Bleeders

M Night Shyamalan's Glass (2019)

10 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

One thing that bugged me was 

Reveal hidden contents

Dr Staple talks of when one superhero appears, another opposite one also appears. David Dunn was 'created' at the same time as Kevin due to the train crash. If that's so, who would be 'good' opposite for Elijah? It could be possible that the Cloverleaf team had already dealt with the good version of Elijah but I was expecting another twist.

Other than that I really enjoyed it and cannot understand why it's getting so much of a kicking from the critics. I don't think I've seen one good review yet.

Mark Kermode enjoyed it.

Signs is brilliant once you apply the theory that:

Spoiler

They really are demons, not aliens, and the water that hurts them is holy water. The key is spotting the little girl ask her dad (a priest) for a glass of water after seeing a demon, right near the start. She's asking for it not because she's thirsty, but because it'll be blessed and she wants to defend herself. 

That also explains why the creatures aren't being burned to shit by humidity. It's actually very clever! 

• Upvote 3

I think Unbreakable had a similar reception. It’s going to age well. (I re-watched Unbreakable after watching Split last weekend and I appreciated it a lot more than the first few times a decade ago.)

I saw this last night and thought it's great, McAvoys acting is outstanding and that 2 hour run time felt like 90 minutes, the first film I've seen in ages where I'm not wondering what the time is three quarters of the way though. 

• Upvote 2

On 27/04/2017 at 17:32, Mr Hatfield said:

it was shit. Plain shit, frankly.

Absolute dogshit. I was embarrassed while I was watching it, and I was watching it by myself. The only positive is that I now say “et thetera” with a grin and frankly that doesn’t buy back the time I spent watching it. The acting is terrible, the plot is hacky as is the writing and the premise pisses me off. Split personalities only exist in movies. I know, I know, people who are invincible also only exist in movies but for some reason I can suspend my disbelief for that. 

I am incredibly anxious at the moment because my girlfriend (who likes rubbish films) can’t wait to go see the new one and I just know that my post-bad-movie-cunt sub-personality is going to come out and ruin a perfectly nice date night. 

Yeah, we saw this yesterday. It was...ok. McAvoy was great, but it just kinda meanders and goes nowhere. I preferred both Unbreakable and Split to this.