The Boxing Thread

8 hours ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

And wins over Reid, Woodhall and Eubank put him right up there with the best in my opinion.

Did he really beat Reid? I've watched that fight a few times and can't see why Reid didn't win.

Eubank was finished. I'll give you the Woodhall victory.

I thought he beat Reid in a close one, been a few years since I saw that one though. Remember hoping there would be a rematch. Eubank went on to give Carl Thompson hell in his last two fights.  It was far from say the RJJ retirement tour, where he lost to bloody Enzo.

Calzaghe was a really frustrating boxer to be a fan off. I remember years off getting excited on who his next world title fight would be against. Would it be RJJ, Hopkins, Ottke, Tarver etc then it would be Tocker Pudwell or Mger Mkrtchyan and you would be thinking who the fuck is that and have to go searching them on boxrec.

He got his shit together with that run at the end though. After Lacy and Kessler he was undoubtedly the number 1 Super Middleweight in the world at that point. The win over Hopkins looks even better in hindsight too, with Hopkins immediately going on to beat Pavlik, Pascal and Cloud and give Dawson all kinds of problems. I don't think he was the greatest British boxer ever and he was extremely frustrating to follow at times but he was far above Euro level, suggesting that is just ridiculous. He was ranked top 10 pound for pound by Ring magazine after the Lacy and Kessler fights. He is in the International Boxing Hall of Fame and many boxing fans consider him a top 5 All Time for his weight division.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

There had been rumours on Twitter for a few days that a big fight was about to be announced. Turns out Mike Tyson is going to fight Roy Jones jr.  :unsure:

:seanr:

On 01/07/2020 at 07:52, Gotters said:

I never regarded Calzaghe as somebody who should be considered an all time great, or even as good as his record would make you think.

He was smart, in hand picking the time he fought people that were big names but for the most part fought nobody of note, maybe it was the era and the likes of Benn/Eubank/Watson were still in my mind but he was a Euro level fighter who never went to the states and tested himself against the best.

Nice record but not an all time great by a long shot, could have been but we'll never know.

Hmm i dunno. The shit Calzaghe put himself through to attain his stamina was way beyond many, many fighters. 5-7 miles per day up Welsh Hills whilst most other fighters were running track or on some streets put him well beyond their reach for pure stamina. Given his hands were pretty fucked he done well IMO. The Hopkins fight, for me, was a mess and Reid was a bit sketchy. I guess you could argue that many punches never hit and he threw so many - but his Stamina was legendary IMO.

20 hours ago, SeanR said:

:seanr:

I don't know how to feel about it really RJJ has been beaten quite handily by people way below his skill set but.....I don't know, i want to be excited because it's Iron Mike Tyson.

It's not Iron Mike Tyson though.  Iron Mike hasn't really existed since about 1989.  This is a 54 year old Mike Tyson who can probably still bang for a couple of rounds but is a shadow of the guy who held a reign of terror over the heavyweight division for three or four years in the 80s and he's fighting a guy who is shot to shit.  RJJ makes me sad, at his peak I'd have backed him against anybody P4P, he really was that good and I think if he'd retired after he won the heavyweight title he'd probably be spoken about in the same terms as Joe Louis, Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard.  Now he's just a guy who carried on for faaaar too long. 

Its an exhibition fight as well, basically just a public sparring session. No one is getting knocked out or hurt. Feel sorry for anyone buying this on PPV. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He'll be kicking himself today. He effectively gave up the first six rounds through inactivity. None of his trademark combos, jabs or angles, just a lot of defensive footwork. I think he mostly nullified himself out of respect for Lopez's power and the moment he started to press from round 7 onwards, he began to win rounds. Lopez was sensational though and he showed that he's an elite level fighter who can box with real craft and intelligence, as well as brawl with the best of them. He's going to be a big star.

I think Loma needs to go back down, he's just never been comfortable at 135, despite some impressive wins at that weight. Still an all time great as far as I'm concerned and boxing really needs more of these super fights.