rllmuk
dogsout

The Boxing Thread

Every time I think I have Fury worked out he does something like this . What a fighter . No one can doubt his ability now . Honestly they better get a unification match on now . Two British heavy weights fighting to unify the division ? It’s the stuff of dreams .

Just watched it. Wow. Wilder had nothing and Fury just wore him out. I think Wilder had some ear drum damage and couldn't balance. The later rounds, Wilder looked intimidated. A fantastic heavy weight performance from Fury.

AJ won't have an answer to that kind of approach.

Wembley stadium in the Summer for the unification?

How can AJ beat Fury? Fury is just too clever. 

What a fight it will be. Get on with 50/50 and get it sorted. 

29 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I think Wilder had some ear drum damage and couldn't balance.

If he had he wouldn't been fit to fight. With the insane amount of money going into these fights, both fighters has to be fit. 

edit: I think I misread you!

Edited by Stevie

I've just watched the full fight relay, Wilder was blowing out his arse in the 3rd even before the 1st knockdown. Then after the body shot knockdown it was just a matter of time. He tries to throw a big punch at Fury right before the stoppage and its just a big heavy swing of nothing.

Massive win that and impressive as hell by Fury. Hearn has said the the unification fight is going to happen this year, let's hope they get something sorted. You can't not have two British heavyweights with the titles and not do it. Better be in the bloody UK too.

Also, what absolute massive bastard Fury is, licking Wilders blood :lol:

Screenshot_20200223-084322_YouTube.jpg

I managed to see the full fight on YouTube - actually a classic heavyweight story in the huge punching but limited skill banger being eventually taken down by the better boxer employing a ramrod jab and setting up their shots properly.

Wilder just wasn't setting anything up and you could see the desperation kick in early and he was just swinging single shots, messy stuff. Fury totally bamboozles him.

Unless he trains classic boxing skills a lot Fury will be kryptonite to Wilder - there is no need for a trilogy fight here. 

I don't think Joshua is as limited as Wilder in terms of classic technique but would fancy Fury very strongly in that fight, as long as Fury stays on the rails.

16 hours ago, skittles said:

Anyone super pumped? Can't not back fury but he has a big task ahead of him. Interesting how both came in a lot heavier..

Fury ko on 7. Let's go

Cheeky 40-1 odds. Thanks! 

What a fight 

• Upvote 3

Just read both fighters had a 'loser rematch clause' in the contracts, Wilder has 30 days to activate it.

I think he'd be sensible to let it lapse and rebuild a bit. 

• Upvote 1

Watched the fight on YouTube (Lego and sweets being ordered later) after waking up to the sweet, sweet news.

Fury Joshua has to happen, hopefully Hearn won’t be a prick about it. So obviously, he’ll be a prick about it, but surely it would be the biggest fight in British boxing history in terms of numbers, and he’d be a fool to not want part of that gargantuan pie.

Yes. The heavyweight division is the big one with the public (wrongly). It'll be up there with the Eubank Vs Benn war. 

The thing to consider is the fact that the third fight has a clause in it that give fury a 60/40 split of the purse . That might suit the suits that make the matches . With AJ it will be a 50/50 split but with potentially a bigger purse . 
theres also  the issue of networks with Joshua and fury signed to rivals . I just hope they can get it done whilst both boxers are at their prime .

Just watched it, Wilder looked ruined by the end of round 4. If Fury can stay on the rails, he can execute any plan against any fighter. If I was Wilder I'd avoid a rematch, if I was Joshua, I'd be shitting bricks.

• Upvote 5

Watched it again and still can't believe how good Fury looked. I'm not sold on the rematch, this was too one sided. I'd love to see Fury vs AJ next but politics is going to get in the way isn't it?  Someone is gonna strip AJ of a title and make sure the undisputed thing doesn't happen.  

Most heavyweights in history would've struggled against Fury in that fight. He was awesome. Only downside was I had him down to win in the 6th.

Joshua won't want to fight him. I don't think it'll happen.

• Upvote 1

I still maintain that Joshua is just a slightly upgraded version of the Bruno/Notice/Mason era of well promoted but massively limited British heavies - Fury on that form beats him easily I believe.

As much as I like AJ, I can’t see him having much more than a puncher’s chance against an in-form Fury. He may be belatedly learning how to box, but he’s not good enough at it yet to try it against Fury.

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Just read both fighters had a 'loser rematch clause' in the contracts, Wilder has 30 days to activate it.

I think he'd be sensible to let it lapse and rebuild a bit. 

I imagine he might wait it out to see what happens with AJ and Fury. Fight a couple of bums to get his rank and confidence back up and then look to fight the winner of AJ/Fury if that's happens.

I keep reading Wilder wanted to go out 'on his shield' - where does that phrase come from? Anyone know? Made me real curious now.

13 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

I keep reading Wilder wanted to go out 'on his shield' - where does that phrase come from? Anyone know? Made me real curious now.

Some Spartan shit isn’t it. Come back with your shield, or on it. 

Except in reality it’s a sport not a war and it’s nice that he was spared further damage.

• Upvote 2

Joshua isn't afraid of Fury or Wilder, both them guys didn't want it with Joshua before the Ruiz fight. Joshua had every right to have a bigger purse split with the better resume and majority of the belts. It's not a good look for Wilder if he doesn't rematch Fury straight away after all the slabbering he done about Joshua losing to Ruiz. Joshua straight rematched Ruiz! Look at Joshuas resume! Nah he aint scared of Fury.

Fury beats AJ I reckon. AJ is a better boxer than Wilder though, so would be closer.

25 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Nigel Benn used to say it a lot in his heyday.  Dunno where it originated from beyond it being a warrior mentality thing, but there's a huge point of pride in not quitting. Thing is Wilder didn't quit so he's not got to worry about it. His corner saved him from really getting hurt though, those right hands were breaking his guard and he wasn't moving. I dare say the ref would have stopped within a matter of seconds if the towel hadn't come in. 

At what point will people stop hating on this guy? Stop doubting and start celebrating, because he's quite likely the best of his era. At this rate, he's going down as an ATG. It would be nice if more fans could let go of their own prejudices and just appreciate him while he's here. Ridiculous performance again. He's on another level to anyone else; he has so many ways to win a fight.

• Upvote 4

You need to separate the boxer from the homophobe , sexist and anti Semite.  

on a technical level the match was impressive, but a media tour to plaster over his image was disappointing to say the least. 

His depression no doubt exacerbated things and his work to raise awareness of mental health issues is admirable but at the same time he really needs to own his prior comments and that is not something he has done so far. 

• Upvote 5