What Remains of Edith Finch

Majora

1 hour ago, denisb said:

I played this over the weekend and absolutely loved it . I’ve just finished fire watch which was equally awesome .

any more similar games for me to try on game pass preferably 

but switch or PS5 also 

Virginia

Gone Home

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

The Stanley Parable

Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture

Virginia and Ethan Carter were monumentally boring. The latter is only supposed to be a few hours long but I was so glad when it was over. Playing felt like a chore.

Gone Home is absolutely lovely though. I think that game spoiled other "walking simulators" for me, as it was the first of the genre I played.

16 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Virginia and Ethan Carter were monumentally boring. The latter is only supposed to be a few hours long but I was so glad when it was over. Playing felt like a chore.

Gone Home is absolutely lovely though. I think that game spoiled other "walking simulators" for me, as it was the first of the genre I played.

I think it pretty much was the first of the genre, so it sounds like it was a 'one and done' for you 🙂

I didn't love Virginia as I felt the jump cuts took too much agency and exploration away, but I liked Ethan Carter a lot.

Soma is brilliant if you are prepared to admit a bit of stealth gameplay (in fact I think there is an option to turn that off now) and you aren't a scaredy-cat.

The Magnificent Trufflepigs is a narrative based walking game. Well part metal detector sim and romantic story. Its different! (Switch)

Its made by the same team that brought us Everyone's Gone To The Rapture (which is well worth experiencing). 

41 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I think it pretty much was the first of the genre,

Good lord no. Not by a long way. Even Dear Esther was 5 years older. 

Gone Home - 2013

Thirty Flights of Loving - 2012

Stanley Parable - 2011

Dear Esther - 2008

Passage - 2007

Deus Ex Machina - 1984

25 minutes ago, MattyP said:

The Magnificent Trufflepigs is a narrative based walking game. Well part metal detector sim and romantic story. Its different! (Switch)

Its made by the same team that brought us Everyone's Gone To The Rapture (which is well worth experiencing). 

And @noob was music advisor :)

Dear Esther was only released commercially in 2012 (and it's great).

I also really enjoyed Kona, has a few more adventure game elements than some of the others and a mild survival mechanic, but is very compact, well-told story in a single location, nice bleak Canadian wooded setting.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Good lord no. Not by a long way. Even Dear Esther was 5 years older. 

Gone Home - 2013

Thirty Flights of Loving - 2012

Stanley Parable - 2011

Dear Esther - 2008

Passage - 2007

Deus Ex Machina - 1984

Yeah, probably I was mixing it up with Dear Esther.

23 hours ago, df0 said:

Very short one (2 hours max), Gone Home. Less intricate, but neat nonetheless.

Thanks for the reminder about Gone Home, I need to go back to it. I recall it made me feel nauseous, but it had a great atmosphere. 

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

I did not know that! I loved EGTTR, will have to wish list Trufflepigs now. 

• 6 months later...

Saw this was leaving gamepass and even though I have this on multiple platforms, decided to finally give it a go on Xbox.

I don't know if I'd call this a game but as an experience it was fantastic. Flawed but some standout moments. Lewis and Gregory will stay with me for a while, I think. If you have gamepass, it only takes a few hours and is on the service till August 31st.

Haha funny to see this thread on the first page. Also noticed this was leaving Gamepass so decided to see what it was like, 3 hours later and that's me finished it as I was gripped by it. Never really played one of these type of games before but that was really quite something. 

Lewis' story with the monotonous job and getting lost in his imagination is frightfully very relatable....