rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

X-Men - Dark Phoenix

Went on a whim yesterday. It's a bit dull, isn't it? And a bit shit. Can't remember a superhero film that is as lowkey or simply bumbling through the motions. There are some relatively interesting ideas (absorption of a cosmic power and how it might affect a fragile, but powerful, mind) but the actual result is some bikes get knocked over and a helicopter gets pulped. And some sub-par aliens show up to do something or other. The stakes never feel anything other than shrug-inducing.

Makes me appreciate even more just how right Marvel gets (most) things. Be interested to see what they do with the X-Men now or if they'll just cool them off for a time while they focus on The Eternals.

Just watched this and while it’s not a bad film it’s not a great film either, we have been watching loads of MCU films and I can’t think of one of those was worse than this..

4 minutes ago, Waggo said:

The Incredible Hulk & Thor 2 spring straight to mind as worse MCU films.

I didn’t mind Hulk but prolly give you Thor 2 but I prefer the characters and actors even in that so....

Spoiler

The film is nowhere near as bad as some reviews are suggesting IMO but it’s just very formulaic, even the end fight seemed to play out like a classic video game with a few skirmishes leading up to the end boss who of course has a second wind - I know many films do that esp in the MCU but there are no characters in this, no humour or great music to help the film tick along. It just is, it’s not bad it just seems like it has a tick list of things to do and does them with no panache or surprises, even the death of some great characters was a bit meh - no big send off or emotion at all, I was an emotional wreck during End Game but nothing in this.

I dunno, maybe it’s because I’ve just seen it but it just felt flat, not bad just meh.

The worst X-Men film of them all in my opinion, because it didn't have even one redeeming thing about it. Even the really bad ones had something...this had absolutely nothing.

Finally got around to this. The movie wasn't good, but what really caught my attention was the music. It felt like there was this sort of doom-laden-epic piece playing constantly on a loop for the second half or whatever. It started to grate.

On 30/06/2019 at 23:49, Skull Commander said:

I have to agree this was a bit shit. There was a good film in it somewhere but between the dull story and Sophie Turner's awful acting it was doomed. 

I still think Magneto/Charles dynamic was good.  And they painted a greyer version of Professor X than previous versions have.  That was interesting.

Magneto was suitably deadly in it.  I liked that.

Mostly pish though.

So I've just finished watching this on a plane and, even though I liked Apocalypse, this was just trash, wasn't it? And not even mildly entertaining trash. It was so boring, the nameless villains were rubbish and nobody got a chance to do anything fun or exciting. 

Shame the series has gone out on such a whimper, the first 2 films showed some real promise. 

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Shame the series has gone out on such a whimper, the first 2 films showed some real promise. 

I think the second one is especially strong.  The realisation of Nightcrawler's abilities during the attack on the White House is one of my favourite super hero moments ever.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I meant the first 2 films of this * ew' series - the first 2 of the original trilogy are very good, yes (2 is of course fantastic). 

This just had so many problems, not least Turner.

They have the other films on this flight and I still have hours to go so I might watch First Class and DoFP again. Maybe even Apocalypse too, if I have time :D