rllmuk
Bleeders

M Night Shyamalan's Glass (2019)

I’ll still go see. The press has loved to hate this guy for years. Unbreakable - suddenly everyone’s on the bandwagon saying this is a lost gem and going crazy for a sequel, in M Nights Empire interview he made it clear the backlash at the time threw him completely 

9 hours ago, Goose said:

The review embargo is now lifted and the news isn't good. 

After a great opening it seems the film hits the breaks and never recovers. 

There's a shock....

I know I'm in the minority but I loved The Happening. But fundamentally Shamalyalien films too often veer over the edge of preposterous because they take themselves too seriously. The Happening was great because it was tonaly consistent throughout - B-Movie ridiculous from beginning to end. You can tell Marky Mark was loving it and played the part beautifully. I'm not taking the piss, I genuinely love this film and enjoyed it even more second time around. I do think it will be treated better in years to come. It's a film about the power of hysteria. 

But, yeah, in general his films are interesting but by the end I'm usually groaning at the sillyness. Split was great for the first 30 minutes but when the superpowers came in it robbed the movie of all suspense and interest in the character.

So the upshot is that I'll probably go see this but be disappointed.

The Village is the other one I quite like.

• Upvote 3

I went looking for the IMDB score and it's actually quite healthy, so looked at Signs while I was there, cos I absolutely love it, and its average score is much lower, however Roger Ebert gave it full marks and the summary "The work of a born filmmaker, able to summon apprehension out of thin air."

:wub: RIP that man

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

I know I'm in the minority but I loved The Happening. But fundamentally Shamalyalien films too often veer over the edge of preposterous because they take themselves too seriously. The Happening was great because it was tonaly consistent throughout - B-Movie ridiculous from beginning to end. You can tell Marky Mark was loving it and played the part beautifully. I'm not taking the piss, I genuinely love this film and enjoyed it even more second time around. I do think it will be treated better in years to come.

But, yeah, in general his films are interesting but by the end I'm usually groaning at the sillyness. Split was great for the first 30 minutes but when the superpowers came in it robbed the movie of all suspense and interest in the character.

So the upshot is that I'll probably go see this but be disappointed.

The Village is the other one I quite like.

100% agree. I laughed my ass off at The Happening, at the sheer nerve of the guy.

6 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I really enjoyed The Happening, but not because it was good. 

Well, define good. If you enjoyed it, then it's good. The argument has always been he didn't know what he was making and somehow the braying internet nerds savaged his lack of craft. For me it's a B movie, was always meant to be, I'm just amazed he had the stones to make it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, linkster said:

I went looking for the IMDB score and it's actually quite healthy, so looked at Signs while I was there, cos I absolutely love it, and its average score is much lower, however Roger Ebert gave it full marks and the summary "The work of a born filmmaker, able to summon apprehension out of thin air."

:wub: RIP that man

I think The Sixth Sense is probably thought of as his best movie, but I think Signs is my favourite.

Also, I haven’t seen it in years, but I seem to remember thinking Lady In The Water wasn’t that bad. There was just something about it. Might have to give it another watch.

• Upvote 1

He also took one of the best animated shows of all time and managed to suck all the life, wit and incredible action out of it, instead delivering a wretched, 100 minute borefest.. <_<

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MDY said:

He also took one of the best animated shows of all time and managed to suck all the life, wit and incredible action out of it, instead delivering a wretched, 100 minute borefest.. <_<

I started watching the animated series on Prime last night, really quite good isn't it?

• Upvote 2

Good? It's fucking phenomenal!

I watched bird box last night and i thought it was just a shitter version of the happening, the happening is one of the best comedies ever made. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, linkster said:

I started watching the animated series on Prime last night, really quite good isn't it?

It's exceptionally good.. The first few episodes skew a little young perhaps, but by the second season especially it can stand up there with any fantasy epic series out there.. it just keeps getting better too and (crucially) nails the landing at the end of Season 3 for a wonderful conclusion..

Another one here really looking forward to it. I've liked all his movies so far, even the ones supposedly not so hot, maybe i'm blinkered a little.

Bizarrely haven't seen Unbreakable (or Blade Runner), that's my plan for this weekend.

9 hours ago, Pavey said:

Bizarrely haven't seen Unbreakable (or Blade Runner), that's my plan for this weekend.

Well then I’d say you were in for a very good weekend.

• Upvote 2

His first 3 films I think are great. I enjoyed Sixth Sense, Unbrekable and Signs. I even thought the village had a really good twist. After that though, I'm afraid it just went off a cliff for me. I think since The Village I probably enjoyed The Visit the most. I'll watch Glass, more out of curiosity but I'll be waiting till home release.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

His first 3 films I think are great. I enjoyed Sixth Sense, Unbrekable and Signs. I even thought the village had a really good twist. After that though, I'm afraid it just went off a cliff for me. I think since The Village I probably enjoyed The Visit the most. I'll watch Glass, more out of curiosity but I'll be waiting till home release.

I was lucky enough to be at Disney in this period and I worked on the release of all three of these films. 

Weird little bit of trivia for ya. Sixth Sense wasn't his first film. He made a really shitty catholic comedy called Wide Awake starring Rosie O Donell and Denis Leary. Disney bought it and buried it so as not to damage the chances of the Sixth Sense, which they knew was something really special even at early script stage. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

Depends which one he watches ;)

Haha! It’s funny you should say that. As I wrote that post it reminded me of your views on BR and I wondered if you’d comment :)

33 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Haha! It’s funny you should say that. As I wrote that post it reminded me of your views on BR and I wondered if you’d comment :)

I can't not comment now. 

On 10/01/2019 at 11:32, linkster said:

Well, define good. If you enjoyed it, then it's good.

By that rationale The Room, Battlefield Earth and the Wicker Man remake are also good. They aren't, they're dreadful films, but I enjoyed them because they were a special kind of dreadful. Just like The Happening. Nobody can intentionally make a brilliant awful film, they come about as a special blend of circumstance and incompetence.

3 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

By that rationale The Room, Battlefield Earth and the Wicker Man remake are also good. They aren't, they're dreadful films, but I enjoyed them because they were a special kind of dreadful. Just like The Happening. Nobody can intentionally make a brilliant awful film, they come about as a special blend of circumstance and incompetence.

No that just means you are a masochist 

The Happening doesn’t belong in that company because neither does the guy who made it

Probably more interesting that it is good, but boy did it keep my attention. A worthwhile answer to the question “what does Unbreakable have to tell us in the fictional universe superhero era” which is all you can ask for really.

Spoiler

That third act swerve nearly killed it for me but the character payoffs that came out of it worked.

On 10/01/2019 at 11:32, linkster said:

Well, define good. If you enjoyed it, then it's good. 

This doesn't hold up bro. By that metric absolutely no films can be bad, because there'll be someone who likes it. There are films that are bad by almost every metric that you can still like. I like Masters of the Universe. I love I, Madman.  And Class of 1999.

They're not good films. In fact, they are objectively bad films by most metrics (acting, plotting, character, credibility etc). 

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

This doesn't hold up bro. By that metric absolutely no films can be bad, because there'll be someone who likes it. There are films that are bad by almost every metric that you can still like. I like Masters of the Universe. I love I, Madman.  And Class of 1999.

They're not good films. In fact, they are objectively bad films by most metrics (acting, plotting, character, credibility etc). 

Yeah I get that it's a personal thing, hence referencing stuff like The Room. Or Mamma Mia! There are countless awful movies out there - god knows someone must like shit like Five Headed Shark - but I don't count myself among those who enjoy genuinely bad movies, whereas plenty movies I like are deemed guilty pleasures and I just think fuck that.

Just back from seeing this. Way better than I was expecting. Easily my favourite of his since Unbreakable. This comes as a huge surprise to me as I was pretty much dragged to see this, as I haven’t liked any of his films since Unbreakable (which I loved). Thought Signs and Split were OK, but I’d long since given up hope on him making a good film again. It’s quite a weird film, and goes in a different direction than many might expect, but that’s what I really liked about it. Looking at the reviews I may be own my own here, but for me this is definitely a return to form.

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

Superhero sequels are often about doubt but who spends a second act debunking the existence of superheroes?

I feel like I need to rewatch this with a notepad. Lots wrong with it but it’s fascinating. And very nice looking.

• Upvote 1

One thing that bugged me was 

Dr Staple talks of when one superhero appears, another opposite one also appears. David Dunn was 'created' at the same time as Kevin due to the train crash. If that's so, who would be 'good' opposite for Elijah? It could be possible that the Cloverleaf team had already dealt with the good version of Elijah but I was expecting another twist.

Other than that I really enjoyed it and cannot understand why it's getting so much of a kicking from the critics. I don't think I've seen one good review yet.

• Upvote 2