Jump to content

Nintendo 3DS / 3DS XL - Late to the party but i want one


Recommended Posts

I suddenly feel the need to get one of the above but I have no idea about them. Shocking i know. Laugh at the noob

 

I'm looking at the XL but just want to tap the forums experience with them

 

Were any N64 games released for the 3DS? Zelda / Goldeneye/Mario 64/Mario Kart? Officially or unofficially?

 

Are they backwards compatible with DS games?

 

The ZxSpectrum emulator seems to be very popular - is it a world of pain to make the 3DS 'special'? I've had a quick look at a beginners guide to make it special but it looks like a nightmare. I presume some sort of flash cart is required?

 

Is the XL the best one or apart from screen size there is no real difference?

 

Rank outsider - I've seen the 2DS go for around £35 - £45 on Facebook, are they terrible?

 

Cheers all :)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

N64 games? There's 3DS remakes of Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but nothing else really. I think.

 

The 3DS is backwards compatible, yes.

 

If you're going for a 3DS or 3DS XL, I strongly recommended going for the New versions, as the 3D effect is far improved. Extra shoulder buttons and a second mini-thumbstick are helpful too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alternative opinion: The 2DS is ideal for you.

 

From your brief description above, you don't need 3D at all. There are only a handful of games that make use of the extra thumbstick, and while I wouldn't be without my Circle Pad Pro XL for Monster Hunter, I've seen plenty of people manage perfectly adequately without one. There are some VC titles that require a New 3DS to get from the store, but if you're looking at homebrew/emulation you actually want the oldest system firmware you can find in order to install all that stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are great. I was also late to the party and got a New 3DS XL shortly before the newest Pokémon release. I went crazy and bought about 8 games with it too.

 

Sadly, i haven't been playing on it at all as of late - too much Destiny. I've been contemplating selling it which i may do rather than see it gather dust any longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Alternative opinion: The 2DS is ideal for you.

 

From your brief description above, you don't need 3D at all. There are only a handful of games that make use of the extra thumbstick, and while I wouldn't be without my Circle Pad Pro XL for Monster Hunter, I've seen plenty of people manage perfectly adequately without one. There are some VC titles that require a New 3DS to get from the store, but if you're looking at homebrew/emulation you actually want the oldest system firmware you can find in order to install all that stuff.

Unless things have drastically changed, the old 3DS/2DS doesn't really do much emulation very well, it just doesn't have the horsepower. The New models have a much faster cpu. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, deerokus said:

Unless things have drastically changed, the old 3DS/2DS doesn't really do much emulation very well, it just doesn't have the horsepower. The New models have a much faster cpu. 

And for someone who isn't interested in emulation hackery stuff or in using the 3D functionality? But, for example, mostly interested in the SMT/Atlus JRPGs and stuff like Bravely Default?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an XL and love it. One game I personally adore and feel gets a bit of a rough time is Ridge Racer 3d. I have a good bunch of games, Luigi, 3D land, etc etc but the 3DS game I've put the most hours into is RR3D. Playing it now in fact. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And for someone who isn't interested in emulation hackery stuff or in using the 3D functionality? But, for example, mostly interested in the SMT/Atlus JRPGs and stuff like Bravely Default?

In that case just get whatever is cheapest or most comfortable really!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It has a great library of games. A few games like "A Link Between Worlds" have really good 3D and the New 3DS range is great for that.

 

The 2DS is a bargain, but of course no 3D. My son has one and it's really comfortable.

 

I'm enjoying SteamWorld Heist on it right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, amc said:

Got an XL and love it. One game I personally adore and feel gets a bit of a rough time is Ridge Racer 3d. I have a good bunch of games, Luigi, 3D land, etc etc but the 3DS game I've put the most hours into is RR3D. Playing it now in fact. 

 

Ridge is glorious on the n3ds. I completed it on the original but always felt the tight viewing angle spoilt the experience slightly. On the n3ds tho it's absolutely rock solid. Like a new title almost. It does such a superb job of showing off the 3D effect.

 

Would adore a sequel (obviously no chance) or a new Switch version.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The New 3DS XL is the one to go for if you're interested in the 3D effect (and you should be as it's pretty sweet). The older 3DS models have a very narrow sweetspot, while the New 3DS does headtracking and adjusts accordingly. It really makes a huge difference.

 

While it may not be the hottest tech in the world, there are some great games on the 3DS. The only seriously missing franchises are Advance Wars and a proper Metroid, but at least there's some Fire Emblem and Cave Story+ (eShop version) goodness to make up for it. Two wicked Phoenix Wright games too. Get in!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pros of a New 3DS XL:

 

Snappier UI, better performance for many games, 3D that works as intended, great homebrew emulation options for old home and arcade systems

 

Pros of a 2DS:

 

Super comfortable and light (no grip required), arguably better for some DS / DSi games thanks to its flat form factor. Game Boy / GBA virtual console games arguably feel more natural on 2DS than any other model. This is the clear winner for ergonomics.

 

I use both models as they fill different niches. 2DS is a hell of a lot cheaper though, so if it's just a collection of cartridges you're eying up to play and you don't really don't care about emulation just go for a 2DS, though Snes9X and VirtuaNES both run superbly, seeing as they're properly optimised for the old 3DS model.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.