Playing Pokemon Go makes people happier and more social

A study of 400 people, including 160 who play Pokemon Go regularly has shown that it has a positive impact on people's mood and amount of social interaction. Nice to have a positive finding for the impact of gaming, and one that fits anecdotal evidence of increased activity and enjoyment amongst players. Is this kind of thing, with interaction with the environment, the future of gaming?

I hope it's one aspect. I've only been playing 2 weeks (I took a 2 year hiatus from buying data) and I'm hooked. I'm walking an extra mile a day with the dogs just to hit 4 extra stops, not to mention finding players at work who contribute to keeping our gym blue. 

It has knock on effects for our kids. They're always look up the Pokemon almanac thing we have to see what did evolves into next, which is teaching them how to use an index, if nothing else.

My kids love pokemon, but we haven't let them try Go yet. They are mainly playing Zelda BOTW as one loves catching and riding the horses and the other loves foraging and cooking :D

Yeah we've touched on this in the Pokemon Go thread quite a bit. It's not a great game technically (by any stretch!) but I think it's very special in the way it can change people's lives.

My friend and I make a podcast and we tackled Pokemon Go on out latest episode. For anyone who fancies a listen: http://harkendarv.tumblr.com/post/159220299613/pokemon-gone

We came at it from to very different angles, but I tried to touch on the social and positive aspects as much as I could :).