rllmuk
robdood

I don't care if you hate Jim Sterling. You should watch the Jimquisition.

17 minutes ago, Wroth said:

There are a lot of people who have their pc game library almost entirely on steam, and want to keep it that way.

And some people are acting like Epic fucked their mum, wiped their cock on the curtains and told them to make a fucking sandwich.

The point of this video is partly to rail against Epic but also to rail against the abysmal way Shenmue III was funded. I kind of agree with that bit of the video, but then I didn't back it and won't buy it so my opinion is a bit moot.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Wroth said:

There are a lot of people who have their pc game library almost entirely on steam, and want to keep it that way.

Sometimes I have to go to places other than Aldi to do my weekly food shop. It's not ideal, but if I want it, I'll have to go there.

Same thing 

It's more like if Tesco bought the exclusivity of Jaffa cakes. But Sainsbury's is a nicer experience and has amenities you might use. Tesco is a horrible wasteland with no toilet. 

Weird people are defending a move that'll solely give money to shareholders. 

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Wanting a tidy list of games is probably the worst reason to support what has basically become a monopoly.

Particularly as the new version of the GOG app promises to display all your games in one place anyway.

I dunno I'm new to PC gaming, but I really don't get the multi launcher hate. Its an extra click or two - who the fcuk cares?

14 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Particularly as the new version of the GOG app promises to display all your games in one place anyway.

I dunno I'm new to PC gaming, but I really don't get the multi launcher hate. Its an extra click or two - who the fcuk cares?

I’m fine with multiple launchers.  It’s the disparity in features that I use that can get annoying. Even more so when one of the stores ties up exclusivity on a game I want to play.   So for me game save sync is really annoying and it stops me playing on more than one pc. I’m tied to one at a time.  Is it going to destroy gaming for me?  No.   Does it stop me playing how I want to play?  Yup.  That’s enough for me to get pissed with the exclusivity stuff. 

4 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I’m fine with multiple launchers.  It’s the disparity in features that I use that can get annoying. Even more so when one of the stores ties up exclusivity on a game I want to play.   So for me game save sync is really annoying and it stops me playing on more than one pc. I’m tied to one at a time.  Is it going to destroy gaming for me?  No.   Does it stop me playing how I want to play?  Yup.  That’s enough for me to get pissed with the exclusivity stuff. 

Are there really many essential features though?  I mean I like the fact that Steam lets me play old PC games with controller support but other than that is there anything else that would bother me?  I didn't even know that there was a game save sync but then again I only have one PC that is gaming capable so why would I?  I can live without trading cards and achievements.  And lets face it the Steam client itself looks dated and well nothing impressive.

Epic certainly endeared themselves to me by giving me free games every week but really I care little who sells me the game or whether I need to have another launcher installed.  User experience is largely identical whether the game is on Steam, Epic store, Origin, Uplay, Bethesda or GOG.  I just click in a different place.

For most Steam gives nothing particularly essential so I give precisely no fcuks which app its on.  And I'm inclined to prefer a better revenue split for developers if this is the choice |I'm presented with...

• Upvote 1

To be fair to Jim, he's using this to make the wider point that Kickstarters are getting pretty dodgy. They can promise you anything to get the cash, yet change any one of those promises on a whim.

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

It's an extra account, an extra 2-step verification faff, an extra company that has my credit card or my paypal, another store with another layout. 

Also there's a sense of... not exactly pride... but feeling like you built a Steam library over the last 15 years. It's a bit weird to have nearly all your games in one convenient and familiar place, then have to remember which particular 3 or 4 games had to be bought from another store instead.

• Empathy 2

Jeez...it’s a good job PC gamers don’t have to buy every console each generation too or I could see there being suicides :-(

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

Yeah because nobody upgrades their PC every 4-5 years. 

I think you’ve missed the point. I was referring to having to use different accounts, input your payment details multiple times and having to have your games in different places. 

9 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Also there's a sense of... not exactly pride... but feeling like you built a Steam library over the last 15 years. It's a bit weird to have nearly all your games in one convenient and familiar place, then have to remember which particular 3 or 4 games had to be bought from another store instead.

You mean a virtual library that could disappear if Steam went down the pan

I get frustrated with Sterling sometimes but his E3 Winners and Losers video is absolutely on point. Especially about the hecklers.

• Upvote 3

On 13/06/2019 at 17:50, Matt Defis said:

Yeah because nobody upgrades their PC every 4-5 years. 

The upgrade you have to do is a minor one, it usually boils down to buying a new GPU. I got a GTX1060 and its 2 years old if I remember correctly. I can run most games on max and it still performs better than the current consoles. When the time comes, I will buy a 2080 or something similar, and it will still be cheaper than getting a new console :sherlock:

It makes its point in the first few minutes then repeats it constantly in waffle for another 36, just to save everyone some time.

• Upvote 1

I wish he wouldn’t do that irritating high pitched mocking voice. It makes me want to claw my ears from my head.

But fair point. EA have got some fucking balls huh

• Empathy 1

On 12/06/2019 at 21:33, Shoes said:

Weird people are defending a move that'll solely give money to shareholders. 

Part of a publisher's job is to try to minimise risk as well as maximise return. Now, it's possible that Deep Silver have just had a positive experience signing previous games to EGS so have gone back to milk that cash cow again. But it's also possible that Ys need to explore every avenue to get the game over the finish line.

If you think that the ~$6m raised by the Kickstarter is enough on its own to fund the development of a game of this scope.... um, it isn't.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

But it's also possible that Ys need to explore every avenue to get the game over the finish line.

"we must agree to this exclusivity deal in order to finish this game!"

I guess it's possible.

Well it's had its development time extended multiple times now, so hardly out of the realms of possibility. Developers can't work for free and office rent, etc has to be paid for all that extra time too.

The original estimated delivery date was Dec 2017, and they will finally get it out of the door by Nov 2019, so who funded the extra nearly 2 years of fulltime development?

It's not as if they're still a purely self-funded indie team. Deep Silver is publishing it, so the funding for the delay will have worked like any other game with a publisher, I expect. 

Which is why some games have to get pushed out of the door when they run out of money, but this has had an extra ~2 years of full development that has been paid for by somebody and now has had another time extension too, paid for by somebody, maybe the Epic reach-around for the latest extension they got.

30 minute video on how developers deliberately targets addicts. 

Seriously, fuck that CEO from Tribeflame and the rest of the AAA industry. 

• Upvote 2

One of the more inisidious techniques enumerated by that CEO sleazeball was the peer pressure one - where you make sure that everyone knows when their friends are spending money to normalize it through peer pressure. Then I fire up Clash Royale, who just this very day introduced a season pass - which when you buy puts a big banner in clan chat, and makes your name shine in gold!

• Upvote 3

There is a problem with aggressive monetisation targeting people with poor self control. FIFA Ultimate Team, Game of War / Mobile Strike, CS:GO and (although I'm not sure to the same extent or as blatantly) Fortnite are clear examples of this. I think it's in everyone's interests for publishers to take it seriously to avoid legislation treating games like gambling (which they legally are not) and constraining how they can be designed, marketed or monetised too broadly.

I echo Sterling's disgust at that entirely awful and dishonest Polygon EA Sports PR-wank piece.

But Sterling paints the picture that all game 'developers' (he uses the term interchangeably with 'publishers' and 'companies') are financially stable by default, every game makes a fortune, and that all games can (or could) be profitable as stand alone single purchase full price console games.*

The entire battle royale genre (which can only exist as a commercial proposition because 10,000s of concurrent players can 'pay' by turning up and participating to populate matches) flatly contradicts his thesis. It is a net positive for the industry that burning a game on a disc and paying a small fortune on console bureaucracy is no longer the only route to market. That play-it-once-and-trade-it-in is no longer the only option, and now we can have games that grow over time (even though only a few of them have managed to get it right so far).

Nor is it remotely true that every game that has ever included MTX or loot boxes is targeting whales. Candy Crush isn't for one - they'd rather get a huge audience to occassionally throw in a few $$$ than target niches. Most 'AAA' games where cosmetic MTX have been tacked on aren't betting on a 1% of players coming along and spending thousands, they're just trying to eke out the game's life and lower their risk in a more cost effective way than commissioning massive monolithic DLC packs. They're essentially digital merch.

I laughed at Sterling trying to head off complaints that his rants are designed to farm outrage clicks. I'm sure he does feel strongly about this subject but I'm sure anti-vaxx protesters are passionate as well. Having a strong opinion about something isn't a substitute for understanding how it works, nor does it make one's approach (of boiling a complex problem down to us-and-them with a clear pantomime villain to boo at) helpful for developers who already face constant negativity from an ill-informed and entitled subset of the audience.

* His argument is generally 'why can't the business model that worked for the subset of games that he (and his audience) was aware of as a teenager still work today now that literally every aspect of the technology and consumer expectations has changed dramatically?' a.k.a. 'Why don't Sega want to make a Dreamcast 2, everyone I know would buy one'.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1