemployed since March. Even at the highest level Canelo's mental contract with DAZN almost sunk the whole company. Unless your a boxer say signed to Matchroom who have a solid TV deal you might have been ok. Even then Eddie Hearn has admitted he has struggled putting on events this year.

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of Mayweather fights against youtubers but have to take you up on this. Boxing is not in brilliant shape at all. The pandemic has been devastating especially at small hall level where they relied on crowds. Theres boxers at all levels, all around the world who have been unemployed since March. Even at the highest level Canelo's mental contract with DAZN almost sunk the whole company. Unless your a boxer say signed to Matchroom who have a solid TV deal you might have been ok. Even then Eddie Hearn has admitted he has struggled putting on events this year.

I was more meaning the quality of boxing and boxers. And that's what most people mean when they say "boxing is shite these days" 

I'm aware there is a pandemic and it's affected the industry in a horrible way.