rllmuk
dogsout

The Boxing Thread

I remember watching that fight live, even the highly partisan commentary team had all decided Joe was going to lose before the first bell rung.  Joe won every minute of every round and I think he broke Lacy mentally that night as Lacy was never the same fighter again.  Kinda like when Froch effectively finished Lucian Bute's career as a top level operator. 

Joe seems like he's a bit underrated by history now.  He was a superb fighter, I think he should have fought RJJ earlier (though he'd have been demolished by a prime RJJ) but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt over Hopkins considering Hopkins had five more years at world level after the Calzaghe fight, a split decision flattered Hopkins that night imo. He should have probably fought Sven Ottke (also retired undefeated) and Glen Johnson too, I'd have fancied Calzaghe to win both of those fights.  

Joe was an amazingly frustrating fighter to support for about 5 years. His rise was fantastic, leading to the Eubank win and constant talk of huge fights with RJJ and Hopkins. Then it was years of hot air between all parties. You would get hyped for who he would fight next then find out it was Tocker fucking Pudwell or some other can. Ottke was even worse, he wanted no part of anyone. Things started to get good again when Lacy and Kessler rose up and Joe proved he was the best Super Middleweight of that era. It all lead to a nice end of his career, just a shame about the rather boring middle of his reign. 

• Upvote 1

Joshua is fighting this guy. Even an edited Youtube showreel can't make Jarrell Miller look that dangerous. He's really really slow and although he's fighting even worse fighters in this video, he looks terrible. If Joshua can't beat this guy within 3 rounds, I'll be amazed.  

He's a charismatic American, which is really all AJ needs.  I can see 2019 being a disappointing year in the heavyweight division now Tyson Fury has signed that big deal with ESPN. The big three heavyweights are all signed with different broadcasters in the US, plus Fury and Joshua are signed to BT and Sky respectively over here I think we've just entered a period where they spend a couple of years knocking out bums and mandatories who know how to play the rankings. They could all be the wrong side of 35 before they meet in the ring. 

I stayed up to watch it live. It was both mesmerising and deeply uncomfortable viewing in equal measure. Lomachenko has somehow improved and he was just incredible from start to finish. And it was a mismatch in one sense, but let's not forget that Crolla was relatively competitive against Linares and is ranked in the top 5. So although the outcome was never in doubt, it's also a case that Lomachenko is just that good.

I am REALLY not a fan of the Ref's Bowtie cam. A totally unnecessary angle and it was horrible to watch a first person view of Crolla on his back after the KO. Hope they get rid of that as it just feels gratuitous.

Before the Spence fight I think Garcia would have given him a tough fight, just because of his size and strength, but I'm not sure he can recover from a beating like that. Gervonta Davis and Teofomo Lopez would be interesting and could give him issues as they both carry real power.

Looks like Michael Hunter is the most likely option at the moment. It probably needs to be an American name, but Ortiz would be a better fight than Miller. It's surprising how many fighters have already ruled themselves out, saying there's not enough time to prepare. They're heavyweights FFS, there's no weight limit and they have seven weeks!

Miller has tested positive for PED's in the past too, and since one of the substances was EPO, it sounds like he was on a pretty serious programme and can't claim to have eaten tainted meat. I'd be surprised if we see him fighting any time soon after this. 

45 minutes ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

Looks like Michael Hunter is the most likely option at the moment. It probably needs to be an American name, but Ortiz would be a better fight than Miller. It's surprising how many fighters have already ruled themselves out, saying there's not enough time to prepare. They're heavyweights FFS, there's no weight limit and they have seven weeks!

Miller has tested positive for PED's in the past too, and since one of the substances was EPO, it sounds like he was on a pretty serious programme and can't claim to have eaten tainted meat. I'd be surprised if we see him fighting any time soon after this. 

Its amusing that he was constantly shouting about Joshua being a huge drug cheat in the build up then has one of the most epic failed drug tests ever handed in.  

How do you fail for HGH too. Doesn't that stuff stay in your system for only 12 hours?

I like Allen....Doncaster De La Hoya! Haha

Nice body shot.

I'd watch him v whyte, providing Hearn don't make it a PPV.

I'm flagging, not sure I'll make the Crawford v Khan.

Khan didn't make it either. Well beaten, was somewhat lucky to make it out of the first round and quit after 6 with a low blow.  It was definitely a low blow, but Khan was looking for a way out and took it.  Dunno where he goes from here, he's had a wonderful career but that lengthy spell of inactivity and the Canello fight ruined him.

Will be get to see the five-years-too-late bout with Kell Brook now? Probably, but they will be fighting to see who is the least shot.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Probably, but they will be fighting to see who is the least shot.  

Absolutely this, which is really quite sad. 

It's a shame that someone as talented as Brook has squandered his career by chasing the Khan fight. He's been terribly mismanaged really and in the same way that Khan should never have taken the Canelo fight, Brook made a terrible mistake taking the GGG fight and has never been the same after that loss. Their careers have had some bizarre parallels, but Khan should go down as one of the UK's greatest fighters and I can't help but feel that Brook wasted a lot of his potential. His CV isn't close to Khan's and it's a shame as at his peak I think he would've had a chance against anybody. He did quite well against Spence.

How much did Khan get for the Canello fight though? He always seems to be in big money fights so it probably made sense from a financial point of view. I'm not sure Khan is going to spend his final couple of years jobbing out his name to 23 year old prospects but if there's a big UK fight left then why not? 

Yeah, in fairness, I imagine Khan made a ridiculous amount of money. I suppose the question is, did he realistically have another title run left in him at the time and would he have made more money fighting the bigger names in his own division?

With Brook, I'm talking more about his peak years really. He had a great win against Porter and then went on a run of awful domestic defences and a long period of inactivity (Although I'm obviously sympathetic to the shooting etc). I genuinely believe he had the skillset to have a hall of fame career if he went for the big fights of the day. I guess it's that classic boxing conundrum of legacy vs money. But if you can get both, why not?

It was, but the commentary was predictably awful and very one sided. Canelo was amazing, his head movement was so slick and he deserved to win, but it was a closer fight than Adam Smith and Dave Caldwell made out.

He'll beat Andrade fairly handily to unify the division. I still think GGG beat him in both fights, but fair play to him, that's some CV he has!

Few fights around tonight. Deontay Wilder defends against Breazeale in a couple of hours and Billy Joe Saunders won the WBO super middleweight title with a wide points decision over Shefat Isufi so he's probably got a big fight against Callum Smith or Canelo before too much longer if he keeps his nose clean. 

Nayoa Inoue still looks like the fucking man though, another absolute annihilation of an elite fighter. He stopped Manny Rodriguez in two rounds, Rodriguez was a 19-0 WBO world champion coming in to this, he'd never even been on the floor before and Inoue just smashed him to bits.  Reminds me of the GGG of four or five years ago. He's got to be right up there in the P4P list right now. 

• Upvote 1

BJS will never fight anyone like Canello or GGG until they're well past it. He's a joke fighter. 

In other news, Breazeale :bye:

Well Wilder made short work of Breazeale. First round KO. Single punch knockout too. He's a hell of a puncher. 

Inoue fight up on Sky Sports YouTube channel. First bell is at 09:30.  

9 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

He comes across as an affable kind of guy tbh, though AJ is going to absolutely flatten him.  

Erm.