rllmuk
dogsout

The Boxing Thread

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Technically impressive, but not exactly the stuff of champions.

I say this as somebody who still refuses to acknowledge Hagler lost to Leonard.

It was exactly the stuff of champions . See also Lewis vs Tua 

• Upvote 1

No way Hearn will match his meal ticket up for probable defeat against Wilder or Fury, not when there is so much money to be made bringing them back out to places like Saudi Arabia again which will pay site fees and purses that dwarf the traditional locations - I read that Joshua got a £66m purse for this fight.

I suspect they'll fancy a nice safe trilogy match out in Saudi again, and bump up Ruiz's purse a bit hoping that it'll lead to more soft living and lack of training.

Unlike Fury, who I genuinely believe will fight anybody, Joshua takes me back to the old British heavyweights like Bruno, Gary Mason, Horace Notice who have to create a very carefully padded record to extend their shelf life. Smart work by Hearn, I get it, doesn't mean Joshua will be regarded highly in the wider scene though.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I suspect they'll fancy a nice safe trilogy match out in Saudi again, and bump up Ruiz's purse a bit hoping that it'll lead to more soft living and lack of training.

Can't see it myself as I'm not sure they'd want to risk a Ruiz shot connecting (by luck or skill), a second defeat to a fairly limited boxer like Ruiz would be incredibly damaging to the AJ gravy train.

The lack of entertainment makes it a hard public sell as well, I reckon you are more likely to see AJ up against a no-mark where he can chalk up another big knock out and get the hype train accelerated before heading towards a big fight (against who will depend on the next 6 months) 

Joshua has two mandatories, one for the IBF against Pulev, the other for the WBA against Usyk. Its most likely going to be Pulev. Hopefully he then fights one of Wilder/Fury. I'm predicting "negotiations" go on forever then fall apart though.

Ruiz really blew it last night, he is not getting a trilogy any time soon. Saying "I'm sorry. I couldn't be bothered training properly" is a terrible excuse as well when your supposed to be a Heavyweight world champion.

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

Unlike Fury, who I genuinely believe will fight anybody, Joshua takes me back to the old British heavyweights like Bruno, Gary Mason, Horace Notice who have to create a very carefully padded record to extend their shelf life. Smart work by Hearn, I get it, doesn't mean Joshua will be regarded highly in the wider scene though.

:lol: Someone really doesn’t like Joshua .

klitschco, brezeale, Povetkin, Ruiz jr, Parker, whyyte...

Joshua’s resume is better than both Wilder and Fury.

• Upvote 1

The hate that AJ gets is utterly baffling. As PeteBrant said, he's probably got the best CV out of the current crop of heavyweights. Fury has Klitschko and Wilder and then his next best opponent is probably Derek Chisora (9 defeats on his record). His last two fights have been against truly subpar opposition and he struggled massively against Otto Wallin, a fighter not even ranked in the top 50. 

Wilder's best? Fury and Ortiz (Who is allegedly in his 50's). After that, probably Brezeale and then it really is slim pickings. Not to say that AJ beats either of them, but this narrative that he's being protected or that his record is padded is completely ridiculous when the level of his opposition has generally been far tougher than those guys, and with far fewer fights too. Plus, going right after a rematch against a guy who completely dismantled you in the previous fight, is not playing it safe.

Joshua was superb last night and completely nullified Ruiz's offence by keeping him at distance with a really effective jab and some surprisingly good footwork and lateral movement. There were two occasions in which AJ deviated from the plan and let Ruiz close the distance and step inside, and the moment he traded hooks, he came off second best, so forget the excuses, Ruiz has always been heavy and out of shape, this win was entirely down to a very disciplined, intelligent and consistent performance from Joshua.

Ruiz has spent his entire career fighting in the same way. Short bursts of punches and combos and looping overheads, usually in the pocket because of his size disadvantage. And he's had a lot of success with his style because it's incredibly hard to keep someone at distance with the kind of jab output that AJ used last night.

• Upvote 7

I have no idea why Anthony Joshua and Amir Khan get hate from a significant section of the British public* and Tyson Fury, despite saying some horrible things, does not.  No idea whatsoever.

*Note.  Not on here.  Elsewhere.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

I have no idea why Anthony Joshua and Amir Khan get hate from a significant section of the British public* and Tyson Fury, despite saying some horrible things, does not.  No idea whatsoever.

See also: Lewis Hamilton.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Fucking hell. Amir Khan has been a joke for British boxing for years. You must not have followed his career.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Fucking hell. Amir Khan has been a joke for British boxing for years. You must not have followed his career.

Come on, that's completely unfair. As with Joshua, I think fighters should be judged by the quality of their opposition. Khan might not have been relevant for a while now, but that doesn't and shouldn't detract from what has been an objectively outstanding career, with a really impressive CV. This is a guy with wins over the likes of Maidana, Malinaggi, Zab Judah, Devon Alexander Chris Algieri and Barrera (Admittedly past his prime) winning titles across two weight devisions, and becoming a big name in the states in the process. Silver medalist at the Olympics too. He was also arguably the winner against Lamont Peterson and lost in really dubious fashion. The great Mike Costello ranks him in the top 10 British fighters ever. 

Yes, he tarnished his reputation after chasing Mayweather for so long and he has squandered the later part of his career, but he's been one of the most successful British fighters we've ever produced and at his peak, easily one of the most talented boxers.

If you watched Amir Khan on I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here you would've seen what an absolute prick he really is. Doesn't make him less of a boxer but it does make watching him get knocked out a lot funnier. 

On 07/12/2019 at 21:55, Gotters said:

Dull fight - having watched mostly UFC for over 10y now boxing rounds seem so short and the range of fighting technique on offer so limited.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think both sports rely heavily on insight for entertainment value (UFC less so when bodies are flying). Not this fight, obviously! But sometimes a fight that bores most people can be interesting to those who recognise the subtleties at play. I know lots of boxing fans who say UFC's all hugging because they've no experience of high-level wrestling.

6 hours ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

Come on, that's completely unfair. As with Joshua, I think fighters should be judged by the quality of their opposition. Khan might not have been relevant for a while now, but that doesn't and shouldn't detract from what has been an objectively outstanding career, with a really impressive CV. This is a guy with wins over the likes of Maidana, Malinaggi, Zab Judah, Devon Alexander Chris Algieri and Barrera (Admittedly past his prime) winning titles across two weight devisions, and becoming a big name in the states in the process. Silver medalist at the Olympics too. He was also arguably the winner against Lamont Peterson and lost in really dubious fashion. The great Mike Costello ranks him in the top 10 British fighters ever. 

Yes, he tarnished his reputation after chasing Mayweather for so long and he has squandered the later part of his career, but he's been one of the most successful British fighters we've ever produced and at his peak, easily one of the most talented boxers.

I'm pointing out why people might not like Khan and why he might get hate. He has wasted the last 8 years chasing a Mayweather or Pacman payday whilst doing a bunch of stupid shit outside the ring and on social media. In that time 25 to early 30's, which is most boxers prime he has one ok win against a past his best Devon Alexander and been wrecked by Canelo, Crawford and Garcia.Theres plenty for people to think he is a moron for dispite beating the likes of Paulie and Zab 10 years ago.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Orion said:

I'm pointing out why people might not like Khan and why he might get hate. He has wasted the last 8 years chasing a Mayweather or Pacman payday whilst doing a bunch of stupid shit outside the ring and on social media. In that time 25 to early 30's, which is most boxers prime he has one ok win against a past his best Devon Alexander and been wrecked by Canelo, Crawford and Garcia.Theres plenty for people to think he is a moron for dispite beating the likes of Paulie and Zab 10 years ago.

Yeah I do get it, I just personally think it's a really harsh assessment of his career overall, especially when most British fighters would kill to have the success he's had. You can think he's a moron (He doesn't seem to be the brightest of guys) and still respect his career without labelling him a joke. And I don't think losses to Canelo (Two weight categories above Khan) and peak Crawford (Arguably p4p king) hurt his legacy at all or should be considered blights on his career. If anything, going after top quality opponents should be commended, especially in an era in which active fighters are more concerned about protecting their records than fighting the best. 

But to reference @Plissken, I do think there's a genuine racial component to why a lot of people dislike Khan and having seen him fight live, the amount of racist abuse he gets is absolutely shocking. Just to stress, I absolutely know that doesn't apply here in case my wording is clumsy, I'm just saying it's definitely a factor for a lot of people on Twitter for example, and he gets a disproportionate amount of hate compared to other British fighters who haven't achieved half of what he has.