Bleeders

M Night Shyamalan's Glass (2019)

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

I didn't mind the one in the lift particularly.

Although clearly it didn't leave much of an impression as all I can remember is the lift and someone being the devil?

He didn't direct Devil. It was all the better for it imho. He's the worst "big name" director in the world. And I include Michael Bay on that list. At least he knows he's making shit.

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

He didn't direct Devil. It was all the better for it imho. He's the worst "big name" director in the world. And I include Michael Bay on that list. At least he knows he's making shit.

Ridley Scott says hi 

• Empathy 1

20 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Ridley Scott says “Hi, I’m Ridley Scott.  I made Alien and Blade Runner, which automatically buy me a pass to make anything the fuck I like for the rest of my life and I’ll still have made two more classic films than pretty much every other director out there, so fuck you”.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

And boy did he use that privilege to make some utter shit.

Oh, and Blade Runner is rubbish. As I may have mentioned. You should have said the Duellists 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

9 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

And boy did he use that privilege to make some utter shit.

Oh, and Blade Runner is rubbish. As I may have mentioned. You should have said the Duellists 

I thought you weren't going to mention that again :D

Blade Runner is superb. Ridley Scott isn't a perfect director, I mean he is no Stanley Kubrick, but he has two blindingly brilliant points of light on his cv. Beyond that he had some notable big budget winners as well and then his career tailed off a bit. And that latter tailing off occurred after the guy turned 70. You can forgive some dulling of that creative edge surely? Then again just saw the Martian recently and that's pretty damned good and he was 78 when he made that.

M Night Shyalaman is a one trick pony and the one trick wasn't that good the first time round. I don't agree that he is worse than Michael Bay though, no one deserves that sort of abuse.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Bay has made some uttershit but I have a soft spot for Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon and would rewatch them over rewatching any MNS movie.

Hmmmmmmmmm I had forgotten that he had done those two.

For hilarious OTT blockbusters both of those past muster (The Rock more so) so that is a good point. Although he almost drops marks because he is playing both those movies dead straight whereas the entertainment comes from laughing at how overblown and ridiculous they are.

That moment when Connery says "Welcome to the The Rock" is a combination of appalling acting and such stagey direction that it makes me laugh out loud everytime I see it.

But yes MNS hasn't produced anything as entertaining as either of those, I mean that one where Marky Mark is troulbed by wind??? I still don't know why I watched that.

• Downvote 1

On 02/07/2018 at 19:37, Clipper said:

I mean that one where Marky Mark is troulbed by wind??? I still don't know why I watched that.

My wife told me it was good, I've never let her live it down since. Although to be fair to her she did realise her mistake eventually 

"OH NO THE WIIIIIIIIND"

I thought The Visit was really good and that was written and directed by him. The Village was one I quite enjoyed too. I feel though that he's almost become a genre of himself and having to have a massive twist in all his films is a bit detrimental. The Sixth Sense is still a really good film. Devil's a perfect film for me (he didn't direct it though).  I think he's had more hits than misses.

Looking at his Wiki he wrote Stuart Little - I didn't realise that. I really hated After Earth and The Happening was good for the first ten minutes or so until the main characters turned up. I liked the idea of it but it was just hilariously bad and so full of plot holes that my suspension of disbelief was so heavy, I couldn't hold it.

He gets a free pass for his hits from me. Signs was creepy and interesting. I haven't seen all his films but the ones I have seen, I've mostly enjoyed.

• Upvote 3

I've only seen The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Split, and I thought all three were perfectly decent films with a few memorable moments in each of them. 

From this small sample I don't really get why he'd be in the running for the worst director in Hollywood. He seems to be able to build tension well and gets good performances out of people. Maybe I need to watch a few more to really understand his reputation.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MechE said:

I've only seen The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Split, and I thought all three were perfectly decent films with a few memorable moments in each of them. 

From this small sample I don't really get why he'd be in the running for the worst director in Hollywood. He seems to be able to build tensions well and gets good performances out of people. Maybe I need to watch a few more to really understand his reputation.

It's because @kerraig UK is jealous ;)

• Upvote 2

Amazed me how much some podcast reviewers flipped out over how Split's ending tied into Unbreakable, saying it was one of the greatest endings ever. I cared less about the film as it went on. 

I liked The Village. I really like the setup, it has fantastic cinematography and good performances. It came out at the point people were weary of Night's tendency for twists and kind of gets forgotten as it sits between his earlier more loved films and his later laughable ones. 

i think there was reason to do the film as he did, i like the mystery and suspense. Pretty simple and grounded in the end, which i prefer to the supernatural. 

It might be really boring to re watch it now, though. 

• Upvote 1

I liked Unbreakable enough to give it a chance, Split less so as the multiple personality gimmick wore a bit thin. Seeing Dunn in full "hero" guise in the trailer was entertaining.

The whole psychoanalyst treating people with delusions that they are superheroes shtick seems a bit weak, given that two of them are clearly supervillains, and the other could demonstrate his actual indestructibly with the aid of a standard cutlery draw.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

The whole psychoanalyst treating people with delusions that they are superheroes shtick seems a bit weak, given that two of them are clearly supervillains, and the other could demonstrate his actual indestructibly with the aid of a standard cutlery draw.

Wasn't his weakness water?  Maybe drank a cup by mistake.

On 21/07/2018 at 19:39, monkeydog said:

Wasn't his weakness water? 

I think you've just cracked the "twist". Bruce Willis turns out to be one of the aliens from Signs.

• Upvote 2

On 02/07/2018 at 19:29, Stigweard said:

Bay has made some uttershit but I have a soft spot for Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon and would rewatch them over rewatching any MNS movie.

"I'm only borrowing your Humvee!"

The Rock is just a brilliantly ridiculous film. I love it. 

The review embargo is now lifted and the news isn't good. 

After a great opening it seems the film hits the breaks and never recovers.