IGNORED

The Sexy Brutale

Revival

20 hours ago, dood said:

It's more like Ghost Trick. 

Is it actually like Ghost Trick, i.e. a delightfully written story filled with great characters and with a decent set of puzzles to go with it? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Played the prologue and the first murder, really like the style, graphics and music are lovely. Started the next case and am confused as hell, but I get that I'll have to do a lot of snooping around to around to figure out what is going on!

I've played this for an hour or so now and really don't know what I'm doing, to be honest. The game doesn't do an especially good job of explaining things. I did the prologue murder and then the next one (the couple with the spider) pretty much by accident.

Now I'm trying to stop a woman from hanging herself with a bell. I've found a bone charm that I've successfully 'sated', although to what end I'm not sure, and since then I've just been wandering in circles, trying to find something or someone to interact with.

And I must have missed it at the start when the blood witch lady was explaining things, but why can't I be in the same room as another person, although I can be once I've stopped the murder?

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

And I must have missed it at the start when the blood witch lady was explaining things, but why can't I be in the same room as another person, although I can be once I've stopped the murder?

I think its because the masks are controlling the people, so when the death is stopped and the mask gets removed, its all good. I'm confused as well, but someone said it took a while to click with them. 

Lots of wondering around trying to figure out what's going on. It doesn't matter if you die /run out of time so wonder around - interact with stuff etc. If you run out of stuff to do/see and have no idea still try following somone as their interactions may unlock Somthing. 

I'm only about 3 hours in myself. Each new area is a new puzzle to explore and figure out... When I got to a new area it was the perfect opportunity for me to stop playing... That was a few months back 

I played for a couple of hours more tonight and am up to the final guest already.

It's a decidedly odd game, this. Initially it presents itself kind of like a mix between Cluedo and Groundhog Day, or maybe an inverted version of Hitman (in that you're stopping assassinations in creative ways, not causing them) both of which sound excellent, but there's not really much substance to it at all. Each murder is prevented quickly and easily once you figure out (or, more typically, overhear) the one or sometimes two things you have to do to thwart the killers, then it's just a matter of hanging about until you're able to put your plans into place. Unlike Hitman, however, there only seems to be one way to complete each level; you're extremely limited in the things that you can interact with, so success is only achieved if you follow a short series of prescribed time-sensitive actions, with no flexibility and little agency for the player. I can't see how it would have any replay value whatsoever.

It's also pretty choppy, especially in transitions from one room to the next, which is something that happens a lot. I've experienced big framerate dips, clipping, audio skipping and texture pop-in, and this is playing on PS4 Pro. The Switch version must be nearly unplayable if it's a lot worse than this, which is apparently the case.

The music and art style are good, and the overall premise of the game is unusual and interesting, but I am finding myself quite underwhelmed by it. I'd have liked a lot more freedom, creativity and challenge: a sprawling, interconnected mansion, bursting with secrets and a breadcrumb trail of intricate clues leading you to prevent murders and uncover the assailant. Instead, this feels and is laid out like a touch-screen tablet game, an adventure-lite.

I felt the same. I thought the sound design was excellent, the premise is intriguing and there are some memorable moments in there. But the gameplay is paper thin and based almost entirely around trial and error and just being in the right place at the right time. 

The ending is quite interesting although very wordy. It's worth a playthrough on the cheap but it didn't entirely convince me.

Just finished this, an in game hour from my last post above. I thought the ending was crap - a load of exposition with very little interaction that didn't make a huge amount of sense to me.

I'm really disappointed with the game overall. I mentioned it in my first post in this thread a year ago that it looked really promising after the preview I read in Edge, but for the reasons that I've outlined I just don't think it's a very good game, and a real waste considering what it could have been.

2 stars from me I'm afraid. I'm glad I didn't buy it on release.

I really liked this, it kinda reminded me of a few games. Gregory Horror show being one. 

I'm a big fan of the cyclic time mechanic that this, the last express and Majora's mask use.

There is something inherently gamey about everything following a preset route and death is simply an opportunity to try again and do it right the 2nd time.

It's the same reason I really like Hitman and even the older COD games (when everything was very scripted, rather than AI driven)

I really like it as a narrative mechanic too, Source Code and Live,die, Repeat  spring to mind.

I liked it but thought it didn't get as involved as I hoped it would. I'm pretty sure I've made this post already but I'm going again.

It sets up things as though there will be loads more "clockwork" and systems like a hitman game but in the end is actually fairly simplistic, which is a bit of a shame. It's worth the 4 quid is apparently on for as a bit of a curio. Admittedly I probably projected a lot of "wouldn't it be cool if.." ideas from playing the first case or two and I shouldn't have expected so much but still. Hopefully a deeper sequel gets made.

On 17/06/2018 at 06:57, Orko said:

It’s a decent game for the price of a medium latte from costa. The switch version is nigh on unplayable, though. Room transitions freeze for sometimes up to a minute, or crash altogether. 

I finished this over Christmas on the Switch and never experienced any of the reported problems.  I played it mostly docked.

Both, bizarrely. Don't remember now if it happened on one more than the other; it was frustrating either way! What would happen would be you'd transition rooms and it would either freeze on the loading screen, or load you in quickly, you'd take a few steps and then it would freeze for ages before letting you carry on. 

• 3 years later...