Star Wars Battlefront 2

gospvg

I suspect I'd be having more fun if I wasn't on fucking Naboo almost always playing as a fucking prequel droid :)

On my XBox it's running like dogshit. On my Pro it's lovely. I'm getting an X so I'll wait to see what DF make of the performance on launch before I decide which platform I play on. I'm probably going to end up buying it.

9 hours ago, TehStu said:

Trying to take this all in, are the people not liking it used to other shooters? 

I think like the first one it lacks atmosphere. It's just the bit in-between when the sound effects are ringing out from your own gun seem empty.

These games are a bit Battlefield Lite and I think everyone would prefer the normal Battlefield chaos with vehicles going every direction.

I know I would.

6 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I think like the first one it lacks atmosphere.

The atmosphere and the spectacle are the only reasons to play the first one, I think.  I've been playing it a fair bit again recently and as a shooter it's absolute shit, but it's still superb fun to just be in and around because they totally nailed the Star Wars atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I suspect I'd be having more fun if I wasn't on fucking Naboo almost always playing as a fucking prequel droid

I mean, I only played twice, but this was both matches and I'm certain it's tempered my opinion, too. The first match was quite one-sided, but the second was much more like it. We were in Overtime at the final objective for about 5 minutes.

I THINK I like the crates system, it should hopefully lead to more variety in loadouts, and might just allow for some new players to escape being steamrolled and not enjoying it thus giving up really soon. Because there were definite freaks playing who could insta-kill the entire enemy team in my matches. 

I definitely do like the points over icons system for specials, because there's nothing worse than some dick getting the Falcon and blowing it up 10 seconds later because I ... um .. THEY ... didn't know what the hell the controls were. Such players probably don't deserve the best toys, and as long as there is still some chance of us them getting to run around in other modes, or when the ultra-serious diehards are all in their own games, then earning the best stuff should pretty much always be a staple of videogames.

I'm not sure I'll be there day one, but it's going to be irresistible at any sub-£30 price.

Right, in the Assault ground game I was being absolutely munched. Switched to jump trooper and then savaged everyone. Starfighter was a lot more fun, turned the deadzone down to 10% and the response curve to about 80% and it felt a ton better than the original. 

7 hours ago, Vin said:

Right, in the Assault ground game I was being absolutely munched. Switched to jump trooper and then savaged everyone. Starfighter was a lot more fun, turned the deadzone down to 10% and the response curve to about 80% and it felt a ton better than the original. 

Listen to this man.

I just did that with star fighter and had a lot of fun, way better than before. Whipping through the space station blasting rebel scum in my tie fighter, it was almost like the bit in the trailers at several points.

9 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

guns overheat too quickly

The heat bar is just an inverted ammo counter. Reload after you expend part of the magazine to use it like a regular gun in any FPS, or keep firing until it overheats and risk screwing up the active reload.

It’s (IMO) one of the smarter changes and a nice mechanic.

Ambivalent about this overall; will wait and see.

Didn't realise quite how advantageous the power cards were...obviously we don't know how often you can get scrap but check out TB's examples here...some of the improvements are ridiculous. I'm willing to overlook certain things because Star Wars but these differences are obscene and they won't getting my money unless it's changed dramatically. 

Star Wars stuff from about 10 min mark.

13 hours ago, Kauwiks said:

The heat bar is just an inverted ammo counter. Reload after you expend part of the magazine to use it like a regular gun in any FPS, or keep firing until it overheats and risk screwing up the active reload.

It’s (IMO) one of the smarter changes and a nice mechanic.

Ambivalent about this overall; will wait and see.

I understand that. However, it feels like the guns have about 6 bullets before they need to "reload". 

Anyone else having issues with southpaw on fighter squadron?

It should just swap sticks (and that’s what it says it does7 but swaps them and puts yaw on the throttle and roll on the pitch.

Other variants have similar issues

I'm feeling much happier with this now I've put a few more hours in. @Kauwiks is right about the overheating mechanic - unlike in the first one, you can't just stop firing and rely on the auto-cooldown, you actually have to manually cool as frequently as possible. It also requires a little bit more thought and planning than the first one; you need to be constantly focussed on the objectives, rather than running around blasting and occasionally remembering to check in on them.

I'm still not entirely sure the classes are balanced correctly, as almost everyone seems to go for the heavy, and the sniper class seems pretty pointless on the smaller map. It definitely needs some prettifying before release, there's some bad pop-in on vanilla PS4. And somehow it doesn't feel quite as Star Wars-y as the first, though maybe that's just the lack of original trilogy maps in the beta. But I'm pretty confident I'll be happy pew-pewing away on this for a good while.

Enjoyed what I played - but not enough to blow £50 on it.

It's still very very pretty, and got the large scale combat stuff will. (The Taekonda map less so) - but it's still all a bit too uninvolving.

Classes - felt different enough, but on the game modes/maps avaialble, heavies seemed to dominate.

The gameplay system didn't feel like it did chokepoints/indoors well.

Like the fact that everyone's basic load out in locked, but a bit worried about the variance in Star Card power.

Earning Battlepoints to unlock new stuff is a good change.

End of game screens seem silly. You mean the chap that got most kills, did most damage and got most points! Wowwwwww

A decent SP campaign could push me towards buying, but I'm not expecting it to be much beyond MP with some lackluster bots and over produced cutscenes.

This is the third most expensive game made?!!?

Not sure if it has been covered already but the only thing that is detracting from this for me is the fact I coming to the Beta off the back of nearly 4 weeks solid playing Destiny 2 so the gameplay and general shooting mechanics feel horribly slow and clunky.

This isn't really a problem for me as I loved the first one and all they seem to have done here is polished the visuals, tightened up the mechanics and expanded every area. I really like how the upgrades, heroes, vehicles, etc are triggered by a point system rather than collecting tokens on the Battlefield because really that was pure gash!

Cant wait for the full thing and to play on maps that don't remind me how bad Star Wars got for a few years :)

I suppose it depends on the target demographic. Is it us old farts, or are they trying to capture the younger crowed for whom the Prequels were likely their introduction to Star Wars? I'm guessing old farts will buy it regardless, "because it's Star Wars".

Without getting into a religious discussion, some youngsters prefer the prequels, and now the new films. My daughter turns her nose up at ANH, like it was media studies project filmed on a camcorder.

As infinitely watchable as I find the original three, I don't think any of them are particularly great films. However, elements of the filming itself, the vehicle, character and general world designs - the universe itself - is second to none.  They're undeniably iconic, especially to people of a certain age.  Kinda gives the shitty gameplay of battlefront a free pass from me.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:08, Doctor Shark said:

They may not be the greatest examples of film making, in the same way that Harry Potter books aren't the greatest examples of literature

That's what I was attempting to get across, but done fucked up. 

Were heroes available in the beta and did they make them feel more powerful this time, if so?  They felt like ordinary characters, bulletspongealised in the first game.  Vader and Luke had some cool moves but there was absolutely no feeling of weight about them.