rllmuk
dogsout

The Boxing Thread

Good on Ruiz, he seems like a nice chap and I like how he fights. His hand speed is nuts for a heavyweight and he has that Mexican brawler attitude, counter punching and generally getting stuck-in. If he gets himself into better shape he could hang on to those belts I reckon.

4 hours ago, marsh said:

Not sure I'd go as far as calling this chap a bum, however that was rather unexpected.

I dunno if it was that unexpected - I thought a lot of the experts that I read before the fight were giving Ruiz a decent chance; it was only the British tabloids who didn't seem to bother to look at any of his previous fights, deciding instead to base their estimate of his chances on his BMI. 

Definitely an interesting result though. 

• Upvote 1

Bit surprised by the comments in here. I've seen a lot of Ruiz's fights and he's a very effective and competent boxer, definitely not a bum. His only loss was a debatable decision that went to the then unbeaten Joseph Parker. Of course the result was still shocking, but I don't think it's fair to call Ruiz a a bum or to suddenly question AJ's credentials. 

AJ looked awful last night and right from his ring walk, he looked stiff and tentative. It was by far the worst performance I've seen from him and his fundamentals just weren't there from the opening round. It also looked to me like he got a concussion when he went down in the third and never really recovered. But that happens in the heavyweight division and although he looked poor, credit must also be given to Ruiz for taking it to AJ in the manner that he did. Styles make fights and all that Jazz so a loss to Ruiz doesn't really mean that much in the big scheme of things and certainly doesn't diminish his CV in any way.

He actually has made improvements since his fight with Kiltchko. If you look at his performance against Parker, its was a very controlled and smart display of boxing, it just wasn't massively entertaining since he wasn't pushing for a KO. The adjustments he made against Povetkin (An extremely good fighter) were clear to see and he had been inching closer to the KO combo every time Povetkin came forward. After getting blasted initially, he figured out his rhythm and distance very well to get the win. It was smart boxing.

Fury is clearly the best heavyweight on the planet and Wilder, despite being an awful boxer, will always have that power as an equaliser. But Joshua is still right up there with them on a good night.

• Upvote 3

Oh man. One of my boxing heroes, Pernell Whittaker, has been killed. Hit by a car aged 55. He got put into the boxing hall of fame as soon as he was eligible (five years after retirement) and is definitely an all time great in my book.  RIP Sweet Pea. 

• Empathy 2

Gutted to see that yesterday. He was untouchable in his prime and the victim of some really shit decisions in some of his biggest fights. Oscar could barely lay a glove on him but somehow got the nod, for example. Great fighter and one of my all time favourites.