gospvg

Star Wars Battlefront 2

1 minute ago, Ivanho said:

You need to back that up with some screenshots!

You not going to play?

After playing BF1 (on the PS4 Pro) this quite a comedown in visuals. Seems low res and has a weird chromatic effect on the periphery.

I'm hoping the fact that it's a beta and it'll be enhanced on the One X.

1 minute ago, Pug said:

You not going to play?

After playing BF1 (on the PS4 Pro) this quite a comedown in visuals. Seems low res and has a weird chromatic effect on the periphery.

I'm hoping the fact that it's a beta and it'll be enhanced on the One X.

Don’t have PSN at the moment.  Plus, if I download the demo I’ll never get my son to school in the morning (and me going to work would be at serious risk too!!).  All the videos I’ve seen so far look & sound great so genuinely interested in some proper non PR screenshots & opinions.  Only had a PS4 for a couple of months so have never played BF1 or any of the other popular FPS’s.

If you didn’t get on with the first one I doubt there’s much for you here.

I liked the first one, though and this seems more of the same. The 20 v 20 doesn’t seem as good as Walker assault because the walkers were huge and that was great fun.

The flight controls are still fucked, reccomend taking roll off the left stick, too easy to roll it when adjusting throttle. It’s a shame (irritating) that you can’t re assign roll to the shoulder buttons.

Looked decent on my Pro. Frame rate is a bit janky but I’d expect that in a beta multiplayer where they’re still trying to refine the net code and updating.

Not as amazing looking as I’d hoped but again, I would guess that some of the graphical effects are turned off in the beta.

Loot boxes can fuck off, mainly due to the tedious element of watching the animation play out each time.

roger roger 

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

If you didn’t get on with the first one I doubt there’s much for you here.

This entirely. It's never gonna stand up against other shooters but if you're a Star Wars fan it's almost a must have. Having said that, I'm not overly impressed with the beta, the controls for aiming seem either really sluggish or stupidly fast depending on sensitivity, same with the ship controls. The bigger hero ships like Slave I seem almost TOO big compared to everything else to the point where I slowly rotated around a bit before every single fighter shot me to pieces. 

Not a fan of the micro-transaction star cards either, the fact cards "rank" up seems a bit shite as someone who spends money will clearly have a higher chance of upgrading cards faster. They said you can craft your own but at this point we have no idea how frequently that'll be or whether it'll take ages to get enough scrap to make a card. Either way, I think it's a step in the wrong direction. 

Having played the three modes, I actually enjoyed the smallest mode the best as it gave me time to think about positioning and I had great fun moving around the top of Maz's castle sniping. The starfighter assault which looked SO good in the gameplay vids of it looked great and felt intense but I think at the moment at least it's marred by the issues noted above. The big 40 v 40 again looked great, watching the tank slowly roll up the Naboo straight was pretty cool and the battle outside the palace was also pretty great...it just fell apart a bit inside. Reminded me of the awful Cloud City DLC where both teams were funnelled down tight corridors and no-one really got anywhere, the defenders essentially won time and time again because they weren't relying on reinforcement count. 

Will keep playing it over the next few days and see if I adjust to it or something clicks but atm at least I'm less hyped for it than I was when the original came out, and this supposedly has more to hook you. 

• Upvote 1

Played a few more hours after posting initial thoughts, and still very much enthused by the multiplayer ground battles. Played a few more aeriel battles and wouldn't be fussed if I never played another; controls are completely unintuitive, even after quite a few games. Loading, flying awkwardly for 30 seconds and then respawning to do the same isn't much fun. At least on the ground you have a bit more variety, and you can go on little runs before having to respawn.

Agree with @Varsity and the concerns about loot boxes and microtransactions. Hope these are balanced to keep the game feeling inclusive. Don't mind getting hammered as a low-skill player, it's a learning curve after all. Getting beat up because someone ploughed more coin into the game is the sort of thing that would have me scurrying back to single player experiences. I know the flipside is, they paid more so should get to enjoy some benefits but perhaps distribution of players per game based on rank / cards can be nuanced to account that.

As Star Wars fan service I admit it gets more leeway than Generic War Shooter VI but on the whole pretty positive.

I’m really not sure about this. Default movement is so slow that it feels like you’re wading through treacle, and the gunplay isn’t particularly fun. I enjoyed the space battle level, but that was made much less fun than it could have been by the terrible flight controls. I assume that these controls are in place so that flying vehicles aren’t massively overpowered on the normal levels,  but if that’s the case they should do something about balancing instead.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

I’m really not sure about this. Default movement is so slow that it feels like you’re wading through treacle, and the gunplay isn’t particularly fun. I enjoyed the space battle level, but that was made much less fun than it could have been by the terrible flight controls. I assume that these controls are in place so that flying vehicles aren’t massively overpowered on the normal levels,  but if that’s the case they should do something about balancing instead.

Yeah, the space controls are improved from the first game but still don't seem particularly intuitive and with limited options of remapping the controls.  Perhaps it is about balancing when they used on levels with foot soldiers but it is strange since Rogue Leader nailed the feel of flying a ship years ago. 

Sticking roll on the left stick with throttle is ridiculous, especially since you could use the left stick to pitch slightly in the first game (or did I imagine that?)

I found the flying on the assault match pretty pointless, I couldn't make out anyone on the ground. Space Battle was a lot better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

what trick?

18 hours ago, Radish said:

It's possible to instantly get an early access key even if you didn't pre order. Stolen from gaf:

I had to refresh it a few times as the website would hang after clicking "email us", but eventually it worked and the code arrived instantly. 

The one I linked to in the above post (you'll have to click the link to go back to the post to see the quote).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ashmatuk said:

I don’t mind loot boxes if it means no season pass.

If they were purely cosmetic like Overwatch's I'd agree with you but the way the card system is done it looks like pay to win. 

this is 100% better than the first, and although people can pick up and play, the BF massive have definitely been catered for here, BF light I would call it. ADS is much more improved and ive found myself really enjoying the ebb and flow of the matches. I love the points system unlocking characters and ships as you progress.

Fan service theres nothing like it and the cues of the main anthems kicking in raise a smile everytime. The weapons really lack the punch of Destiny but its not a deal breaker.

I'll defo keep my pre order and think with an organized squad you could really rinse it, but I do think they have catered for all parties here and offer a complete package for first timers who just love star wars and the BF peeps.

• Upvote 1

After having gone back to the original earlier for a brief stint in the glorious 40 player modes, the on foot stuff does definitely feel a lot more sluggish. Gonna try tweaking senstivity again tonight and see if there's a sweet spot somewhere. 

33 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Just played a couple of rounds of the beta.

Meh.

Yeah, same as that. And the controls for the starfighter assault are hideous.

• Upvote 1

I know the first one came in for a lot of flak for being super-shallow, but I really enjoyed it. It stripped out so many of the inaccessible, unexplained extras that burden most online shooters and made it so anybody could dip in and have fun. It's the only online shooter where I could ever regularly finish in the top half, rather than scrapping about at the bottom of the table with the rest of the losers.

This feels like a clumsy halfway-house between that and a full-on Battlefield. The characters all move more slowly and heavily, the weapons overheat really quickly then take forever to cool down again, and there's a load of classes that require the sort of teamwork that isn't really possible if you're just dipping in for the odd game every now and again. There's still time to fix some of that, but I'm a bit worried.

On top of that, it's nowhere near as pretty as the first one. How did they manage that?!

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Yeah, same as that. And the controls for the starfighter assault are hideous.

Sounds like a similar problem from the first. I have no idea why they didn't pull the jet controls from BF 4 as they are utterly fantastic. The same happened in the single player of BF1. They used the god damn awful BattleFront controls for the single player flying missions. It's just overly dumbed down and shit.