gospvg

Star Wars Battlefront 2

All Multiplayer modes on their arse. Was playing Galactic Assault, came out to do some Starfighter and now can’t get into a game with it telling me MY connection to the servers has something wrong with it.

Brilliant. Just brilliant! Unless I am missing something and there is a patch or an update happening this is nonsense!

33 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

Wish I hadn’t managed to get a game just now. 10 minutes of rubber banding and misfiring weapons.

Rubber banding you say?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-24-how-star-wars-battlefront-2-players-are-using-rubber-bands-to-cheat-their-way-to-credits

But fellow reddit user F0ngen proved there's actually a much simpler way to cheat your way to credits, using a couple of classic rubber bands. F0ngen showed that by attaching a rubber band around each toggle stick and securing its placement to the back of the controller, it actually does the same as Lowberg's robot by keeping the character moving and avoiding being booted as AFK.

C52BDF2E-DBDC-4EA3-B350-AD4905F4CBB0.jpeg

I remember in WoW someone setting up a desk fan on rotate that, via a simple contraption, would press the space bar making the character jump. Thus they could go AFK in PvP battlegrounds racking up XP, it's like no one learns from other peoples mistakes.

Servers have been fucked for days now, just like they were in the first one.

Frustrating enough on foot and your controls freeze for a few seconds to let the server catch up, worse in a starFighter squadron when you fly straight into a star destroyer.

This is one of the buggiest games I've played this year. In 2 days of playing I've seen:

• Textures not loading
  • getting stuck in geometry
  • the bullshit 'freeze you in place while server catches up' that sometimes never ends
  • getting stuck on menus
  • camera spawning below the map
  • lighting not loading for interiors
  • Bodies appearing and crumbling to the ground
  • getting stuck on spawning screen

I've shipped games before and pretty much any of these would've blocked submission. It's ludicrous, the loot boxes are almost a distraction to how rushed the rest of the game is. When I get a smooth game it's fun but this definitely needed a March 2018 release. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2017 at 10:19, mushashi said:

Without MTX revenue, they'd be marginally profitable or loss making.

I'm not sure I actually care. If they need to scale back to what's sustainable, that's fine with me. The whole thing is artificially escalated as new tech is foisted on consumers anyway.

All these whales that prop up the industry can do it without me.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Geo said:

• Textures not loading
  • the bullshit 'freeze you in place while server catches up' that sometimes never ends
  • getting stuck on menus

Must be an EA/Frostbite thing. I got most of these with Battlefield 1 and Mass Effect Andromeda too. Always fun. <_<

8 hours ago, Geo said:

This is one of the buggiest games I've played this year. In 2 days of playing I've seen:

• Textures not loading
  • getting stuck on menus

I've shipped games before and pretty much any of these would've blocked submission. It's ludicrous, the loot boxes are almost a distraction to how rushed the rest of the game is. When I get a smooth game it's fun but this definitely needed a March 2018 release. 

Yep, on a moment-to-moment basis, the loot boxes aren't even the biggest issue. The single player is buggy and riddled with issues that suggest a lack of playtesting: unclear objectives, weird difficulty spikes and appalling checkpointing being the main ones. And the multiplayer is frequently broken to the point of being unplayable, sometimes literally as it won't even launch from the main menu.

I know the first one had its problems, but I had a hell of a lot of fun with it. At the moment, this game is a mess, to an extent I genuinely didn't think happened with AAA releases anymore. Coming into this, off the back of Mario Odyssey... fucking hell. What a contrast.

I had one game start with no characters, everyone was invisible. I presumed it was just me as the game was carrying on.

Must say that I am enjoying it though in spite of the loot shenanigans.

The MP is 95% broken and 5% wow. It’s the 5% that hasn’t already seen my copy sent to CEX in disgrace.

That small window where it works delivers great Star Wars spectacle which will become all the more essential when The Last Jedi comes out. Unfortunately, given Dice’s track record, I’m not overly optimistic that it will be running perfectly by then either. This is a Q1 2018 game released in Q4 2017.

The loot crates don’t bother me at all. Admittedly, you wouldn’t know how much they break the balance of the game in its current state anyway, but their contents really aren’t that big a deal and I certainly wouldn’t consider paying for anything I’ve seen in them.

On 11/23/2017 at 16:19, mushashi said:

Prior to the rise in MTX systems being introduced into games, several of the big publishers were either marginally profitable or loss making, EA lost more than $2 Billion for several years and this was during the phase when people were applauding them for taking creative risks like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge. The only publically listed games publisher to consistently make money has been Activision-Blizzard, but they had several of the biggest sellers and a highly successful MMO and stopped making a lot of stuff to solely run their winners into the ground.

EA have recently started making a lot of money thanks in a large part to how successful Ultimate Team has been for them, now it is embedded in all their annual sports games. Without MTX revenue, they'd be marginally profitable or loss making.

Take-Two has basically only ever made money when they managed to get a new GTA out, now they might actually be consistently profitable due to pushing MTX.

You have to look at the overall company when it comes to these sorts of things, if one game is massively profitable, that has to carry the rest of the team which might be loss making or marginally profitable, as in the case of Take-Two. The rest of their games might be profitable to some extent, but the overheads in the business wipes that out to the extent that the overall company loses money more times than it makes money.

Disney bailed out of games because even they, with their premier brands couldn't be consistently profitable making games, and they lost money in a number of years before shutting that division down. If LucasArts was such a money spinner with the Star Wars brand used for free, then you'd have to ask why Disney chose to become a landlord instead of capturing all that lovely financial upside from making Star Wars games themselves inhouse?

What is 'MTX'?

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

(Armchair) analyst speak for 'microtransactions'.

It's actually the officially shorthand for it, certainly much easier to type than microtransactions everytime you have to mention it, considering the amount of times you'd need to write it out these days, even Visa use the term.

https://developer.visa.com/capabilities/mtx/reference

• Downvote 1

Senior management from both EA and Lucasfilm have been talking recently, basically confirming some things. EA's CFO was asked directly why they didn't go down the cosmetics MTX route like Overwatch did, and he basically confirms the earlier report about DICE getting vetoed by Disney:

When asked why EA didn't then pursue a microtransactions model centered around cosmetic items instead of gameplay boosts, Jorgensen said the company is working with LucasArts on ways to do cosmetic items, but added it's not as easy as it sounds when dealing with an established IP.

"The one thing we're very focused on and they're extremely focused on is not violating the canon of Star Wars," Jorgensen said. "It's an amazing brand that's been built over many, many years. So if you did a bunch of cosmetic things, you might start to violate the canon. Darth Vader in white probably doesn't make sense, versus in black. Not to mention you probably don't want Darth Vader in pink. No offense to pink, but I don't think that's right in the canon."

The examples he gives are extremely tame compared to what Blizzard can offer people to buy, if even a mere palette swap violates canon, actually desirable to buy new skins wouldn't fly.

Lucasfilm also confirmed they do keep a very tight leash on people using their brand, to the extent they have weekly meetings and site visits, so they approved Battlefront 2 in the way it was released, which also confirms the comments from ex-Visceral devs about how much of a PITA it is using the brand.

“Yeah, that’s very much true,” Luasfilm brand boss Douglas Reilly told GamesBeat last week. “We have a games team here that I run, that meets with all of our partners, and particularly we spend a lot of time with EA, both on the marketing side and the production teams. We bring in Lucasfilm’s story team to help us shape and build the stories we’re telling, so they fit in the continuity of all the other things we’re doing with the Star Wars universe. So yes, we’re very hands-on.”

That involved strategy has the two companies spending a lot of time together.

“In general, we’ll have weekly meetings between the production teams and the marketing teams, with either EA in Redwood Shores or the individual teams in Stockholm and Montreal and Vancouver, wherever they have studios,” said Reilly. “We have weekly meetings. Then we regularly go and visit in person, probably once a quarter, to sit with them, play builds of the games, walk through progress and where we’re going in the future. We’re constantly talking, meeting, and engaging with them in a very collaborative way.”

GamesBeat: That reminds me—I think I was talking to someone who works at DICE while seeing Battlefront II at E3. They mentioned they were going to try to do something like an Overwatch mode, where the heroes would have different abilities, you’d have team composition and the like, and then the heroes would also have their own cosmetic items that players could get. As far as I could tell, based on playing the game, they didn’t have that. Do you remember anything about that? Is that something that happened?

Douglas Reilly: I don’t remember any specific conversations about trying to match any Overwatch features. The reality of it is, we’re always going to be constantly evolving, in live services, the kinds of things we offer to players. Assuming it stays within continuity and it’s on brand, we’re always going to try to bring new experiences to fans as part of the live services, but I can’t comment specifically anything like that.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/26/lucasfilm-oversees-electronic-arts-star-wars-games-with-weekly-meetings/

The weird thing about Battlefront's canon is that it only extends to the character itself. I mean, yeah, we don't have the Emperor in a pink robe, but we do have him bunny hoping around Hoth spamming force lightning. I assume that's carefully curated across any use of the SW characters.

• Upvote 4