rllmuk
Bleeders

M Night Shyamalan's Glass (2019)

10 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

One thing that bugged me was 

Reveal hidden contents

Dr Staple talks of when one superhero appears, another opposite one also appears. David Dunn was 'created' at the same time as Kevin due to the train crash. If that's so, who would be 'good' opposite for Elijah? It could be possible that the Cloverleaf team had already dealt with the good version of Elijah but I was expecting another twist.

Other than that I really enjoyed it and cannot understand why it's getting so much of a kicking from the critics. I don't think I've seen one good review yet.

Mark Kermode enjoyed it.

Signs is brilliant once you apply the theory that:

Spoiler

They really are demons, not aliens, and the water that hurts them is holy water. The key is spotting the little girl ask her dad (a priest) for a glass of water after seeing a demon, right near the start. She's asking for it not because she's thirsty, but because it'll be blessed and she wants to defend herself. 

That also explains why the creatures aren't being burned to shit by humidity. It's actually very clever! 

• Upvote 5

I think Unbreakable had a similar reception. It’s going to age well. (I re-watched Unbreakable after watching Split last weekend and I appreciated it a lot more than the first few times a decade ago.)

I saw this last night and thought it's great, McAvoys acting is outstanding and that 2 hour run time felt like 90 minutes, the first film I've seen in ages where I'm not wondering what the time is three quarters of the way though. 

• Upvote 2

On 27/04/2017 at 17:32, Mr Hatfield said:

it was shit. Plain shit, frankly.

Absolute dogshit. I was embarrassed while I was watching it, and I was watching it by myself. The only positive is that I now say “et thetera” with a grin and frankly that doesn’t buy back the time I spent watching it. The acting is terrible, the plot is hacky as is the writing and the premise pisses me off. Split personalities only exist in movies. I know, I know, people who are invincible also only exist in movies but for some reason I can suspend my disbelief for that. 

I am incredibly anxious at the moment because my girlfriend (who likes rubbish films) can’t wait to go see the new one and I just know that my post-bad-movie-cunt sub-personality is going to come out and ruin a perfectly nice date night. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, we saw this yesterday. It was...ok. McAvoy was great, but it just kinda meanders and goes nowhere. I preferred both Unbreakable and Split to this. 

I thought this was absolutely fucking dreadful. I don’t even have the energy to go into the many, many ways it repeatedly undermines itself with total and utter nonsense. The only two redeeming features are McAvoy and Jackson, who does his best with embarrassingly little, considering the film is named after him. 

The premise isn’t even that different to the opening act of Terminator 2, when Sarah is in the mental hospital. That film sucessfully sets up and pays off more tension, excitement and intrigue with a single subplot in 20 minutes than this interminable drudge does in its whole running time.

• Downvote 2

Saw this last night. Big Unbreakable fan and I liked Split a lot as well.

Left disappointed.

I get the feeling that Shamalamadingdong (Shalamar?) wrote himself into a corner - he knew he had to wrap up the story in so doing creating a showdown, but also that he had to subvert superhero storytelling tropes such is the essence of the series, thus, not be so action-heavy etc.

Like others said it just kind of meandered and especially during act 2 I found myself getting really quite bored. It isn't even like it needed loads of action to keep things interesting either - a twist or two earlier on might have helped (but equally could have created their own issues). The film tried to purposefully and slowly create tension but really failed - Signs, this is not.

Anya Taylor-Joy's character was particularly badly handled I thought. Again a victim of MNS's wish to subvert expectation, but stitched up by legacy storytelling.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

The film spends a solid hour just redoing the character arcs of the previous two films, complete with the exact same self-doubt and discovery. But the audience already explicitly knows the events of the previous films (and opening of this film) are true, so it’s just tedious and meandering. There’s barely even any dialogue, it’s just Sarah Paulson narrating the entire plot and re-telling you things you’ve already seen.

• Upvote 1

On 19/01/2019 at 09:37, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

Superhero sequels are often about doubt but who spends a second act debunking the existence of superheroes?

See, that was an interesting theme, and had the film's premise been entirely that (in particular, the 'explanations' given in the pink room), it would have been an original and intriguing twist, a clever way to throw doubt on everything that has happened and leaving it nicely ambiguous.

Instead, it drops the idea after ten minutes of bringing it up. So then we're left with the film's other ideas, but they're ones already done in the previous films. In the end, it's nothing new. It's more of the same, but less interesting. And the dialogue is clunky as hell.

I can't say it's entirely disappointing, as I didn't really expect much more than what I got. From the moment I saw the first trailer, I wondered what the point of this movie was. MNS satisfying his desire for a cinematic universe. That's all it is, isn't it?

It's nicely shot, mind. And McAvoy is phemonenal.

• Upvote 1

I just watched this and really enjoyed it.  It may help that I loved Unbreakable.  I think when the twist came I was literally sitting in the cinema with my jaw dropped because I absolutely did not see it coming.  Not only that, it was a twist that fitted perfectly, and even before that hit, I still really enjoyed the film.  It was before he was known for everything he did having a twist it seemed, so no one went in thinking “what’s he going to do this time”, and it wasn’t spread about too much that there even was one.

I didn’t see Split till ages after it came out and by then I’d had the connection spoiled, which I was annoyed by although loved that they even went with it.  The pitch at the time was always that Unbreakable was basically the first act of a superhero film, and there were rumours of follow ups, but to pull it out so late after and from no where was pretty surprising.

As for Glass, I enjoyed it.  Though there was one thing I kind of thought of and hoped would have happened which would have been hilarious, though it’s probably better they didn’t go this way.  Spoilers as while it doesn’t happen, me saying it means you’d know not to expect it...

I thought what if the twist was that the Beast and Dunn’s powers were both in their head and really they were nothing special.  But they revealed this during the big showdown, which would have started with them throwing things around and smashing stuff up like they were superhuman, like this epic struggle between powerhouses.  Then it would be revealed in their heads and we’d see the reality, which would be them 2 basically flopping all over the place having the lamest fight in the world while all the guards looked on puzzled.

Other than that, I thought Macavoy and Jackson were brilliant, the way it tied things up was pretty satisfactory and generally it felt like a decent end to the story.  There were a few swerves at the end I liked, some that didn’t work quite so well, but not enough to drag things down,

• Upvote 4

This is 'out' now, for those who haven't seen it. 

I've yet to watch Unbreakable, so it will be a double bill for me this weekend. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Pavey said:

This is 'out' now, for those who haven't seen it. 

I've yet to watch Unbreakable, so it will be a double bill for me this weekend. 

Is the viewing Unbreakable, Split & then Glass?

I've not yet watched Split.

For all of Shyamalamaman's missteps, this trilogy of films has knocked it out of the park. I have loved every one. I was almost expecting to be let down by Glass, but 2hrs 10 minutes flew by. Cracking stuff.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Is the viewing Unbreakable, Split & then Glass?

I've not yet watched Split.

That’s correct. I have seen Split. 

I think (hope) you can see the first two in any order then the characters meet in Glass. Is that correct, those of you that have seen it?

2 minutes ago, Pavey said:

That’s correct. I have seen Split. 

I think (hope) you can see the first two in any order then the characters meet in Glass. Is that correct, those of you that have seen it?

The end of Split doesn't really make sense if you haven't seen Unbreakable

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

It's been a while I need to watch Unbreakable again.

Split is on UK Netflix.

It’s not a huge issue, it’s more like watching Marvel post credits and going “eh?”

Well I think the certain emotional hits Showaddywaddy could have made were missed and could have been something special if he had the chops. His callbacks to Unbreakable didn't work as well as they should and could have. 

So saying that Glass itself is just a rather marvellous mythical tale about heroes and villians and what it could mean if such things existed.  It's good, but it could have been Great. 

I still really fucking enjoyed it mind. Then again I'm not impartial to a Superhero tale. 

I was quite enjoying this until the last act when it sort of went a bit crap. Still, it was entertaining enough and McAvoy was brilliant again.

I'm a little confused as to whether they were the only three mutants or whatnot. If they were then why did that clandestine organisation exist? If they weren't then surely there would have been sightings of such people for centuries... and if there were others out there they could have given us a hint of the bigger picture.

Wasn't there a scene in Unbreakable where Willis' character has a dangerous-looking swimming pool encounter only to emerge from it absolutely a-ok? Wasn't the point of that to show he couldn't drown? Why didn't he resist the bloke who was dunking him in the puddle? Water being his kryptonite isn't an answer as he just punched his was out of a tank while underwater.

What was the point in the Stryker organisation (the anti-mutant brigade) trying to persuade them that they didn't have super powers? Were they just going to let them go if they agreed? And what exactly was Glass' "power" - being a bit clever?

Solid film until the end which definitely soured the film. Shyamalan just can't let go of his twists which he probably thought was awesome on paper but just doesn't work for me and it seems many others. 

Otherwise McAvoy was awesome, and Anne Taylor Joy:wub:

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I thought this was garbage.

I was actually angry at what he did with 

Reveal hidden contents

Dunn. Drowned in a puddle! Fuck ooooofffff! 

And another thing! I'm still mad at this film! It looked like shit! So many baffling shots in this, and ugly too.

"I know, instead of the traditional shot/shot-reverse for this convo with Anna Taylor-Joy and Sarah Paulson, I'll just fill 3/4 of the frame with the back of Sarah's head and hold it for like 4 mins. Yes. This is film-making."

Fuck ooofffffffffffffffffffff again!

• Downvote 1

This one was probably my least favourite of the three, but if you like the others, you'll find something to enjoy. Even if it's just spending more time with McAvoy's characters. A solid 6/10 to choose when you and someone else can't seem to agree on anything better.

They seem very inconsistent with how they portray certain abilities, but I suppose that can be said for most superhero movies.