rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Professor Rob

Jay Rayner reviews Le Cinq, Paris

7 hours ago, Tourist said:

It feels to me very much like the good things he says are written to provide a pretext for the drubbing - and in any case they pertain entirely to the nightclub aspect of the nightclub he has visited (and as a review of a nightclub it's awfully written and as a nightclub it sounds awful to anyone who isn't a cardigan-wearing pompous restaurant reviewer).

I don't recognise him from your description. The "cardigan-wearing" dig is lost on me. "Pompous" is a loaded word. He knows his stuff and speaks his mind. Some people call that pompous, I certainly don't.

Here's a video of him talking about his piano playing. He's frequently self-deprecating and doesn't wear a cardigan even once

• Upvote 1

Changed days when people think Jay Rayner is pompous, compared to Gill or Meades he's quite considered and earnest. Although you could argue their invective filled take downs better fit an era when food media (all media) wasn't long past the point of parody. Hard to beat the time Meades reviewed a Planet Hollywood, slagging off the staff, customers, decor and everything else only devoting a single line to...

"The food, incidentally, is crap." :lol:

• Upvote 2

I dunt think he's that pompous. His reviews are overwritten (that's his style, I just don't like it generally) and I've made a point of going to a few places he's recommended that have been very disappointing. 

I like him the best out of the celebrity judges on master chef and I don't think he's dishonest. 

I don't mind Jay Rayner – he's an entertaining writer, and his targets do tend to be the more pretentious establishments where the food doesn't quite match the price or the hype. If it's good food or good value for money, he'll say so. I like Grace Dent for the same reasons.

One reviewer I can't stand is William Sitwell, who just acts like a spoilt, petulant child most of the time.

On 23/03/2018 at 16:47, MarkN said:

For many years when I worked in the games industry I was a Creative Manager, and as such would get to review the CVs of artists who'd applied for a job - occasionally with a  view to hiring them for my team, usually just to whittle the wheat from the chaff so the company could just keep the half-decent ones on record. Out of the many dozens of CVs I reviewed for a job as a professional artist maybe 5% were truly great, another 25% were good enough, and another 60% were varying degrees of bad. The last 10% were truly awful. Not just bad - absolutely piss-poor, far below GCSE level, utterly wretched. They had no business sending them in, but they did so to try to win a well-paid job - either deluded or chancing it.

I've hired developers in my time, my favourite one remains the woman who when asked to take a programming test said "Oh I don't code, I expect my team to do that".

In an interview for a senior developer.

• Upvote 2

I couldn't find a general restaurant reviewer thread, so though this was the best place to post this.

A really interesting (and sad) article talking about the responsibility restaurant reviewers have towards the businesses they review.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/stanichs-closed-will-it-reopen-burger-quest?fbclid=IwAR0cv7kM1Ta0t4CvUoEbMGLOvzjIGXBoMZaN3CEUVzMdD0YXTJMpPLGNZv8

• Upvote 6